Thyroid Sufferers

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 am

When I was taking Synthroid several years ago I was taking 25. So, it sounds like that would equal 1/4 grain. I think I'll just take the other half tomorrow. . .then go up to the 30mg on Sunday. Then a week on that before going to 60 (or I may go up to 1 1/2 pills first. . . )

there are so many different opinions on thyroid meds out there. My OB doesn't think I should take anything at all. . .
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 am

well,

autoimmune thyroid disease is a gradual thing.

your blood work looks good for TSH and T4, but the antibodies are a concern.

it is entirely common to have "flare-ups" of it, as the antibodies gradually wear down your thyroid gland until it is destroyed.

now, drug treatment is designed to fool your immune system into thinking that the gland is not on the grid anymore, and to get out of the 'alarm- foreign invader!- status.

if i understand it correctly, early treatment can lessen the consequences from the immune system.

I'm curious as to why your OB thinks that you should not do anything with the antibody levels where they are and with your previous experience.

but, as i explained earlier, some dr's don't feel comfortable prescribing anything that is not in need of immediate treatment.

that is not an insult; conservative treatment is to be respected.

but to have the antibodies, and the prior history...

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Fri May 08, 2009 10:12 am

My OB is very "main stream" so. . . he's good for helping me have babies and screaning me for breast cancer. For other stuff I go elsewhere. I emailed him because I was curious what he thought.

He's also the one that, when I felt not quite balanced hormonally, gave me a prescription for birth control pills. That was not a good idea at all!
~~ Ronald Reagan

purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 am

Hi,

A few weeks ago I had a repeat of the 24-hr iodine excretion test. My rate this time was 58%; only 2% higher than that of 8 mos. earlier. I've been on 50mg/day of an iodine complex for 6 mos. To me that looks like my thyroid is off kilter, and insatiable for iodine.

My temp has been running low; I began to track it several weeks ago when I kept feeling shivery one day, and wanted to be sure I wasn't running a fever (see what all the swine flu talk does to a body? ;)). Since I got a low reading, I've kept tracking it just to see what it's doing. They say low temp is another sign of hypothyroidism.

I found something online a few days ago that says there's a link (or at least a possible one) between low thyroid function and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. That's certainly food for thought!

Anybody got any ideas?

purpmartin

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Thu May 14, 2009 4:05 am

I have read that thyroid can make us sensitive to chemicals. . .that is true.

I'm going for a 2nd opinion on my thyroid.

I was given Armour to take but I've had palpitations and diarrhea. So I stopped it.

It will be 2 months to get in to see a real endo, but I think it's worth it.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Mon May 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Faith,

With a TSH of 1.8, I'm really surprised you are given a thyroid stimulant...? I am hyperthyroid and was finally treated when I tested at 0.49 (0.5-5.0 was the normal range at that time). I had horrible symptoms and spent 80% of my time in bed, with resting pulse fluctuating between 55 and 170, according to the Holter monitor. Anyway, I have been stable at 2.5 for 6-7 years and felt comfortable.

Just saw the endo last Thursday, and the bloodwork she took showed that my TSH is suddenly at 4.3, so now she's reducing my medication. No wonder I felt so calm (although a little forgetful) lately! :D

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 am

Originally posted by Arwen:
Faith,

With a TSH of 1.8, I'm really surprised you are given a thyroid stimulant...? I am hyperthyroid and was finally treated when I tested at 0.49 (0.5-5.0 was the normal range at that time). I had horrible symptoms and spent 80% of my time in bed, with resting pulse fluctuating between 55 and 170, according to the Holter monitor. Anyway, I have been stable at 2.5 for 6-7 years and felt comfortable.

Just saw the endo last Thursday, and the bloodwork she took showed that my TSH is suddenly at 4.3, so now she's reducing my medication. No wonder I felt so calm (although a little forgetful) lately! :D
Well. . . I got another opinion from an endo. He said I don't need anything yet. I do have Hashimotos though because my antibodies are high. So, he wants to see me every few months and just watch it. There are nodules growing but they're small.

I think the other doctor I saw was sort of a quack, to be honest with you.
~~ Ronald Reagan

Lv2sign

Post by Lv2sign » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am

Hello, I'm new to the group. I have benn on thyroid medication for years. Three years ago I was put on armour thyroid which supply both the T3 and the T4. It seems to help.

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:20 am

Good afternoon all,

I write this after a long time away from this board, as I have been in much better control of myself and my emotions.

I am almost out of this.

But I have one symptom that continues to plague me, and for this I wonder if others who may have similar circumstances to me have felt the same.

You see, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 4 years ago now, am a 34 year old male with no family history of autoimmune conditions. Anyways, I have been medicated for this condition and now am on 1 grain of Armour Thyroid and feeling better.

That is, except for the "tired" or "cloudy" head that seems to follow me around, and is with me everytime that I wake. Now, my blood levels indicate that my thyroid hormones in my blood are all within range, and recently had to lower my dosage somewhat as my TSH (measure of feedback from brain/ pituitary gland to thyroid) was below the minimum (possible suggesting hyper thyroid).

I felt no symptoms of this, and the "tired" head did not improve any. I also switched from T4 only drugs (levothyroxine and synthroid) to the natural Armour thyroid and noticed no difference.

Question: Since changing both the dosage of thyroid hormone AND the type of drug used, and yet to still experience brain "tiredness", could this be a sign that I may have "hurt" my brain and it is slowly recovering?

Does anyone else suffer with this?

I used to be so bright and quick-witted, but the "tired/cloudy" head irritates me.

I can seem to distract myself (through work or a fun activity that I am actively engaged in, and exercise does seem to alleviate it), but it always comes back.

Hearing Lucinda talk about the brains protective mechanism of cloudyheadedness as a defense against ourselves, I wonder if that defense is still "on" as my brain heals???

Anybody got ideas?

Motivated Meme

Post by Motivated Meme » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:32 am

Are you seeing an endlcyrnologist for your thyroid problem? I started taking med around JUne 18th and am trying to get it regulated. It may be what you are taking. I felt a little weird when I started taking the levothyroxine but I had a hard time to pin down exactly how I felt. I'm now on half the dose but go every 6 weeks for blood test. Who know what it will be then. Do you loke a little hair> Mine seems to be falling out more than usual.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”