Just curious... Back Pain, anyone?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
curlygirl

Post by curlygirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi everyone, I have now been having back pain for a year. I first hurt my feet and then my back and neck have pain. I have noticed that when I am stressed or anxious, my back hurts tremendously. In a flash. I know they are connected. I take a fibermyalgia medication called Lyrica and an anti-depressant Remeron. When I feel really stressed xanax .5 mg. does help. good luck.

Stagerlee

Post by Stagerlee » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:13 am

Leonardo, I had the disc-o-gram several years ago preseeding back sugery. I since have had 2 more. The state of my injury is at 5 levels now and to many hrniations to count. I also have a spinal dorsal stimulator implanted. None of these have worked and now am past having any fusions because of the number of levels and severity of the herniations. I also have the degenerative disc disease due to the back surgeries. Of all the procedures done the disc-o-gram was by far the worse. I still wonder if it was really necessary due to advancment in mri's and others. Good luck with the back thing as a long sufferer I KNOW LUCK WONT HELP BUT A GOOD ATTITUDED WILL, Bruce

byebyeblues

Post by byebyeblues » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi, Discograms -- i have heard of them. I think they inject the herniated disc with saline to reduce or shrink it but not sure. Years ago there used to be a procedure where the doctor injected an enzyeme into the disc for pain relief. I can't remember the name name of the study but it ended in papain It was an extract of a fruit --papya. I heard there were good resuls but some legal case removed it'ds use in the US. I heard they do these studies in Canada.

My dad has severe back pain and is going through a series of epidural steroidal spinal injections -- some type of steriod injected into his spinal canal. He does get pain relief. And it will take a few injections before we know if the results will last.

Also check to see if you city has a pain clinic. THey may offer acupuncture which has been proven by functional brain imaging to reduce pain. Pain receptors in the brain show less activity after acupuncture. THis also may require a few sessions.

Has you doctor given you any back exercises/streching? And altough I do not do it as much as i should yoga is helpful and calming. good luck

gnugget1

Post by gnugget1 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:30 am

It would be really great to hear from someone that's overcome their pain. :)
I was thrown from a horse about 4 years ago and landed on my head. This sprained my neck and upper back, but nothing was said about my lower back. Approx. 6 months ago, I felt pain shoot up by back while riding, then nothing for about a month. It has continually gotten worse and more frequent since. I'm waiting for an mri and arthrogram of my hip now. Just had exploratory surgery about 6 weeks ago looking for endometriosis, but I was clean, thank God! I am extremely frustrated. I completed the program approx. 3 years ago and it did wonders for me. I can go anywhere now and just get nervous when I'm supposed to!
Now that this pain thing has started, I can feel my anxiety getting worse and building. I try to control myself, but those nights of agony are really, really hard to get through by myself. It's hard holding down a normal job when you are constantly worried about whether you are going to be able to make it through. I can hear the "what-if's" starting up again, even though I try to control them.
To make matters even worse, our family found out some devastating news a few weeks ago and we are having a hard time dealing with that. Unfortunately, that issue will be a long, drawn out stressor, so I was thinking of skimming through the program again to see if that helps me get back on track.
Thank you for letting me vent! I think that really helps sometimes!

gnugget1

Post by gnugget1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:24 am

Just an update...
MRI showed some arthritis, of course, and a very slight bone spur near one of my discs. Ortho said he has the same exact condition, and surgery is not an option. Just expect it to return from time to time and suffer through it. I was greatful that there were no herniations or anything extensive wrong, but you've gotta be kidding me....just get through it? There's gotta be something that can be done, right? I've had over 2 months of chiro care, had approx. 5 weeks of no pain, then "wammo!" Back to square one again. Can't sleep at night, try to work, but can't concentrate as I'm suffering at my desk, trying to look "normal". I try the relaxation tape, and it helps a little. Any suggestions???

kaz1967

Post by kaz1967 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Back pain can be very painful and irritating. I have had lower back pains in my T3/T4 area for several years. Have you ever tried Soma which is a muscle relaxer or Tramadol which is a pain reliever? You can actually order them online at <A HREF="http://www.24hrpharmacies.net" TARGET=_blank>www.24hrpharmacies.net</A> and they ship the meds to your door. They use U.S. licensed doctors and pharmacies. I like this site because they are reliable and easy to work with.

I also see a chiropractor when the pain gets really bad.

Hope this helps your back!

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi gnugget1,

Without getting into too much of my own back problems, I do have a few suggestions.

If you have medical insurance, check to see if insurer has an on line directory of Practitioners and see they have an Acupuncturist(s) listed that is/are near you.

I did this recently, because I cannot take NSAIDS for pain relief, and yesterday was my first treatment (lasted 20 minutes) and I found that later in the day, I noticed that I did not have as mush discomfort and a definite reduction in the pain level as I have been having in past. I have been through much of what I have read here, and all too familiar with the setbacks after making what seemed to be really good progress. I know how discouraging this can be, but we have to do our best to try to move forward as tough as it may seem.

Another thing that seems to help a lot is the breathing and relaxation techniques that I learned in this program. Others are: distraction techniques such as exercise with fun stuff like the WII, the comedy channel, and stuff like that all help a little at a time. Even if these things do not provide full relief, every little bit helps me to enjoy a little bit more of the moment and the life I have now, and I am grateful for this moment.

I hope that all the sharing going on here by so many, provides you some hope for at least some relief.

BTW, Kaz- thanks for the link.

Hugs,

Gman5256
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

gnugget1

Post by gnugget1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried Tramadol and was extremely sick from it. Soma's no good either. I did have my first acupuncture appt. yesterday and things seem to be going well today so far...that and a different type of chiro care - gentle manipulation instead of the forced cracking and popping. That's working much better. Seems that my ligaments are really stretched from the years of regular chiro care. Now I'm on a Ligament supplement and all these new things combined may be working. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
It's always a little bit easier just knowing there are others who can sympathize!

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:27 am

Hi gnugget1,

I am hopeful that you are getting some relief from the acupuncture treatment(s) you may be receiving.

Here is another methodology of Chiropractic care: <A HREF="http://activerelease.com/providersearch.asp" TARGET=_blank>Active Release</A>

BTW, I am just back from my 3rd session with the acupuncturist, and I have a sense that there is a lot improvement going. I.E. I can sit at the computer for more than 10 minutes at a time and that is up to over 20 minutes. I seems to be working out very well for me. I hope all things are working out good and that you get the relief you need.

Hugs, In His Love,

Gman5256
Last edited by Gman5256 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Bonnie Jamieson

Post by Bonnie Jamieson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 am

i had a fusion 1.5 years ago-i m possibly going to have another-it's depressing-this program has helped me alot in the month i have been using it but it is still depressing

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”