Had back surgery, Now in worse Pain that ever before!

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
HottyDotty

Post by HottyDotty » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 am

My sister had back surgery 10 yrs ago, and is now in worse pain than ever before. Her Dr. has her on 80mg Oxy-Contin 2times daily, and 100mg Fentenayl Patch that she changes every 3 days, yet she still suffers. She had a kidney stone over the weekend, and the Dr. just looked at her at the E.R. and was puzzled, b/c of her already being on such high doses of pan meds., he didn't think she should be in any pain, but she was crying out in pain. Since she is on such high doses already, what can she do when she has additional problems that cause even more extreme pain? Does anyone know what can or could be done for her, if she gets to the point that none of the pain meds work to stop pain, no matter what the strength? She is scared to death that the Dr. is going to suddenly stop her meds.! If he were to just stop the meds., suddenly, wouldn't it kill her?
Dottie Aldridge

luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi, maybe I can give you some useful info. First of all, I am a registered nurse with chronic back pain. I have degenerative disk disease, stenosis, several previous back injuries that include multiple disk herniations and bulges. It's a real bitch, trust me! I know exactly what your sis is going through, I too was on Fentanyl patches, vicoden and lots of other meds. Second, just because she is on all these pain meds for her back, doesn't mean she can't experience an increase in chronic pain or an episode of acute pain. I was on this stuff when I had an acute appendisitis attack the end of December and found myself in the local ER in excrucuating pain. The body becomes used to the pain meds for the chronic pain, but the long lasting meds won't do anything for the acute pain, thus, it took several shots of morphine or demerol or something similar to control the pain at that time. I don't remember what they gave me because I was in such a state and had to have immediate surgery. The problem isn't will the medications be able to control the pain. There are meds out there that will stop any pain, but doctors typically don't want to prescribe them unless you're suffering from a terminal disease or are in acute pain...acute meaning, a rapid onset of temporary pain, different from chronic that is long lasting. I ended up having a lumbar fusion in Jan. of this year, after the initial recovery of several weeks and the muscle spasms subsiding, I felt awesome, unfortunately this only lasted about 6 weeks, now I hurt as much as ever. Currently I am in the process of jumping through all the rings and hoops required to have a trial run with a temporary nerve stimulator implant. This device sends electrical impulses through the spinal cord in attempt to block or override the pain signals sent to the brain. According to the staff at my pain management ctr. and my neuro surgeon the success rate with these are 75-80 %. Not bad considering the alternative. There are many drawbacks to taking lots of narcotic pain meds over long periods of time and you do become somewhat "immune" to their effects. Suggest that your sis talk to a doctor about a nerve stimulator for pain relief...it beats hell out of suffering and the side effects of narcotics, not to mention the withdrawl if ever you have to stop taking them. Hope this was some help to you. ;)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:29 am

I can't imagine going through the pain those with back pain experience. However, please remember that doctors address the symptoms not the cause. I am taking classes in Natural Health. Meds have their place but you also need to address, the whole body. It is difficult to explain in a few sentences and it is not a simple solution but I suggest that you check with an herbalist or naturopathic doctor who addresses the whole body. Bone pain can be because of too much acidity which causes leaching of the the nutrients, minerals from the bones. Our foods such as soda and processed foods make the condition even worse. Also, our emotional pains cause our bodies to produce chemicals that cause physical pains. Therefore, our emotional state plays a factor in our physical health. Exercise is important too but with chronic back pain, I'm sure that is difficult to do. I don't have an immediate solution for either of you (I wish I did.) I am just giving you a different perspective for a long range solution. As you said, being on meds for long periods of time have draw backs. Most doctors are not trained in a wholelist approach so they are not receptive to alternative ideas. For what it is worth.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 am

Hi, I am new to this group. I am having L4,L5 surgery where they are going to repair stinosis of the spine, a herniated disc and posibly replace a disc, April 7, 2010. The surgery is at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington DC. I pick Dr. Sandhu because he is on the faculty and a member of Solace. I WAS CONFIDENT ABOUT THE OPERATION UNTIL I READ YOUR ENTRIES. Now I am scared to death.I thought that the surgery would get rid of the pain. I am 63 years old and probably will take longer to heal. I also have a number of other Chronic problems. five bulging discs,arthritis of the spine, Diabetes 2, hypothyroid, A-Fib, Fibromyalgia, TMJ, Myofacia disorder,Inflamed muscles, painful celulite and corneal errosion in both eyes. It is no wonder that I am anxious, now this. What I need is information on any herbals and vitamins I should and shouldn't take prior to the operation that will help me to recover quicker, with less pain. Because I am on blood thinners I can only take extra strength Tylonalfor the pain.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Doozan,

We are practically neighbors. I had surgery of my L5, and while my pain never really got better. I can't take any of the nsaids, because of contra-indication with my blood pressure medication. They give me racing heart and chest pains. BTW, my l4, and l3 were also herniated, just not as bad. I also have arthritis throughout my spine.

Each person's tolerance for pain is different, and I am enduring by praising God and praying whenever the pain gets too far out of control. They also tried post operative epidural shots, and they didn't do a thing for me. The options are limited for me, but I thank joyrn for bringing out this thing about nerve stimulator.

The operation, it was the one they shaved the disc, though not successful at eliminating my pain, (now it is pretty much bone on bone) was necessary because it did stop any further nerve damage to my spinal cord that did not allow my legs to work right. I can get around, but pain wise, I can't tolerate trips greater than 45 minutes. So don't be expecting me over for dinner anytime soon. :)

My surgery (done by Virginia Spine Institute) was postponed until my blood pressure was brought under control, and the damage got worse by the time I could be cleared for the operation.

Before I got the operation, I went in for the epidural. However, they refused to treat me because my b/p was 217/147 which set me back, and the pain could have been a factor for the higher b/p.

I can't say if the operation would have gone alright, because things may have gotten complicated post surgery, because I took a fall when my legs seemed to stop working and I fell like a great oak; flat on my face.

If you need an operation, I would not go for the fusion, but exhaust pain management treatment and don't rule out chiropractic and or acupuncture treatment. I think the acupuncture was most effective for me.

I am totally disabled and this is a horrible situation, but there is not much I can do about it. It is what it is. I praise God that I am still able to walk. I count all of my blessings, and I have a much keener appreciation for many things that I either ignored or took for granted.

Depression, panic, anxiety, or pity parties are not of any concern to me. What for? Will whining and self pity make me feel better? No! Will having a panic attack because I can't run a 100 meters in 11 seconds, or run a mile just under 4 minutes, do me any good? No! So get on with what life you are able to enjoy, and accentuate the positive.

I have forsaken moaning or complaining about any thing to do with pain least I be told to die more quietly. That right folks, I live in a NO WHINING ZONE, and will just have to find a way, with God's help, to make the most of every moment of the life I do have! I have chosen to let the Lord turn my mourning into dancing, and yeah I can still stumble along even if just for a few moments.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:44 am

Hi HottyDotty

I'm sorry to hear about all the pain your sister is in.

I would recommend you speak with her doctor about her pain and a pharmacist about her medications. This is something that none of us lay-people have the capacity to answer.

I agree about seeing a holistic doctor and using alternative methods to Western medicine, but that's certainly your sister's call.

I will send a prayer up your and your sister's way. I wish only the best for you.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi joyrn,

Thanks again for that pointer. I did some digging around and found this article about Spinal Cord Stimulator therapy:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/t...ol-chronic-back-pain

BTW, if you go to their home page there is a search field for finding doctors in your area that may offer similar services.

I pray you get a good night's rest, and feel much better tomorrow. In Jesus name; Amen!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”