Growth Spurt related to heart palpitation and physical pain

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
layclulu

Post by layclulu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 am

Hi All

I have gone thru the program many times. I have done personal coaching and private counseling. I feel I am so much better than I used to be and can see over the years how I can help ease the symptoms of stress by eating right, exercising, relaxing, etc. The problem I have with my current growth spurt. I still get occasional skipped heart beats and one doesn't get me down too much anymore, but having several sends me into a panic. Yesterday morning I was feeling great and even walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes which I haven't done in some time as exercising sometimes gives me anxiety to I just don't do it anymore to avoid the symptoms (I plan to work on it more though). While at work, my heart started to palpitate and I got very scared. Then my chest hurt and this came and went over a few hours. A few times I felt like I was short of breath and of course I jumped right back into my old scary thoughts of feeling I was having a heart attack. I didn't know if I would be able to continuing working, but I made it. I was so keyed up the rest of the night I finally took a xanax which took the edge off a little bit but I still had the tight chest and feeling it was hard to breath. My heart rate and BP were normal. I really considered about going to the ER because these symptoms were really concerning me. I have never went to the ER for anxiety. I have had problems with esophageal spasms in the past and lately have not been watching my diet. It felt it was an esophageal spasm and this morning my chest and back are still sore and burning. The thought of this going on today makes me want to cry....I don't feel I can handle it.

My problem really being that I feel the body symptoms such as palpitation and chest pain and then the panic starts in. I don't usually have panic then the symptoms. The symptoms cause me panic. Last year I had a few weeks of weird palpitations so I went and had them checked out with a holter monitor, 30 day monitor, stress echo test and it all turned out okay. I have been to the Dr. with all these problems. I should be assured that I'm okay...right?

I realize that I'm super sensitive and have a low pain tolerance. I just never know what to do about this. It happens infrequently but when it comes on, I freak out. My anxiety has always been about my body symptoms and worrying I'm going to die and have a heart attack and mostly, this happening when I'm at school or work or out with friends. This, I feel, if I could overcome or deal with it better I could progress in so many other ways, such as returning to exercise or walking up stairs. I seem to be able to deal with symptoms of anxiety related to public speaking and such, but I still can't get over the fear of dying when I feel awful. When I feel great, I can conquer the world....when I feel bad, I don't want to get out of bed.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been here?

Ms. Hopeful

Post by Ms. Hopeful » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Hello, just keep taking those steps forward. I have been through the program once and I am going through it a second time. I too am better in some areas but also struggle when I get the heart palpitations. In fact, I just went to Kohls and the palpitations started like my heart was going to jump out of my chest, so I got to my vehicle as quick as possible, drove home and now they are completely gone! I HATE them and I am still learning to not be moved. I know it is a process and we can't let ourselves get discouraged. Life is a journey and we will all have good days and bad. (talking to myself here too). I have completely been where you are and I understand the frustration. Just hang in there and know you are not where you used to be! Take care.

Nance Lynn

Post by Nance Lynn » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Lacylulu,

When I read your post, I felt like I could have written it. I started the program last March and was doing great, that I didn't finish yet because I felt so good all the time. ......Until last week. When you wrote you wanted to cry, that is exactly what I did on the way home from work. I have been having chest pains,palpitations and the panic for the last week and no matter what I tell myself and all that I have learned, it doesn't seem to help. That it made my cry because I feel like such a failure. So I thought I would get back into the chatting with others in my situation. I think the more the think about the palpitations and the chest pains, then you start second guessing yourself and wonder if you are dying of a heart attack. But, I am convinced it is anxiety, but okay I want these symptoms to quit. So hang in there, and I will look for your posts to see how you are doing.

Kathy1365

Re: Growth Spurt related to heart palpitation and physical p

Post by Kathy1365 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:40 pm

I am dealing with the same thing. It's very frustrating but we are not alone.

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”