Fibromyalgia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have massive pain in my feet, back, neck and shoulders. I go to the chiropractor 2xs per week and try to get a massage once a week or 2 weeks. I have taken a neurontin but it did not work it made my nerves feel hot and now I am taking Lyrica. The doctors could not find anything to help me so they have me on an antidepressant as well. This pain has stressed me out so much with all the doctors appointments, test, and pain that I now have high blood pressure so I take that along with one xanax a day to help me sleep. Is there really hope? Will this go away? I am on my 5th week of the program and I started swimming a little last week? I feel pain once I start to excercise, at night is when I feel the burning in my back and legs. Does anyone else feel this way?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 pm

I am so sorry you have this terrible condition. I was originally diagnosed in 1988. I was REALLY bad back then, but I don't recall the burning pain. I had awful pain in the same way as you, but I specifically remember my feet hurting SO BAD. I would tell my husband I did not even want to get out of bed and touch them to the floor some days. I tried it all back then - DON'T do the anti-inflammatories would be my advice to you! Also, avoid Tylenol products. My rheumatologist put me on Non-steriodal anti-inflammatories and mega doses of Tylenol. Within a year, I had MAJOR liver problems on top of everything else.

Now, I am having a bad flare-up this summer for some reason - my naturalist says a lot of people with FM are having a bad summer. BUT - the good news is, this is only the third major flare-up I've had in 20 years.

I have found the best relief from natural health remedies. I see a chiropractor/nutritionist, an acupuncturist, and a massage therapist. My MD knows of all of my natural healthcare, and encourages it as it has given me the most relief. The other thing that helped me in the past (and that I MUST start again) is water aerobics. Now, when I did water aerobics about 15 or 16 years ago, I will tell you that I started in the elderly arthritic class for water aerobics. I was the only person in the class in my 30's, and I thought I would be embarrassed. But let me tell you, those people LOVED me, and I loved them. They were so encouraging and helpful. And the best part was - I could keep up with them! It made it easier for me knowing I wouldn't be the only person in the class that could not do what the others were doing.

The other MAJOR component to getting over FM is ATTITUDE! You HAVE to tell yourself every day that you are going to beat this thing. On the days you don't want to get up, do it anyway. Even if it's only for a couple of hours at a time. DO NOT STAY IN BED! It makes the pain worse which makes the depression worse which makes the pain worse... It's a never-ending cycle if you don't get up and go. Take a short walk outside or in the yard. Get lots of sunlight - through the windows, etc., if it's too hot where you live. Don't stay in the dark. Also, take Epsom salt baths alternating with Apple Cider Vinegar baths. I take an Epsom salt bath 2 to 3 times a week: 2 cups Epsom salt and 1 cup of Baking Soda to a tub of water - soak for 20 minutes. Don't soak for longer than 20 minutes in Epsom salt bath. Then, I take 2 to 3 Apple Cider Vinegar baths a week: 3 cups Organic Apple Cider vinegar to tub of water. Soak for up to 45 minutes. Drink LOTS of water. If you can tolerate it, squeeze organic lemons into your water 3 to 4 times a day. I have bad acid reflux, so this is hard for me, but I try!

If you want to talk more, just let me know. I am much better this week after seeing my acupuncturist last week. I go in to see him again tomorrow, and my chiro/naturalist tomorrow, too. She uses Applied Kinesiology and gives me supplements based on my muscle testing (if you don't know about AK and muscle testing, ask me, and I will talk to you about it). One of the supplements that helped me most in 2001 was Magnesium.

Hope to hear back from you and I really wish you well. If you ever need to talk, just shoot me an email - nanajune@netzero.com.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi NanaJune, thank you for the encouragement and ideas for baths. What do you think of the accupuncturist? Are you taking any meds? What do you think of the Lyrica or antidepressant remeron? I am still sticking to my swimming 3xs per week, I only do 20 laps and walk 10 times in the pool, but its a lot more than I did last year. I also did the water aerobics with the elderly. They were probably 40 years older then me. I am 35 and man they worked out better then me. I have been on disability now for 2 years and I need to go see my podiatrist, because the pain started on the feet, so I can get more time off. I have a 2 year old baby and an 11 year old and just the daily duties of caring the baby are way to hard for me. Help

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:08 am

I LOVE the accupuncturist. He helps me alot. He is oriental and is very different from all of the other doctors I see. He takes a completely different approach to things. He says all things to do with health in the body have to do with energy. The thing about acupuncture is that it takes time, so you have to be patient. He only approaches the "energy" in one area of the body at a time. Then, when that area is "working," he moves on to the next. Sometimes I have to go in three times a week, but it is definitely worth it. Also, if you don't see improvement after one or two visits, DON'T GIVE UP! He says when things have been "broken" for a long time, it takes time for them to remember how to work and to begin functioning properly again. Now, I am going to give you a specific case that happened to me. I had not been having regular menstrual cycles for about 10 years. My gyno said it was partially due to the fibromyalgia, and she said I was in early periomenopause. I started having hot flashes in my mid to late 30's. As I was going through my visits with my acupuncturist two years ago this month, he said my energy to my ovaries was WAY out of balance. He worked on me twice and he had me see an accupressure therapist twice. Let me tell you, I have not missed a period since that last accupressure session! I also quit having hot flashes! But the point is, it took 2 sessions with him and 2 sessions with the accupressure therapist over a three week timeframe - it didn't just happen overnight.

I do not take any meds except for all natural. I take alot of ionic Molybedenum (I don't know if that's spelled right!) that I get from my chiro along with ionic selenium and other all natural supplements. I take Plant Enzymes for inflammation which helps ALOT with inflammation. You can get Bromelaine at the health food store (it's from pineapple), and it is a GREAT anti-inflammatory for pain. I take very high potent, good quality acidophillus on an empty stomach every day. When your digestion is working properly, everything works better and you feel better. When I had really bad digestive problems and reflux, I took 1/2 cup of George's Pure Aloe Vera Juice every morning on an empty stomach with my acidophillus. I no longer have reflux or digestion problems. I don't use any caffeine except for one glass of iced tea for breakfast every morning - I just can't seem to give up that one glass! And I never drink soft drinks unless I have a killer headache that the enzymes won't help. Then, I drink 1 Coke for the phosphoric acid if I'm out of Phos Drops (I get that from my chiro, too). Phos Drops is phosphoric acid that you mix with water and drink for headaches. It is NASTY! But it will stop a headache dead in its tracks. I only take it when I am completely desperate because it is so gross! I can't take Tylenol or Advil, etc. My rheumatologist almost killed my liver with meds in the 80's, so I can't take any pain meds without serious side effects to my liver.

My flare-up is MUCH better this week. I have been forcing myself to go outside and work in the yard every morning (I even mowed and weed-eated the yard last Saturday - yeah me!). Of course, I had repercussive pain all day Sunday and Monday, but I made myself get up and go anyway, and I am much better. I've just been telling myself that I WON'T give in to the pain and I keep moving, moving, moving. I take about a 20 to 30 minute nap in the afternoons, soak every evening just before bedtime, listen to my sessions and relaxation CD's. Oh - I almost forgot. I also have a homeopathic product from my chiro called ER 911. It is a Bach flower remedy (have you ever heard of Bach flowers?). It REALLY helps with the anxiety. If I start having anxiety or think I'm going to panic, I put about 5 or 6 drops under my tongue, and it starts to subside within a few minutes. I even use it on my grandson who is only 4. He has really bad night terrors, and I think he has anxiety already. If he starts, I put about 4 drops in some water and give to him, and he calms down with just a few minutes.

I hope some of this info is helpful. I wish you lived close to Texas. But I think you are doing all the right things. Definitely keep up with the water exercise - you are doing GREAT! That's the one thing I don't do that I wish I could. My dad is about to start water physical therapy. I'm thinking of asking my doc to send me with him (I take care of my elderly dad who has TONS of health problems). I think the water therapy would be great and since I will be taking him anyway, I might as well get in!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 am

Thank you Nana June for your post. I have a lot of health issues going on too and have found much relief from my nutritionist/herbalist. It's good to hear your story. It helps me to know that I am on the right track in finding my own solutions. And I appreciate your suggestions for some of the natural remedies that you have found success with.

I am currently trying to identify what my biggest health issue is. Adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, hyerthyroid, fybromyalgia, PMS/Perimenopause/menopause, intestinal issues, and of course, I have the dreaded anxiety/panic. My nutritionist is working on most of these issues, one at a time. Like you mention, each takes time to recover. I'm thinking that I would like a specific test or tests to verify which is the major thorn in my side, even though I think all may be playing a role in my health. My nutritionist and this program have pretty much gotten control of my panic and most of my anxiety too. I need to focus on these physical issues as they tend to bring on the anxiety.

The pain from fibromyalgia has been a problem for me for well over 10 years. I've been reading about how menopause/hypothyroidism as well as adrenal fatigue can cause some of the same FM type pains. So I am really motivated to find someone that will confirm what the biggest issue is. Maybe it's just FM pain.

Any suggestions in finding a good accupuncturist that works with the same methods that your guy works?

Thanks again for your post. It is very helpful.

Eileen :)

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 am

Thank you Nana June, ok I am going to have to get a nutritionist and accupuncturist. I am scared to be honest. I can't wait until I can sleep on my own without any pills! I live in California so there are a lot of both, I'm just going to have to find them. I will keep you posted.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

Good for you! Yes, please keep me posted. I would like to know how it goes with you. I will keep you in mind for anything else I think of, too. Good luck and I look forward to hearing back.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Eileen, my accupuncturist is out of town for two weeks right now (I ALMOST panicked when he told me he was leaving the country!). When he returns, I can ask him if he knows accupuncturists in your city that practice the same way he does. I would, of course, need to know what city you are in.

I will tell you something else that has helped me with the perimenopause/menopause symptoms that have been trying to return (I AM at that age!), is organic soy milk. My accupuncturist also suggested pomegranite (spelling?) juice, but I just could not drink it!

I will ask Dr. Lee when he returns and let you know what he says.

louie angelone

Post by louie angelone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Thank you Nana June,

You are very helpful. I live close to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo in California. Anyone in that vicinity would be close enough. Thank you also for the organic soy milk and pomegranite juice suggestion.

Talk soon, Eileen :)

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:05 pm

I have been reading everyone's responses. I am new to this website. I have had fibro for a very long time. I had been taking Effexor for years. However just this year I learned that I was allergic to the Effexor. It helped. I just see people talk about alot of the newer treatments. I have used a TENS unit and a Thera-Cane for years. My best advice is when you have a flare get as much sleep as you can. Use a Thera-cane with proper use it increases blood flow to the area that is flared up.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”