GERD

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:21 am

A few years ago I was diagnosed with GERD. But after I quit a very stressful job 1 1/2 years ago the horrible chest pain and GERD symptoms went away. Now, it has hit again. But this time I'm not stressed. In fact I couldn't be happier with my life.

Now I'm taking Zantac 2 times a day, which does help a bit, but I don't like taking meds. I hope I don't have to take it for long, but I don't really know how it works. My anxiety is through the roof now, because of the GERD.

Does anyone know if GERD symptoms come and go? I just want it to go away like it did before.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Ms. Hopeful

Post by Ms. Hopeful » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:06 am

Yes, GERD symptoms can come and go - at least they have with me. If I don't eat well or eat too much or too late, it can flare up bad. Other times I am fine and sometimes it seems to flare up for no reason at all!! Hang in there!!! ;)

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks Ms.Hopeful,

I am still very miserable. The Zantac isn't working and my Dr. isn't seeing me until Monday. I just hope to make it through the weekend. I hope it begins to get better soon.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

galaxie

Post by galaxie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Rose; If you go on a search engine and look up alkaline producing foods and acid producing foods. I have acid reflux also, eating acid producing foods escalates the acid.

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes, I have heard of the alkaline diet. I have not tried it yet. Right now my Dr. has me on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast). But I can't even eat that without severe pain. Any small amount of food and even water sets me off. I can barely eat and I've lost 7 lbs. in a week and I'm already pretty small. I feel so frustrated and I'm so hungry!
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Ms. Hopeful

Post by Ms. Hopeful » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 am

Hi Rose, one thing that I've been doing that actually has helped is mixing 2 tbs. of apple cider vinegar in about 6 oz. of water and sipping with my meal. I usually just do it with dinner - it tastes like I'm having a salad. :D It works for some and not for others and sometimes it helps me and sometimes not. Small meals helps me alot too. I hope you get to feeling better soon and find what works for you.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Rose and Tammy:
My sister used the vinegar with good results.
I was amazed to learn about that.

Rose , I'm hoping you feel better real soon.
I've been thinking about you.
I'll be in touch.
MJ

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Cornflower.

I am doing bit better today. I cut out all dairy and wheat for the last 36 hours and did the Alkaline foods only today. Don't know if that is what made a difference, but was at least finally able to eat today. I'm going to also try drinking Aloe Vera juice which I read can help too.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Forever Young13

Post by Forever Young13 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:36 am

I too suffer with GERD. Scary thing. First time it happen to me I went to the ER cause my daughter thought it might be a heart attack because of the pain running up in my chest. Sure was frightening. I do my best to stay with alkaline things. And like you, some days it just decides to act up. Another thing I have done is use a supplement called Healthy Trinity by Natren. It has 3 different types of the good bacteria needed in the intestines. I take it for about 15 days and then things seem to clear up for a while ... until something I ate or I get a cold/flu and it upsets my system again. So try going online and finding it. Oh yes and keep it refrigerated. Thats important cause there are live cultures in there.
Gold Luck and God Bless

Flyer99

Post by Flyer99 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Rose,

I am so happy you posted about GERD. I have had GERD for many years and has been under control with medication over that period of time.

However, last fall I was under a lot of stress for many different things and my GERD really flared up. My doctor had me double up on my meds and it went away. However, silly me felt so good that I cut it back to the original dose. It came back even worse. When I questioned my pharmacist about this he said that you just can't cut down on the dosage immediately, it has to be done over time. I actually had a rebound effect. So, I'm back to the double dose and I am beginning to feel better.

My GERD seems to flare up with stress and anxiety, so my doctor recommended relaxation tapes and also exercise. I did see a psychologist friend of mine about this and he reviewed relaxation techniques with me and said that stress certainly can cause excess stomach acid buildup.

You mentioned you were on Zantac. I don't know if this works the same way as the med I am on, but just in case, perhaps if you decide to go off of it, do it gradually.

And, as others have posted I have heard all kinds of good things about apple cider vinegar and I am going to try that. By the way, last fall, when I had a big flareup my doctor put me on the BRAT diet, but I was only on it for a few days and then he said to gradually begin to eat regularly.

Just a couple of things: he said to try and eat at regular times, try and eat more but smaller meals, get regular sleep times, sleep in a slightly elevated position, and above all make use of relaxation every day.

I wish you much good luck. I've been battling this along with anxiety for years and they do not go well together for sure!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”