C.O.P.D.

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Mary L. Smith

Post by Mary L. Smith » Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 am

I am finding out that many of my copd symptoms are also like panic and anxeity attacks. If I do know I am having a panic attack it interferes serverley with my breathing, then heart rate. I sometimes find myself using medicne when it really isn't necessary. I don't like to overdo it with xanax either. It is hard to get outside to walk or anything. Does anyone else have this problem?
Mary
freeone

GirlWisdom

Post by GirlWisdom » Tue May 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Mary. I was also diagnosed with C.O.P.D about December 08 and after being told that, I joined a group to quit smoking and have been off cigarettes for three months and two weeks.I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who is supportive and doesn't smoke . That helps too. I'm in the early stage of C.O.P.D so I didn't want to get worse. Getting back to what you said though, I know what you mean with panic attacks sharing similar symptoms to C.O.P.D and the breathing etc.... I remember before I was diagnosed with C.O.P.D I would feel shorter of breath more than usual when I was anxious and just blew it off . I didn't want to think that it could have been C.O.P.D but it was. How long have you had this disease? Do you smoke?

Hugs
Beth
'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

Mary L. Smith

Post by Mary L. Smith » Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Beth, Thanks for your imput.I have had copd for about 7 years now, and sadly to say I still smoke. I know I have to quit but it is hard as my copd has progressed so much I can't do all the other things people do when they quit. My shortness of breath is so bad I can hardly walk from one room to another, let alone do anything when I get there. My faith is very important to me and I know that God will help me, it's just that being alone and going through this makes it a little more difficult.
I am so glad you quit when you did, now you have a fighting chance.
Thanks again and the best to you,
Mary
freeone

GirlWisdom

Post by GirlWisdom » Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Mary. Just wondering, are you on oxygen? If not, please quit before that happens. I know it's hard at first, but if I can do it , so can you. I know everyone is different, but I loved smoking and thought I'd never be where I am now with three and a half months under my belt. You said you cannot do all the other things people do when they quit. What do you mean? I know that I have a lot more energy now, and breathe a whole lot better than when I smoked and I haven't used my C.O.P.D inhalor since I quit. You will be surprised at the healing that takes place in your body after you quit. C.O.P.D is irreversible yes, but the lungs still heal in other ways once you quit. I don't mean to sound like a preacher, but I care deeply about others and since you and I share the same ailment I just want you to know there is hope. I quit in an addiction class called TARP-(Tobacco Addiction Recovery and I forget what the P stands for . :roll: The head of the group is a registered nurse specializing in addictions. For me to quit, I started on the 21mg patch along with the gum, then the 14mg patch with the nicotine gum, then the 7 mg patch (last patch) with gum, then in a couple of weeks , I go it alone. I still have cravings but not as bad as week one, and they are manageable at least. In time the triggers and cravings will be a thing of the past. I wish the same for you, and God will help you when you go through your addiction recovery like he is helping me. Please get back to me any time you need/want to talk. God Bless! When you are ready to quit, you will just don't wait too long.

Hugs
Beth
'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

Mary L. Smith

Post by Mary L. Smith » Sun May 24, 2009 9:46 am

Girl Wisdom, Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes, I am on oxygen. You were very wise to quit smoking when you did. This is no life. I cannot wear the patch, chew the gum, or use any ther stop smoking aids because of my medicnes and such. I amslowly trying to cut down and then go cold turkey but so far it hasn't happened. I get real down when I fail, but get back up and keep trying. The funny part of it is , is that now I don't even like to smoke! I will suceed, it will just take some time and preserverance. I sometimes wonder if it will do me any good to quit now, but I do keep trying. Thanks for the support and the best to you
Mary
freeone

Tobie

Post by Tobie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:39 pm

I have COPD also for approximately 15 yrs. Moved to my sons home in 2001 and started using oxygen shortly thereafter. In reading about the struggles of smoking and breathing my heart goes out to you both, I understand how hard it is. I went to the Shick center (don't know if they still exist) where they used aversion therepy, and I really needed that becasue I was so addicted to smoking (2pk daily) Shick worked for me. The most important thing is the breathing, its something they taught me during Shick, and also another program that I had enrolled it. The breathing is what relaxed everything. so it would be a good thing to consentrate on since your unable to tolerate the patches, etc.Also see if there is a rehab program in your area, my doctor sent me to one, and it was HARD, but very worthwhile. Good luck to you, and I will pray for you. Tobie

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”