Any ideas?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:17 am

Hi,

I've had trouble with dizziness/off-balance sensations for many years, along with being worn out all the time (I do have a sleep disorder). Today I saw an ENT, who tested me for BPPV (Dix-Hallpike), and he says I definitely don't have BPPV. BPPV can come and go, he says, so even if I was diagnosed with it in the past, I don't have it now.

So what's up? I noticed even as a kid that exertion tended to make me feel lightheaded and dizzy. It also tends to bring on orthostatic hypotension. Good grief, have I got some kind of vascular disorder?

Head movements also tend to cause sensations of unsteadiness/spinning in my head. Has anybody out there ever heard of this?

purpmartin

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:07 pm

purpmartin...The dizziness and unsteadiness is definitely a symptom of anxiety!!! I had that for years and years!!!

Also, you may be experiencing some inner ear problems!!! You may have fluid behind your ear drums!!!

Every time I see the doctor, he looks into my ears and asks, "Do you know you have fluid in your ears?" I respond by saying...Yes, I can feel the pressure behind my ear drums...

In my experience with the inner ear thing...My ears have clear liquid when I clean them...And, when I move my head, at certain times, this really acts up by making me feel dizzy and off-balance!!!

You may also just be prone to ear infections!!!

I would get those ears checked out, and if this isn't the problem, then, I would bet my bottom dollar, that you have always suffered from anxiety, even as a child!!!

I pray this helps...

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:21 pm

My boss used to have those symptoms and went to the Dr. and they told her she had Vertigo. She got meds and got over it quick but since it is an inner ear thing I would think that the ENT would have seen it so maybe that's not it. She never had any anxiety or depression whatsoever.

3 years ago I was diagnosed as BiPolar. Does anyone else have that? I got this program thinking maybe it would help me since depression is involved. I take meds but know that Cognitive Behavior Modification can also help along with this but have never done it. Any thoughts on this anybody?

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 am

Hi,

I went to the ENT yesterday. He did the Dix-Hallpike test on me, which is specific for diagnosing BPPV. He says I definitely don't have it, even if somebody else diagnosed it in the past. BPPV can come and go.

I don't have fluid behind my ear drums, and my hearing is perfect--which the doctor says is unusual for anybody my age (50).

My blood pressure was UP to 111/80 yesterday, which surprised me. Usually orthostatic hypotension occurs when my blood pressure has taken a drop. It's baffling. Moreover, it doesn't seem to me that hypotension would be the RESULT of anxiety.

Oh, well. I hope somebody can figure out this thing.

purpmartin

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 am

purpmartin, anxiety certainly CAN cause hypotension. I have a fear (syncope) of having needles stuck in my veins and will pass out if not lying down. I get tunnel vision, buzzing in my ears, tight chest etc. all typical anxiety symptoms that disappear along with the doctors office in my rearview mirror. one time I had it in my mind I was going to be a man and remain sitting during a blood sample taking. I passed out in the middle of it, woke to find myself on the floor and some unhappy nurses that I hadn't told them I have needle fear. They took my blood pressure, it was VERY low, and returned to normal after about an hour, especially once I escaped the medical facility. my blood pressure had gone so low I passed out, lost conciousness, all from a panic attack over them drawing blood. I have been known to pass out if in front of people (social phobia) and used to pass out if having a panic attack in a crowded social situation. It hasn't gotten that bad very often but I first passed out reading scripture in church as a 12 year old, all the results of anxiety/panic disorder. Just wanted to input my experiences with low blood pressure which for me is totally a result of many many years of anxiety disorder.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”