Simple Fainting (Vasovagal Attacks)

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
E. Ann

Post by E. Ann » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:23 am

I officially finished the tapes last Wednesday and, although I don't feel completely healed, I do feel I have taken great steps forward. Ironically, the following day I ran into what may be my first "growth spurt"--I fainted while sitting in a class. I had fainted once before about 5 years ago, but I had decided that was due to specific outside influences that I could pinpoint. I had also experience several near-fainting episodes ever since I was a child, so I thought this one, too, would pass without problem, but it didn't. After I regained consciousness, I started feeling better (other than having weak legs) and my parents picked me up. The next day I felt better so I went to work. Less than 30 minutes into my task for the day, I started feeling the symptoms of fainting again, so I had my mom pick me up and take me to the doctor. Although I had a physical three weeks prior, I knew I'd worry about if I didn't get checked out immediately. The good news is that the fainting spells don't seem to be connected to a heart or neurological problem. The bad news is that since I have fainting before, I will probably faint again. Apparently there's a saying "Once a fainter, always a fainter" and I fit into that category. Although I can feel when it's coming on, there is no particular external stimulus that causes it, and therefore I cannot really prevent a fainting spell from coming on. It's ironic, because as I was going through the program I would hear people talk about how they were afraid to drive or go shopping because they were afraid that they'd faint, but I couldn't relate to that. I had never been afraid that I'd faint. But now I am. I'm supposed to drive, by myself, 5 hours away from home next week for a business trip and I WILL go, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking, what if I feel like I'm going to faint while I'm driving or while I'm in a strange city where no one knows me? I'm going to school to be a paramedic and just last week I had decided that if I find I enjoy the job as much as I think I will, I'll quit my current job (which I don't particularly like) and find a job as a paramedic, possibly even in a different state. But now I feel that fear of "what if they won't let me be a paramedic because I have 'unexplained syncope'?" or what if I faint while on a call....I wouldn't be any good to anybody, or what if I do get a job out of state and I faint? I can't call my parents to come pick me up when I'm several hours away. I know I shouldn't "what if" think and I know that as time passes (especially if much time passes in which I don't have any episodes) I will forget to worry about it, but right now it worries me and feels like a huge boulder has been thrown into my path and it's going to take some effort to get around it. I know I'll overcome it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, what have you done about it?

Thanks.

purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 am

I don't seem to have a fainting problem, but do have low blood pressure and am prone to orthostatic hypotension. Vigorous physical activity seems to make my blood pressure drop--I can be riding my tricycle and suddenly go light-headed. That's why I don't quite trust myself on a two-wheeler! My primary care physician, and even a cardiologist (!) told me to eat extra salt. Do you think that might help you? Otherwise I have nothing to suggest except a Medic Alert bracelet, just in case. I hope somebody out there can be more helpful.
NFinNO

Beema

Post by Beema » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 am

I have this problem and was finally diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction. Its very scary and brought back all my panic symptoms. My problem is its very hard to tell the difference in whats panic symptoms and whats presyncope symptoms. The problem with this is those 2 things are handled differently. With panic of course you want to push through and with my autonomic dysfunction I am to lay down put my feet up and do counterpressure to try to stop the faint. This makes it hard to do anything and my anxiety goes so high.
My electrophysiologist who diagnosed me says I cant stand for longer than 7 to 8 min and so that limits me so much. Heres what they suggest for me. I am to drink no less than 120 ounces of fluid a day and also to eat more salt. Be sure not to get overheated. A hot shower will do it everytime. I also had tachycardia so was given a betablocker to slow my heart down and now its actually too slow in my opinion. Usually stays in the 50s and sometimes into the 40s. My dr is comfortable with that. Since you seem to faint sitting be very careful driving as you don't want to have an accident and hurt yourself or others plus once you faint when driving they will take your license at least for a period of time. I admire that you are determined to push forward with this and continue living your life.
I suggest that if you continue having these episodes you see an electrophysiologist which is a cardilogist who specializes in the wiring of your heart. They are the real experts.

CarolM

Re: Simple Fainting (Vasovagal Attacks)

Post by CarolM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi. I can relate to what you are saying. I have fainted a few times in my life, and as far as I know there is nothing "wrong" with me. I'm glad to hear that it happens very infrequently to you. Recently I went to the gyno for a test that is quite painful and almost fainted they told me to lie down because i was white as a ghost. I've also fainted a few times as a child (for no apparent reason) and also at work it just came out of nowhere, my boss caught me. almost went out at the dentist but layed down, fainted on the toilet from a cramp and woke up on the bathroom floor... I tried the other day counting how many times i've fainted outright in my life (i'm 42) and i think i came up with 5-6x. There were countless times i felt like I was going to faint but never did and it fed into my anxiety. I never heard that "once a fainter always a fainter" but that sound like me. Anyway just wanted to let you know your not alone with these vasovagal attacks. I do know when i felt faint at a doctors visit (just out of the blue). The doc told me it's really important to stay hydrated and not to go to long with out eating. I think eating a little protein thru out the day is important. If you have any concern with driving I would just run your concerns by your doctor and ask him what he/she thinks would help lesson your risk while on the road. like maybe eating frequently and drinking plenty of water. I can understand your concern about having to pull over in a city you don't know anyone. But it sounds like if for some reason that happens (1) you can eat/drink and maybe lay down in your back seat. (2) take a cell phone with you to give you some security. I think the main thing is speak with your doctor about your concerns and they will give you a better understanding as to what you are dealing with and what you can do if it happens.
And remember to take your goody bag (cell phone, gps if you have it, water or juice, protein bars or other food, blanket, cold compress anything you feel helps) btw i take a goody bag when i go to the dentist for fillings etc.. since i've had problems there. Well hope this helps and cutos for getting thru the program and your strong determination to get past this hurtle! :)

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”