GERD

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Flyer99

Post by Flyer99 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Rose,

I am so happy you posted about GERD. I have had GERD for many years and has been under control with medication over that period of time.

However, last fall I was under a lot of stress for many different things and my GERD really flared up. My doctor had me double up on my meds and it went away. However, silly me felt so good that I cut it back to the original dose. It came back even worse. When I questioned my pharmacist about this he said that you just can't cut down on the dosage immediately, it has to be done over time. I actually had a rebound effect. So, I'm back to the double dose and I am beginning to feel better.

My GERD seems to flare up with stress and anxiety, so my doctor recommended relaxation tapes and also exercise. I did see a psychologist friend of mine about this and he reviewed relaxation techniques with me and said that stress certainly can cause excess stomach acid buildup.

You mentioned you were on Zantac. I don't know if this works the same way as the med I am on, but just in case, perhaps if you decide to go off of it, do it gradually.

And, as others have posted I have heard all kinds of good things about apple cider vinegar and I am going to try that. By the way, last fall, when I had a big flareup my doctor put me on the BRAT diet, but I was only on it for a few days and then he said to gradually begin to eat regularly.

Just a couple of things: he said to try and eat at regular times, try and eat more but smaller meals, get regular sleep times, sleep in a slightly elevated position, and above all make use of relaxation every day.

I wish you much good luck. I've been battling this along with anxiety for years and they do not go well together for sure!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I have GERD and have had it for several years. I was first taking over the counter medicines for it, but for quite a while I have been taking a prescription medicine for it. I had no idea that GERD has anything to do with stress, etc. And I had no idea that GERD could come and go. I take my medication each day and I stay away from high fat foods and especially tomato sauce, and I cannot drink alcohol at all.
I don't go on and off of my GERD medicine, I just stay on it all of the time. I sure don't want to go back to the times when I would have terrible acid reflux attacks.......I felt like I was dying ! It was SO uncomfortable.

I have been on Prevacid, Aciphex,Nexium and I am currently on "protonics".

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone feels better.

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:35 pm

The BRAT diet works for Ulcerative Colitis too, which I also have.

I sure don't want to eat bananas and rice all of my life. I end up turning down all sorts of good tasting food all of time just because I don't want to suffer the consequences of eating the wrong things.

L.L.

samcat

Re: GERD

Post by samcat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Have any of you tried Jeff Martin's Heartburn No More e-book? Does it work or is it a bunch of baloney?

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Don't know if anyone is still following this post but didn't see a reason to make a new one for the same subject. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone ever experienced a weakness feeling left or right side or possible their whole body during a flare up? I seem to have this almost every time and mostly on my left side, which is scary and difficult not to assume heart related. I have been to the doctor/ER several times during these episodes and no heart issues. I assume its anxiety and Gerd in conjunction that make me feel like I'm dying of a heart attack. Its a terrible feeling. I'm desperate for some confirmation that what I'm feeling can and does happen to others. Just don't want to feel alone in this.

n8915p

Post by n8915p » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:56 am

Hi Rose and Everyone Else,
I am new here to the forums. I have GERD as well and did have an ulcer in the past. I am wondering what your pain is like. Is it right in the end of the breastbone or lower or whatever? Also, could anyone describe it for me? Knifelike, spasms, radiates, etc. I am having issues and I believe this is what it is. i know that we can't diagnose, but just curious what others GERD flareups are like. Much stress over last year like some of you and reading the posts here helped me calm down a little. I know this isn't much, but misery loves company and your posts have helped me calm down a little.
Judy

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Dear Everyone:

Thank you so much for sharing your GERD experiences. I have experienced every single
one of them myself. In addition to GERD, I am also suffering from Ulcerative Colitis.
It seems that every part of my digestive system has a problem. :shock:
Between the GERD and the Ulcerative Colitis I have to watch almost every single thing
I eat. It gets quite disappointing when other folks can eat whatever they want and I
cannot. When I go out to eat with other people how can I explain that I cannot possibly
eat what the restaurant has on its menu. :cry: Sure, maybe I could order some cottage
cheese and dry toast ( boring ). When everyone else is eating great food and I am
pouring over the menu to find just a few things that I can possibly eat is just tiring.
I really don't want to bring up Ulcerative Colitis during a meal, that is pretty gross.
So maybe I could just say " I am not very hungry right now" and order some water. :o

As far as my GERD, I take a prescription medication called Protonics. It really works
for me and I never quit taking it. Over the counter stuff rarely works for MY acid reflux.
I sleep reclined in a recliner chair. I take the Protonics every day as prescribed. I have
to watch what I eat all of the time. Occassionally I eat some foods that I know I
should not eat, and then I pay the price. I also take Extra Strength Gaviscon occasionally,
and I find that the combination of Protonics and the Gaviscon works for me.

I was actually in the Emergency Room last month because of acid reflux ! I know
it was acid reflux and not an anxiety attack. I felt the burning feeling in my esophagus
and my stomach area. I DID NOT have any actual acid coming up into my mouth ( thank
goodness. ) All that the ER people did was give me some IV medication and send me home.
I did not feel any better after their medicine than I did when I first arrived there. It
was a waste of time for me to go to the ER.

I had one REAL acid reflux attack during the past four months, and that was a rare
occasion. I also had some stomach pains and vomiting when I was in the hospital in
October. I was given an extra Protonics each day until I could follow up with my
regular Gastroenterologist. When I visited my Gastro Doctor he said I did not have
to take two Protonics a day any longer.

As far as the BRAT DIET, I know all about that too, since I have the Ulcerative Colitis.
THIS DOES WORK. If I am having a colon "flare up" then I will go to the BRAT diet.
It is boring to eat the Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast, but I still do it.
I don't know if anyone else out there has the Ulcerative Colitis, but it is a terrible
thing to have. I first got it in 1997 and I was not properly diagnosed until 2006 ! :!:
Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome ( Ulcerative Colitis ) is not the same as
Irritable Bowel Disease.

For anyone who is having a problem with getting diagnosed with the Ulcerative
Colitis or the GERD, I suggest that you don't give up ! Change doctors until you
find the right one. Be an advocate for yourself and your health. Sometimes it is
frustrating, but everyone wants to feel better and to be healthy.

PS: I had gallstones 20 years ago and they were causing me pain and vomiting.
I went to a doctor. I had some tests. He did not find anything wrong and I went
home and suffered some more for a few months. I got new health insurance and
a new Primary Care Physician and that is when I received the proper diagnosis
because my new doctor did the proper tests. She ordered an ultrasound and right
away this test showed that I had gallstones. I had suffered for months and I shouldn't
have had to. I had the gallbladder removed 20 years ago and I felt fine afterwards.
Like I said, find the right doctor and you will get some results. ;)

LyndaLu :)

libertad

Post by libertad » Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 pm

I am 39, and I am suffering GERD 2 years ago. This is a terrible , terrible health issue. My life change completely for this reason,. I am depress.. Did someone get rid of it??? I don't want to "control" it only with medication I want to cure!!!!!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”