Shower Problem happening again

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
drussel

Post by drussel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:55 am

I'm going through the shower anxiety again. I go into a full anxiety mode while taking a shower.

Post by 2007 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:15 am

yes i do the same thing,i stop taking baths cause it got bad,then i started taking showers and its worse...

Bernadette Orosco

Post by Bernadette Orosco » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 am

I know we can beat this problem and we will. I just feel out of control. Now, I'm getting angry over it. I had such a panic attack I had to leave the house. I'm I crazy or what?

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:31 am

When you have anxiety or panic attacks in the shower, you have to use your skills from the prrogram, right there while you're still in the shower. Make sure you tell yourself the TRUTH, that you are fine, because you ARE. Every thime you get in the bath or the shower, don't get out when you start feeling bad, stay right there and let it pass. That is the way to put a stop to it. I know it's true because I went through it too.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:34 am

I have the same problem. It has been so bad in the past that I could not take a shower or bath unless my husband was in the bedroom. I don't know why I am afraid to be in the shower except that I am naked and wet and therefore can't run away if I need to.
I have been able to find some relief by purchasing a clear shower curtain. It seems to help me feel not so trapped. If anyone has an idea why we feel this way I would LOVE to know.

Admin_1

Post by Admin_1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 am

I truely feel hopeless and afraid. Almost like a little child with no control, even though I do. The water frightens me, where even though I can't I feel like I could drowned.

goodwillchic

Post by goodwillchic » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 am

You aren't alone! I had this when my anxiety was really bad (then I went through half the program and stopped because I was 'better' and then it came back a year later =).

My husband would have to stand in the bathroom while I showered. I remember trying to wash myself so quickly before I passed out or died (negative thinking...nothing EVER happened to me in reality). It was so traumatic for me to simply bathe! Yet, I feel like I am 'dirty' if I don't shower every day, so there was no escaping it!!

I think one thing that helped was to tell myself over and over that I would be fine. Sometimes yelling back at the anxiety helps too, "Shut up! I'm not listening to you anymore because you are a liar and nothing is going to happen!" Sometimes that helps me more than anything...
Anyhow, take care and praise yourself for continuing to shower in spite of your fear!!

Ocean

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:17 am

Boy, If I stop showing I'm really going to be in trouble. The anxiety is so strong.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 am

i get this same exact thing! and the hot eater sometimes makes me feel like fainting and lethargic! does anyone else get this?

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:14 am

Guys it's true.It's all about the being wet and naked and something bad happening.I have this everyday!!!It drives me nuts because then I keep thinking back on it all day.you know like "why can't I just feel normal in the shower?"everyday it's the same thing.We have to stop this!!deedee00 is exactly right!We can't run from this and we should be proud of ourselves for going ahead and taking that shower everyday!If we could just turn it around like this we would feel better and I bet that eventually the feelings will go away.Remember that the relief doesn't usually come quick.Freedom is a fight but the victory is well wroth it!!You guys are not alone nor are we crazy!We just keep adding fears.That's all,we feed our minds with things that scare us.Let's all work really hard this week to let those shower fears go and just relax when we're in there.Take care and God Bless!!

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”