Fibromyalgia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Joy-suthrnphoduck

Post by Joy-suthrnphoduck » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:38 pm

If you have Fibromyalgia, what medicines do you take if any and what do you do to help with the pain?
Three enemies of personal peace: regrets over yesterday's mistakes, anxiety over tomorrow's problems, and ingratitude for today's blessings. ~William A. Ward

Laurana

Post by Laurana » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:32 pm

I have fibromyalgia and I take Amitriptyline (generic Elavil). I tried some other medications, but they didn't work for me at all.

I used to take 25mg, but I tried to go off of it and couldn't (too much physical pain) and now take 10mg. I only take it at night because it makes me verrrrry sleeeeeepy. zzzzzzzz...

Hope that helps-
Laurana

Joy-suthrnphoduck

Post by Joy-suthrnphoduck » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:20 am

Thanks Laurana. Do you get out everyday, like go to work, school or whatever? I am currently on Cymbalta antidepressant that helps with pain and Klonopin antianxiety which also helps with pain. I still have to push myself to go to work and by the time I get home I want to get in the bed because I am sooo tired.
Three enemies of personal peace: regrets over yesterday's mistakes, anxiety over tomorrow's problems, and ingratitude for today's blessings. ~William A. Ward

deedee12414

Post by deedee12414 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:14 pm

Hi , I also was told I have fibromyalgia I was diagnosed in 2001 , I also was told I have Chronic fatique syndrome ibs , I take Amitriptyline 25 mgs at bedtime and also baclofen 30 mgs , I have been taking them for about 4 yrs now , I was on other meds before but stopped taking them since they did not help me, I have alot of pain and other medical issues besides the fm
Dee

Joy-suthrnphoduck

Post by Joy-suthrnphoduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:28 pm

Do you think that fb is related to anxiety? I think me having the aches and pains causes me anxiety and depression too. Sometimes, like today,I hurt in my right arm/elbow area and especially in my right hip that I have a hard time concetrating on what I need to do.

klrskyz

Post by klrskyz » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:16 am

Hi Everyone - I'm new to this. I am working throug the program, though. It's GREAT! ~~ About the pain you feel. Before I began recognizing the link (for me, your story may be different) between my stress/anxiety/depression and how my body felt, I was extremely tense, body-wise. I'd be so stiff in the morning, that I'd have to sit in my hot tub for 20 minutes, just to be able to be limber enough to take a shower. I'd get dressed for work, then find I was still so stiff that I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. Sometimes my husband would tie my shoes for me, sometimes I just didn't go into work. I switched from laced shoes to velcro closures, and I still couldn't do it. ~~ Another thing about body pain - I clamp my jaws. I wear a guard at night now, but years ago I actually clamped so hard that I "gave myself" what appeared to be two abscessed teeth. I couldn't close my mouth entirely, because the wisdom tooth and molar next to it were so swollen, they prevented it. The dentist found no infection, but did two root canals. ~~ My point is that stress/anxiety not only takes over your thoughts, it can take over your body. ~~ I'm not dismissing your pain, I just want to share that when I began to think differently about the pain (that it was another way my anxiety was expressing itself), it has almost completely disappeared. And I have to mention that Linda's breathing exercise and positive "replacement" talk (that's what I call it) has helped me tremendously. ~~

Joy-suthrnphoduck

Post by Joy-suthrnphoduck » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Hey klrskyz,
Thanks for your input. Hope you get to feeling better. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1996. I am now off of Cymbalta, switched to Elavil and take Klonopin as needed with my doctor's guidance. My anxiety and depression is much better now. My stiffness and pain however is still with me. When my stress is high, or I eat certain things, I get flare ups bad. I have a sheet that I started filling out that rates my pain throughout the day and keep track of what I eat, and what activities I do. Thanks again for everybody's input. :)

klrskyz

Post by klrskyz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:21 am

Joy -
I've learned so much from you! Tell me, which type of food gives you flare-ups? Stress can cause so many things, but food - I don't know a thing about that (except that caffiene isn't good for you).
Thanks!

hopeandfaith

Post by hopeandfaith » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:36 pm

Actually I don't believe fibromyalgia is anxiety. I believe people with FMS have more anxiety due to being ill every single day. There are many physiciological studies being done that show we have more substance p in our spines than those without FMS. I have many friends with FMS that do not have an anxiety disorder nor are they depressed. It is a real disease with scientific and medical proof of what is off in our bodies that can be contributing to our disease. Also, many with FMS which is a rheumatological disease also have lupus and or other diseases. FMS can mimic lupus and MS at its worst. I have tried everything including the oxycontins and now currently am doing 120mg of cymbalta and it has helped the neuropathic pain tremendously. With FMS it is imperative to learn to manage stress/anxiety as it makes flare ups and every day living so much worse.
"You must do the one thing you think you cannot" Eleanor Roosevelt

Joy-suthrnphoduck

Post by Joy-suthrnphoduck » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:36 pm

To bring you all up to date, I am currently on Elavil, Klonopin and Guaifenesin Protocol. Cymbalta does not agree with my chemistry. I have been on Guaifenesin anyway because of sinus and allergy problems. I have found that it has been very helpful and gets me through the day as I have to work full time. Also, I have found that if I cut back on any sweets before bedtime, which is my weakness, that I don't wake up as stiff and swollen in the mornings. I do believe, however, that anxiety and depression comes into the picture because of having to deal with the pain and symptoms everyday. It's not fun when you have to call the boss once or twice a week and tell them u can't come in because of the pain and flare ups.

I have talked with a lot of people with fibromyalgia and some of them have it so bad that they have to go on disability.

I have learned that with anything I have struggled with that writing and talking about it is a big plus. I know that it is easier said than done but when you change your negative thoughts to positive ones it is another big plus. It works for me. My heart goes out to anyone that has to struggle with anything that they have to face everyday. God bless. :)

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”