Multiple Sclerosis

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
TwstdStitch

Post by TwstdStitch » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi everyone: Just started the program today, even though I've had it shoved to the back of my closet for 5 years. I'm the world's best procrastinator. :) To make a very long story short, I've been the family caregiver for over 30 years...all while trying to have a marriage and raise a child. Eventually, as I aged, the caregiving started to add more and more stress and my own health suffered. I've had heart problems over the years;angioplasty/stent, and am currently "watching" an aortic anuerysm praying that it won't need surgery. I have degenerative arthritis of the spine, from the neck clear down to the tailbone. And after MANY years of being told I had a "mystery immune disease" was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The medication I take seems to keep it under control other than one or two relapses a year. I also have a lot of trouble when it's very cold, or very warm. I'm having a relapse right now...but was also taking care of my 80 year old Mom who had a stroke two months ago. So I'm sure stress played a big part in it all. I've always been high/stress, high/anxiety and a big worrier. But for some reason, this latest batch of caregiving, worrying, illness, etc. sent me right over the edge. I know this is a safe place to admit this...but if it weren't for the fact that I have my son and adore him I honestly think I would have been fine ending it all. That's what had me digging this program out of my closet. I hope anyone else here who is dealing with MS, depression and anxiety is finding this helpful. I'm right beside you and know we can do this. Thanks for listening...and if you need me, I can listen too. :))
Jean
In a very dark hole somewhere in PA
"Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut"

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm sorry that you are going through a rough time. I hope the program helps you. I know how stress can exacerbate medical problems.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

giga247

Post by giga247 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:32 am

hi rose thorn98 liked your simple advice true stress has made my heart problem worse at times and hopefully as i continue the program and put my faith in God i will be able to control my fears and tears. Keep up the encouragement and God bless

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”