Diabetic Issues and Working the Program

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
LadyJ

Post by LadyJ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi
I am a type 2 diabetic fighting with my blood sugar daily since it is nuts.lol.

Every time I do a "Challenge" my blood sugar goes high.

So what am I to do?

I need to "Challenge" my self for the Anxiety/Panic to get better.

But when I do, my blood sugar is bad.

Which in turn makes all my fear/guilt and etc go way high and it takes days or longer to get my BS to behave and to get connected with the program again.

Sigh... the old "can't win for losing" thing!

Any other diabetics out there trying to work the program and having issues??

Also, anyone know of a group/site that focuses on diabetes and working this or any anxiety program??

I am finding myself just getting lost when I try to find help/support for my issues and in general on this site.

I get lost easily and there seems to be too many different pages to read.

I have and am looking all over Sparkpeople, but once again there are too many pages to check out and I get lost...lol.

KK... To recap

* Diabetic:

* Bad blood sugars in reaction to challenging myself for the program:

* Dealing with other issues like diet,skin stuff, and etc, in connection to the diabetes and the anxiety:

* Looking for/feel like desperately need, a group or site that focuses on these things.

Any help appreciated

God Bless
~~LJ~~
"I am today what I thought of myself yesterday.. And I will be tomorrow what I think of myself today!" - Pastor Joel Osteen "Your Best Life Now"

"Stinking Thinking" - Joyce Meyer

NewLife50

Post by NewLife50 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

First off stop beating yourself up! Stress will increase glucose levels, I know I am a Type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump. Practice the relaxation techniques, it helps, sometimes I listen to it 6 times a day. Keep a log of what you are eating, you will be surprised that the food and not the program is the c ause. Relax.

Kathie C.

Post by Kathie C. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm

I am a fairly newly diagnosed diabetic (Type 2) and CANNOT stay away from all the sugary things my husband keeps buying. Yes, it's a catch-22, and I don't know what to do. Too much sugar makes the anxiety rear its ugly head, but avoiding it makes me so depressed I don't want to live. I just do the best I can and pray I don't have diabetic complications before my time. God knows how hard this is, and I'm leaving Him in charge, while doing what I can to stay sane.

ariel2477

Re: Diabetic Issues and Working the Program

Post by ariel2477 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 am

diabetic here and on the insulin pump.
the emotions can raise or lower blood sugars.
if you can narrow it down to a specific time of day or incident
you might could adjust your blood sugars accordingly with insulin
i was told for example exercising:
I should do it at the exact time of day and for a certain amount of time
that way i could predict blood sugars and address them

hot/cold weather affects mine as so does stress, etc.
when you can control all that anxiety, fear I think your levels will be better.
so do not worry maybe a positive affirmation might help when and during the time you are working the program

Traybay

Post by Traybay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi,
I am new to the program-in session two- and I am also a type one diabetic on insulin pump. I have had this disease for 35 years among several other health problems. One of the causes of my anxiety and depression is the never- ending relentlessness of tending to monitoring, dieting, dealing with insulin highs and lows, mood highs and lows, and the never-ending A1-cs which never meet the ideal. 24-7… for 35 years so far… and with me until the day I die. Really and truly, can't I just have ONE vacation away from this disease?! Maybe go on a cruise or maybe go on a week long tour of Europe's vineyards and freely sample the wine and cheese! :lol: :)
I am so thankful to be learning with this course how to live in the precious moment. :) Already the techniques are helping me to relax enough that anxiety isn't sending my blood glucose into the 400s like it did before. I'm beginning to see that there is hope and I look forward more restoration and success. I'm also glad to have this support line where we can encourage each other and maybe laugh a little too. :D

seyba

Re:

Post by seyba » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Kathie C. wrote:I am a fairly newly diagnosed diabetic (Type 2) and CANNOT stay away from all the sugary things my husband keeps buying. Yes, it's a catch-22, and I don't know what to do. Too much sugar makes the anxiety rear its ugly head, but avoiding it makes me so depressed I don't want to live. I just do the best I can and pray I don't have diabetic complications before my time. God knows how hard this is, and I'm leaving Him in charge, while doing what I can to stay sane.
Hello Kathie. I just was reading through a few comments on this subject. I wanted to say something encouraging like hang in and keep searching for ways to find fulfilling answers. Several in my family (and friends) have had diabetes and we manage to have good and uplifting happy times. Take care.

Jeremy83

Post by Jeremy83 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 am

I am 30 years old and have been a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic since age 6. It has always been a struggle and i didn't really take care of myself very well untill i was diagnosed with clinical depression, generalized anxiety and a severe social anxiety disorder about 3 years ago. Ever since then i have taken extremely good care of myself. Not long before i started the attacking anxiety program i joined a gym which i attend 3-4 times a week and i also do fit boxing 1 night a week. Exercise is one of the greatest things for diabetics, it helps to keep glucose levels stable and is also good for depression. I have also seen a naturopath who put me on a very strict but healthy diet and inspired me to learn how to cook my own tasty natural healthy meals. I am feeling great and now onto session 5 of this program and my life continues to get better each week even though i'm not fully recovered yet this is probably the best i've ever felt in my life. Staying focused on health and fitness is a good approach to recovery and constant glucose monitoring is essential. Now i just except the fact i'm a diabetic and do my best to live with it, it's not the end of the world you are still here and can have a great life. I Hope this helps you!!!

Scylla

Post by Scylla » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 10. I'm 32. I had no idea anxiety can drive up your blood sugars. I want to manage my diabetes better. Today I'm working on a basal rate test. It will mean checking my blood sugar a lot. I'm using the One Touch Ultra glucometer and the Fora care glucometer. In college I had bad anxiety of all kinds. I remember having high highs in class. It was pretty bad. Then after college I gained weight. I was something like 140 or 136 lbs. I have lost to 101 lbs. Do the math on that, I'm not sure how much it is. I am working on the Combatting Stress and Depression Program program by using the CDs. I'm working on getting a new therapist because my old one left the state. We had a great working relationship. I hope the next therapist can fill her shoes. I have a bad feeling about that because it may not work out the first two or three therapists I try. I'm bipolar as well as type 1 diabetic. I take 120 mg Geodon with food, 0.5 lorazepam 4 times a day and 5 mg lexapro. Most of my medication is generic but the Geodon is really expensive as I'm on SSI it is free. I want to work. I want to recover enough to work. Also, I'm hypothyroid. My hypothyroidism might eventually be treated with less hormone because I am on 125 mg and my doctor would like to lower it. I'm apprehensive about that, my menstrual cycles are long enough. My thyroid hormone is supposedly stable. I don't quite believe it. I'm doing much better than I was but there is still a lot of work to be done. I'm going to have to find a new therapist, that's a priority. I feel overburdened by how many illnesses I have sometimes. I'm working towards lessening those burdens one by one. I also have really bad cystic acne. I mean boils. I get pimples on my face, ears, and legs. I'm on 5% benzoyl peroxide for that as well as tretinoin cream. I'm striving to maintain my blood sugar at 125 mg/dl and leave it there. My averages are 150 to 134 in my other glucometer. I spend a good chunk of SSI funds on test strips. So I have to work on the budget this month and actually have a budget for next month to see if I can save more money than I already do. I worked two days this month, I only survive at least two days, and that's because of my anxiety, but I will get paid for that at the end of the month. I'm working towards being healthy so I can make substantially more income than I have now. I'm working on manifesting the lifestyle I really want. I'm a writer of science fiction and fantasy. I want to live a certain way that I can't afford right now. I live with my parents. I will be using the forums and possibly the free consultation but I do everything the cheap way so I save money. I'm really great with managing my funds. I might get a pension from SSI instead of SSI which is more money. I live with my parents and pay all my own expenses. I'm keeping a journal on my Iphone instead of buying a journal which will cause more clutter in my cluttered bedroom. Another goal I have is to clean my bedroom completely and turn into into a home office. In which case, I'm planning on working with a personal organizer. Thanks for reading. Anxiety really does get better. Maybe someday I can reduce the dose of my lorazepam.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”