Fibromyalgia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Etta Blair

Post by Etta Blair » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 am

I am a new member, also have Fibromyalgia. Can anyone give me some info on what kind of exercise will help and not make my body hurt more. I would appreciate any info you could o
offer. Thanks Etta

PS I am already taking Cymbalta and Lyrica

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

I find that exercise in warm water is very helpful. Also, qi kong or tai chi are helpful

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm

i have been living with fibromyalgia for as long as i can remember. i'm really working to heal it and can tell you more about that some other time. one of the most important basic activities, always encouraged by my wonderful doctor, is walking. just make sure you invest in good shoes, maybe you'll need orthodics. keep moving on a daily basis because it always gets worse when you stop. remember things always seems to get worse before they get better, so it might hurt in the beginning, but just like this program, do more and more each day. hope that's helpful. i also agree that tai chi and qi kong and water are tops. it's just that walking is a really easy place to start. it all depends on your level of ability. good luck. elijah.

BEP

Re: Fibromyalgia

Post by BEP » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

I've had Fibromyalgia since before it had a name and was nonfunctional for ten years. I went from being helpless and hopeless to working part time in just a few months after reading a couple of books by Dr. John E. Sarno, and following his advice. The first was "Mind Over Back Pain" and the other was "Healing Back Pain - the Mind/Body Connection." When I first heard of these books, I was not interested because of the names. I had tried pretending that I didn't have pain and that didn't work! I eventually read them, with skepticism, and didn't tell anyone (not even my husband) that I was doing what the book said. Anyway, that was in 1998 and the Fibro has been so much better since then. Still not completely gone (I don't know if anyone ever gets over it) but sooooo much better. It worked for me, and you also might find it helpful. Best of luck.

hopeForUs

Post by hopeForUs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm almost 21 and I was diagnosed at 18 with fibromyalgia. I absolutely HATE exercise. I avoid it all the time because I'm always so tired and exhausted. Because of this, I have decided to work through this program to a point where I have my negative thinking under control so I don't set myself up for failure before I even try a workout program.

I just started session 3 this week so I've only begun to open my mind to positive thinking. I know this isn't really helpful in regards to exercise but it's nice to find people who understand the depression and anxiety (I am on effexor because lyrica made me suicidal) but also fibromyalgia. I think we might be able to help each other. What session are you guys on?

Ammy

Post by Ammy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:07 am

You have to practice regular exercise then mind become positive thinking and have less anxiety.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”