Just curious... Back Pain, anyone?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
artgirl

Post by artgirl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:38 pm

I have had problems with back pain also. I am a part-time art teacher and on days I work I am bending over a lot to help kids and carrying supplies around since I don't have a "Room". Some days were excrutiating and I was crying all the way home and spent the whole evening trying to ease the pain. Usually I'm good until noon and then it starts in. I went to the Dr. and a chiropractor. The Chiropractor made things much worse. I went to a different Dr. who mentioned the link between depression and back pain and put me on Effexor. I couldn't believe it- in about 3 days my pain was gone. He had me on 75 mg. After a time I developed a tremor in my left hand which can be a side effect and I found it really annoying. I decided to go off Effexor and after a few weeks of being off, the back pain and depression returned with a vengence. I tried switching to 37.5 mg and that seems to keep everything in check and minimizes the tremor. I am also working on weight training to strengthen my back. Hope this info helps someone else.

cameradave

Post by cameradave » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:31 pm

I blew out L-4, L-5, S-1, I also suffer from fibromyalga and was born with spina bifida, I am in pain all the time which has affected my ability to work, I recently started getting some relief from a product called Flexcin. My wife died in June 2002 which has also caused a lot of depression fo me, the holidays are not much fun for me.

Bakedpears

Post by Bakedpears » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:33 am

Has anyone read the book Mind Over Back Pain by John Sarno? It helped me.

Tammy

delmar

Post by delmar » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:11 am

Hi all i have been dealing with back pain sence 1998 i've had three roundsof surgeries and i mow where more money inside of me than i have in my bank account :) Each time i went under the knike i got more depressed and i didn't see it. i live in pain everyday. My depression and all that goes with it lost me my marriage and a hole lot more. I would be very interested in any info you could post from the book or any other sujestions. I have just started a very light yoga/ tai chi class that uses a ball that you sit on for most of the class and it has offered some releas and is slowly letting my tendons leangthon as i go more to this class. It still kicks my backside though if you know what i mean. Keep you chins up we are all in this together. Youall have a great day.

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 am

del,

try to find the book at the library...I think the main idea is that our body is the catchall of our brain...just like the program teaches.

If you can't get the book at the library, it is available through Amazon.com and not expensive.

best to you, c.

Bakedpears

Post by Bakedpears » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 am

delmar
it is a good book. worth the $ and time invested. you will recognize yourself in the pages:) It has helped my back pain, if not just for the fact that I am no longer afraid of the pain. Sarno does a good job of convincing the reader of the statistics and medical proof and research that shows back pain is often not from a physical cause (i.e. herniated disc, disease, deterioration)

Good luck with your search.
Tammy

Barb H.

Post by Barb H. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Delmar,
You sound just like me. I have spinal stenoses & had back surgery 7 years ago. They fused my back between L4 L5. I am in pain every day of my life. I am so depressed. A lot of it is from my back. And the Vicadin I take for the cronic pain does not help. Whatever you can do to help yourself if it is working do it. I hope you get some relief. I haven't found any. Maybe this will help.

Yellow Rose

Post by Yellow Rose » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:38 am

I can totally relate to this. I combat the pain by going to the chiropractor once a month and try to get a massage. I have quit pampering myself on the massage part and make me think I will pick up the phone and make an appointment.
Before you do anything, ask yourself..."How do you want to be remembered?"

vickyanns

Post by vickyanns » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:29 pm

hi im 37 and was a nurse in 2000 had back fusion have had problems ever since with depression, anxiety, pain . I now am unable to work and will be receiving my disability shortly. Ive always suffered with this I think a lot of it stems from things we went thru maybe as a child that are unresolved.I now have degenerative disc disease and might have to have neck surgery .

JoeyO

Post by JoeyO » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:13 am

I injured my back, neck and shoulder several yrs. ago after falling off a lader. I can relate to the increased anxiety and depression and now I'm making weekly visits with a chiropractor hoping He will make some improvments over time. I just finished session 4 and I will maintain some realistic expectations about my own life and what could be done to improve it.

JoeyO

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”