I had chronic pain for years before being overcome with anxiety and depression.

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
humming-bird

Post by humming-bird » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 am

I had a surgery that left me crippled and in severe pain forever. But it was in the last 2-3 years that I have been overwhelmed with other medical problems, depression, anxiety and near agoraphobia. I had a little experience with Cognitive therapy and it was helping until I missed a session and was unable to go back. I hope this is the answer to a productive life.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Hummingbird -
What a lovely name for yourself. It tells me that despite your issues, your spirit remains somehow light and colorful, and seeks sweetness.

The surgery sounds like a terrible thing, I am so sorry that happened to you. It's not fair.

You say you had a little experience with cognitive therapy and it was helping. That's what this anxiety program is about -- it's cognitive therapy you do at your own pace, in your own way, and you can never get kicked out.

I've been doing the program since November and am about two-thirds of the way through. On a Sunday morning, I'll put in a CD and listen to it in the kitchen. I always take notes about what's recommended on each CD. That way, I can review my notes from the last session before I start a new one. It's quicker reviewing my notes than listening to the whole CD again. I also do the workbook sessions.

It's helping tremendously. It can help you too. I'm certain of it. Especially with the agorophobia. You can find a productive life. And peace of mind.

Be kind to yourself -- make the program a safe, wonderful friend -- and do the CDs one a week or so. It will help.

Sending you warm thoughts and best wishes, with complete confidence that you will get better.

Missouri Gal

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 am

I have also been experiencing chronic pain since 1996, the residues of a motor vehicle accident, and have been having anxiety with panic disorder and being still medically treated for depression as well. Beleive me it does get better but one has to hard work at it. I did everything I could for pain by trying integrative medicine as well which includes alternative therapies and attending all seminars in my area. I live without pain meds. for majority of the time. Stress also makes pain worse. I first knew of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT through David Burns, MD's books and since then it has worked in all aspects of my life. I am even using it for my dysfunctional eating problem. This is the best alternative to taking medications. I also had therapy for depression and did a lot of self-help books. It takes some hard work and determination. I now continue to go for physical therapy and also to the gym for maintaining the effects of physical therapy with regular exercise and conditioning and watchful of my diet.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”