Thyroid Sufferers

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
ChangingTimes07

Post by ChangingTimes07 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:59 pm

Hello, I am a 27 year old male with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I am opening up this thread for others with thyroid problems and anxiety. Enjoy
"I can make it through the rain, I can stand up once again, on my own, and I know that I'm strong enough to mend"- Through The Rain by Mariah Carey

matt

Post by matt » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Well Changing Times! I was put on a thyroid medication a few years ago. Because of being a little overweight, complaining of body aches, and not having much energy! I'm not sure the pills done much. I believe changing my diet and sleeping habits a little have helped me more than the medication. Thanks for the news!never knew the title of the problem. lol

IBelieve

Post by IBelieve » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:30 pm

I, too, have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed in '97 with thyroid cancer. I have been on pills, obviously, ever since. I know if my thyroid is off b/c my anxiety gets really bad. I had changed calcium brands and that affected my pills.

Anyway, thanks for starting this topic up!

ChangingTimes07

Post by ChangingTimes07 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:07 pm

Originally posted by IBelieve:
[qb]I, too, have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed in '97 with thyroid cancer. I have been on pills, obviously, ever since. I know if my thyroid is off b/c my anxiety gets really bad. I had changed calcium brands and that affected my pills.

Anyway, thanks for starting this topic up![/qb]
Yeah......calcium pills mess up your thyroid. Hashimotos Thyroiditis is actually a autoimmune disease where your body attacks your thyroid..youd need a blood test to test for antibodies.
"I can make it through the rain, I can stand up once again, on my own, and I know that I'm strong enough to mend"- Through The Rain by Mariah Carey

roses

Post by roses » Thu May 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Hey there. I hope this isn't too late, and someone see it.

How does Calcium mess up thyroid??? I take about 1200 mgs a day. What does it do?

ChangingTimes07

Post by ChangingTimes07 » Fri May 06, 2005 9:05 am

calcium I think messes up the absorption of the thyroid pills. You might wanna go to <A HREF="http://www.about.com" TARGET=_blank>About.com</A>

mcc

Post by mcc » Wed May 11, 2005 6:19 am

I have Graves Disease that is the opposite of Hashimotos (sp?) My anxiety was awful when my thyroid was bad. I had it removed in 2002. I did develop anxiety again last summer. My endocronolgist said that once you teach your body how to react with anxiety it will take that path when you get stressed. So my thyroid levels were normal and yet I had anxiety. I did the program and am feeling great!!! I still have to use everything I was taught in the program and it really works!

alphagirl

Post by alphagirl » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:10 am

I'll join this thread--I have Graves Disease also and anxiety has been my absolutely most uncomfortable symptom. I'm currently taking antithyroid meds and working on getting to a maintenance dose.

It is really tough when your anxiety is caused by something physical, because you have to get that physical thing out of the way before you can start to make progress on ridding yourself of anxiety. And every time I feel anxiety I wonder if it's just anxiety or my thyroid acting up again. :(

AG

sonic

Post by sonic » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:11 pm

Hello,
I am glad that you are opening up this thread because so many of us with thyroid disease have anxiety too.
I am a 47 year old female and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism three years ago. After about a year into therapy, I developed extreme anxiety and was not able to tolerate thyroid meds since then. I am currently taking less then 50 mcg T4 a day. I also have hashimoto. Anxiety is my worse symptom of all.

mcc

Post by mcc » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:04 am

I agree, anxiety was my worst symptom with my thyroid problem also. This program helped me so much. They told me after my thyroid surgery to find some form of meditation or relaxation to calm myself down. It took a complete set back before I bought the program. I still have my moments, but am able to control them. I also have been on lexapro and that seems to help also.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”