Fibromyalgia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:06 am

Soblue...Drs. now also have me on Neurontin to help with arthritis, fibro..I'm on 900mg day..think they need to up it.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:33 am

I have fibromyalgia and found these to work best:
1. Exercise first thing no matter what else is on the menu for the day!
2. Meditate!
3. Surround yourself with positive people and just let go of the negative ones!
4. Get help with programs that will treat your difficulties, like this one!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies Galescats and Meadowlark, I am sorry I haven't responded for a while. Been going thru a bad phase with the anxiety and fibro. I am weaning off the Lexapro and going to try the Cymbalta.
Gaylescats, I'll have to research the Neurontin. I sure hope it helps. Let me know.
Meadowlark, What kind of exercises do you do. I walk alot and sometimes jog if I can and need to get out the anxiety. I also like to ride my bike. I wear out fast. Haven't been doing much of anything lately feeling worn out and tired and I'm gaining weight like crazy on this Lexapro. I am pretty sure it's the Lexapro thats making me so tired. I get nervous when I try to do even the relaxing tape because I very seldom have time to myself. I'm either at work or the kids are knocking on my door and I get nervous even if I try to listen when I go to bed because my husband is either there or comes in and then I'm wondering what he's thinking. Crazy huh? Sorry we're not supposted to use that word. LOL! I exercise in the evening or at night because I'm more of a night person. I will have to find time to myself to meditate. Every thing I've read or looked up says to take time to relax. How do you meditate? Maybe you can give me a few pointers. I'm slow with the program. I work well on it for a while and then blah out. It's funny when I am working on it I feel better and like there is a chance to get better. I realize I can only get out of the program what I put into it. I can only say I just get plain down and tired. Thanks again for your responses and I hope to hear from you again and know how you are doing.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:35 pm

Soblue,
For starters, do start slow with the exercise...stretching. What really helps is swimming since I am not pounding the body. For meditation, I memorize a favorite passage, poem or whatever and then repeat it slowly, concentrating on each word and then just listen to the silence. In warm weather, it is nice to get up before others and listen to the birds. Keep in touch.
I am finding a direct correlation between lack of exercise, negative thoughts and increased fibromyalgia pain.
We have some choices here.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:14 am

I struggle with chronic pain, also. I have been diagnosed with both osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. I also believe that I suffer from fibromyalgia. I agree that exercise and proper nutrition are essential to managing this pain. I have also found a supplement that claims to be patented for fibromyalgia (I've actually read that this element is essential for treatment of fibromyalgia on-line independent of the supplement company). When I use this supplement regularly, I've found it to make a tremendous difference in my pain levels! If you want to try it, please contact me and I'll give you the information.

New_Nana

Post by New_Nana » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 am

Meadowlark, I stretch every night before I go to bed and before I walk. I can't swim at least not much, we don't have anything here in this small town but a motel swimming pool. It's sad because swimming is one of me and my kid's favorite things to do. We go when we can. I will give the meditation at try. You make it sound so simple, Thank You. I love to listen to the birds, got to do that more often. I would love to keep in touch. Hopefully we can help each other out. It just helps to talk to others who know what you are going thru. I have often thought that my anxiety is the top factor in all my so called problems. If I can get it under control my pain should lessen, the depression would lessen the OCD would go away because it's caused by the anxiety and I'd be able to lose weight because I'd be up and out and about loving life the way I used too. Hopefully I'll talk to you again soon.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 am

how does a doctor diagnose this? are there any specific blood tests? what are the most common syptoms?

Thanks for any info!

Carrie

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:44 am

I had fibro for years and was at the point where I had to decide if I was going on disability or try something that might help. I decided I would give the glyconutients six months then I would have to file for disability if it did not work. To my suprise it worked. But even after the pain and other symptems were gone I still needed to rebuild my strenth from my lifestyle over the years. I did join a gym but today I saw a bike I was wondering if anyone has one. I saw it on Theracyledotcom . they even have one you can use if you are in a wheel chair. They are expensive but if they are as usable as they say it is a good option for rebuiling strenth in the legs and getting your joints moving again it seems. Let me know if anyone has one and what you think of it. Thanks Kathy

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:13 am

carrie1224, There are no blood tests to detect Fibromyalgia. They go by the symptoms you have and mostly by doing a tender point check. There are so many tender points in the body ( I can't remember how many ) one on each corresponding side of the body and they gently but firmly press on each of these. If you have tenderness in so many of them and a certain set of symptoms for say 6 months or longer and they have ruled out any other conditions to cause the symptoms then the diagnosis is pretty sure. You need to go to a doctor that has had training and knows the tender points and correct symptoms like a rhematologist. In times past doctors have used this condition as a catchall if they couldn't figure out what you had or just got tired of you then you had fibromyalgia. Thats why I would go to a doctor that has the experience and training in this condition. I hope that helps. If you have any more questions let me know.

Nater17

Post by Nater17 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 am

rubberbones, would you tell me a little more about the glyconutients and how they helped. Also is this the thing that you have to really change your diet and body lotions and all that stuff when you take it? Thanks!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”