hypothyroidism causes depression, chronic pain, IBS, cardiovascular disease...

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Sparkler

Post by Sparkler » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:25 am

Dr. Mark Starr, http://www.21centurymed.com was on a radio show recently. He has a book out titled Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic. He says that undetected hypothyroidism is the underlying cause of a multitude of conditions, some of which I listed. For a longer list, see his web site.

I've had adrenal fatigue syndrome, self-diagnosed and successfully treated with adrenal supplements. Dr. Starr says that adrenal fatigue syndrome and hypothyroidism are closely linked. I had hypothyroidism when I was 8 years old to the point that I couldn't compete in sports, I had fainting spells, and have always been low-energy, shy, withdrawn, depressive. When I complained of being tired one morning, mom said I was white as a sheet, took me to the doctor who put me on thyroid, but only for a while. Now that I'm 46, my hair is thinning, another sign of hypothyroidism, along with back pain, leg cramps, and numbness in the legs. Dr. Starr says it's hereditary. My mom has a lot of the same problems, along with overweight, arthritis, macular degeneration, Alzheimers, and now atrial fibrillation (weak heart, heart palpitations) - all symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Some people have said "Oh, but it's all a part of getting old", or "you're just worrying about every little thing until you get it." I'm getting his book anyway. Does anybody else have experience with hypothyroidism?
Sparky Mark Spark the Sparkler

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:27 am

I've had border line low thyroid. Are you taking any synthetic thyroid hormone for the hypothyroidism? That is usually the antidote. My Dad had to take it also. My understanding is that low thyroid can interfere with a lot of different bodily functions and can cause depression. You need a blood test to determine if your thyroid hormone is low and what level of synthetic hormone you need.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm not taking any thyroid right now. I can't afford doctors. I had a blood test at a health fair a year ago, and my TSH (3rd generation) was 0.75 MIU/L, reference range 0.40 - 4.50. Sounds to me like that's borderline low. I'll bet the thyroid I took when I was 8 was synthetic. Dr. Starr recommends dessicated thyroid instead, because it contains the full range of thyroid hormones.

Also, Dr. Starr says the most indicative factor is a low body temperature. A basal (under arm) body temperature below 97.8 is a strong indication of type 2 hypothyroidism. I took my temperature according to directions for a few days, and it was between 96.8 - 97.3.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 pm

Please be careful just having your tsh checked. Mine is normal but I have my t3 and t4 checked my t4 is low and I have hypothyroidism. I take 100 mcg of synthyroid daily. I have low energy,hair loss, dry skin, IBS, depresion, vitamin and mineral definitcies, palpitations and leg cramps.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

I have hypothyroidism and this wasn't discovered until I was going through menopause. Tomorrow will be a week since I had the cardiac artery cleared because I was a walking time bomb but my heart is doing great because I took up running when I was diagnosis with hypothyroidism.
I had a heart attack when I was 43 so hypothyroidism is just something that happens and more common then you think.
I think my years of anxiety/panic attacks and depression are the main reason for all the medical problems. If I was more in control and happy I believe none of this stuff would have happened so early in my life.

LyndaLu

Re: hypothyroidism causes depression, chronic pain, IBS, car

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:13 pm

I know that these posts are old, but they sure have opened up my eyes
about thyroid issues. I just started taking thyroid medication and I am
going through menopause and I have MANY physical health issues in
addition to depression and anxiety. I have arthritis and colitis and
physical pain, and thyroid nodules that are growing and a cyst on my
right kidney and high blood pressure and B12 deficiency and iron deficient
anemia and I am taking prescription medication for osteoporosis and
vitamin D3 also. I have tinnitus, a previous history of migraines and now
I need orthotics for my shoes because of plantar fasciitis. I have degenerative
AC joint disease in my left shoulder. I cannot lift up my right arm, don't
know the diagnosis on that yet. I have acid reflux. I have mental illness.
I had a hysteroscopy last year which involved a removal of a cyst.
And I have a fibroid tumor too. I AM ONLY 54 YEARS OLD. :(

Lynda

LyndaLu

Re: hypothyroidism causes depression, chronic pain, IBS, car

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:31 pm

My doctor raised my dose of my thyroid medication

just recently. Recently I had a thyroid ultrasound.

The ultrasound showed that one of my three thyroid

nodules was growing. I had to have a needle biopsy

of that growing thyroid to get cells from that thyroid

nodule. The tests came back negative for any cancer

cells. Does anyone have thyroid nodules ? Have you

ever had a needle biopsy ?

Lynda :?

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”