Diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Anxious Jenny

Post by Anxious Jenny » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:25 am

Hello everyone. I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's BUT i am neither hypo or hyper. They say there are antibodies attacking my thyroid. Could this attack be causing my anxiety and panic attacks? I also have a hard time gaining weight! I hate this! I just want this over with now. I found a website http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ and it's saying that even if you aren't hypo or hyper yet but you have antibodies, you should be treated with Armour and maybe stop the antibodies form attacking the thyroid. Sounds interesting! My endo says that my thyroid problem has absolutely nothing to do with my anxiety. I don't believe it! Any insights?
Take Care

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:18 pm

If you don't trust your endo, go get a second opinion... It's really, really important that the person who is going to treat you for this problem is someone you trust and agree with.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 am

Jenny,

I have been diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism 4 years ago, and have been on Armour now for about the last 8 months.

Too much thyroid hormone or an overactive (HYPER) thyroid can cause the symptoms of anxiety.

I'm seeing an Endo now too, and if you want to get alot more information on thyroid matters, check out Mary Shomon at about.com. Look for thyroid, and you will find tons of info.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 am

Dear anxious Jenny. I too believe that a thyroid that is not performing well does contribute to anxiety. I didn't have panic attacks for years but they have crept up on me inawares for about two years, I's say. Just before I started this program i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My skin uis dry and my hair falls out and i don't sleep well. I have been on the thyroid hormone for about a month now. i don't feel great on it. I have to take a blood test to see what my levels are. i went for a pysical and told my DR. that I was more anxious and didn't sleep as well as my extreme dry skin. etc. Unknown to me she ordered the THS test with my annual workup. WE will get the best of this. My sister has the Hoshimoto disease also with nodules. We will get the best of this. The CD's are wonderful.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Jenny, my GP also had a conversation with me about MY anxiety and thyroid disease.

For me, she advised me that thyroid disease or too much hormone CAN cause symptoms of anxiety, just as too little can cause symptoms of depression in some individuals.

But looking at how extreme my panic attacks and anxiety were, she said that she had seen anxiety from thyroid, and mine was not it.

mine was all anxiety. separate from the other.

Now, I have always dealt with anxiety in some form, and can be stubborn and put alot of pressure on myself to succeed. there are those who say that we "become our disease". with all of the pressure I put on myself to be liked, and to achieve my dreams, etc...I wouldn't doubt it if my body at some level decided to take charge (since I wouldn't) of me with this disease to "slow me down".

There is alot of science going into the effect that our mind has on our body, and I am a believer in it. this new frontier is exciting, as through this program you can re-wire your thoughts and stop beating yourself up (i love to do this- and it's not my thyroid causing me to do it), I have been taking alot of vitamins (high multi, high D, coconut oil), exercising, eating alot of fruits and veggies, and trying to de-stress, pray, and learn how to really take care of myself.

it is this approach, that has some in the health world thinking that you may be able to put the disease into remission (10% of hashimmoto's patients do experience remission after receiving treatment w/in the first 4-8 years of being diagnosed). I know, I know. 90% is nothing to bet against.

But what do I have to lose? I would like to be in that 10%, and if changing my lifestyle can help me atleast enjoy my life more, than I'm all in.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:09 am

you know, another thing to consider is that is takes a considerable amount of time for your body to adjust to treatment.

when my anxiety was at its height, i could swear that it was days.

But in all reality, it is weeks and perhaps MONTHS before your body gets back into the swing of things.

During this period, feeling depression or anxiety can be your body adjusting to the medication.

It takes time.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”