Hyperventilation syndrome?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
kristymay_c

Post by kristymay_c » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:15 am

Does anybody else suffer from "Hyperventilatin syndrome"? I've had this breathing condition for over two years now, and I've been tested for EVERYTHING, but all tests come back normal. Basically, I feel unable to get a satisfying breath. I yawn all the time, and feel the need to take deep breaths because I feel short of breath. This doesn't happen during anxiety attacks, it happens throughout the day, every day. Some days are worse than others, but the doctor's keep telling me that it's manifested anxiety. At first I didn't beleive it, but apprently it's true. I looked up my symptoms on the internet, and discussed my symptoms with a breathing coach, and everything points to hyperventilation syndrome, which is caused by anxiety. Anybody else suffer from this?

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:30 am

My sister did! She was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance and was SO embarrased. She learned breathing techniques. I beleive Dr. Andrew Weil has some breathing CD's and there are meditation, Yoga classes that practice breathing techniques as well. She ovedcame this, I bet you can too. Anxiety stinks and causes stuff like this to occur. The great thing is is that it is not permanent.
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kumiko

Post by Kumiko » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:50 am

I have never heard of hyperventilation syndrome but I have the same issues you have. I used to yawn a lot too!! It even happened to me yesterday while at a show I felt like I could not take a full breath or fill my lungs and I noticed that when I focus on breathing I cannot breathe right. I have taken yoga for relaxation AND to help myself learn diaphragm breathing because I am a chest breather and I can't stand it!!! I have tried to focus on diaphragm breathing and sometimes I get out of breath but I keep at it. I have a meditation CD that helps with breathing and am still retraining myself in my 30's on how to breathe properly. It is weird how breathing wrong makes you feel but when I realize that I am breathing wrong I will focus on my breath and get it right and then try to forget about focusing on it and let it be and sometimes I have to do something to get my mind off it. When I remember I hold my stomach and practice diaphragm breathing until it comes naturally.

Heather K

Post by Heather K » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:57 pm

I have the same problem. From the time i wake up in the morning till i go to bed i feel like i cant breathe. it has gotten so bad i am constantly obssesing about it.i even carry a pulse oximeter to check my oxygen level which is always 98 or over. i feel like its not a natural reaction anymore and i have to control it and by doing so i end up making myself feel worse. My main fear is i feel like im going to just stop breathing. i have had all the tests done also and they all came back fine and there telling me its anxiety. and over the last week or so i have started yawning constantly to try and get a full breath. its just such a scary feeling. i really thought i was alone. i dont know how to turn the switch off. and when i do try deep breathing techniques it seems to get worse because im focusing on my breathing even more. if anyone has any helpful solutions please let me know. thanks!

kristymay_c

Post by kristymay_c » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:33 am

Heather K: It's definitely a scary feeling. But, just knowing that nothing is actually WRONG with me and that it really is only anxiety, makes me feel a little bit better. I bought a book that seems to help a little bit. It's called "Hyperventilation Syndrome- breathing patter disorders" by Dinah Bradley. I ended up searching high and low for the original book and couldn't find it because they don't make it anymore. However, I did end up finding it in a pair. So, I bought it, from the Hong Kong! *lol* I read it and it does make me feel better. It helps! Perhaps this may help you. If you can't find the book anywhere, let me know, I have two. It gives details about hyperventilation syndrome and it also tells you ways to deal with it and to bring your breathing back to normal. Since I got the book only three weeks ago, I'm still practicing the exercises. My breathing has improved, and I'm hoping it will improve even more. Just realize that there is nothing disease related wrong with you. It's manifested anxiety. Anxiety is very powerful. You're not alone! I hope this makes you feel better!

Kumiko

Post by Kumiko » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:11 pm

kristymay_c,
NOW I understand what hyperventilation syndrome is. I had the panic attack from HELL last night and it all stemmed from a week and a half of stress, negative thinking and hyperventilating! I did go to the ER last night because my .5 mg of xanax DID NOT work!!!I tried to calm down on my own in the ER but could not and they gave a some Ativan that had the room spinning!! Anyways, I woke up in the middle of the night in a night sweat and tried to do things to get my mind off of the impending negative thoughts but it did not work and I had to go and call my husband, an X-box 360 buff from in the basement to come and sit with me because I was panicking. Now before I went downstairs I took .5 mg of xanax but it did not work and I said we had to go to the DR. When I request that it means it is beyond anybody being able to talk sense to me or get me to calm down stage and he got our boys up and we got in the car and drove to the ER which is right down the street from us. I had him carry me in the doors and he put me down. To digress a bit, when I have over night panic it is because of my racing heart and thinking I am having a heart attack, last night I did not think of my heart nor did I check my pulse several times. I swear I thought I was going to pass out. I had that tingling sensation from head to toe, I could not breathe and my mouth was so dry a cactus bloom came out of the corner!!! Usually when we are leaving the house and the closer we would get to the hopspital I'd feel better but I did not I could not breate right for the life of me and I knew this was it, my husband and kids would be alone, this is a scary way to die-being conscious of it and I just pictured all the life saving hub bub they'd do in the ER and how I would have to remember it all and be scared through it. Who knew how long it would last? Well my husband told the nurse that I was panicking and the Dr. came in later to talk with me and it happened again. As I was talking the tingling started and that head pressure and ear popping started and I had to stop and he understood and helped me with some deep inhale and exhales but it seemed to make things worse. The absolute worse feeling/attack -ever!! He kept asking what am I so anxious or stressed about and what have been going on the past week and we talked a bit. He asked how much xanax I take and what I needed it for and why I had PTSD and about my therapist.

well, on my discharge sheet it said hyperventilation sydrome. Under the part that says what you have been evealuated for it stated: acute hyperventilation syndrome and anxiety reaction with hyperventilation. I would've done anyting to have thought of and had a paper bag while i waitied for my husband to come and take me to the ER and geez...what hapened with the xanax because I took another one while waiting for him because the tingling came in waves and got worse and worse. I have never been so scared and thought less about having a heart attack in my life!

Funny thing is I went to a yoga class Thurs and tried to deep breathe but could not. I have been trying all week to diapraghm breathe because I noticed I was chest breathing a lot but I thought it was because of my allergies but I recall almost straining to catch my breath or taking a deep breath and plus I suffer from GERD and that causes chest discomfort.

Just wanted to share my nightmare and tell you now I know what hyperventiation sydrome is and still wonder how those who say go through the anxiety/panic attack can do that ,especially when you feel the way I did. I think I would have lost my mind or consciousness seeing there was no way I could talk myslf down and my back up drug decided not to work.

MIC

Post by MIC » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:30 am

hi kristymay i to have proplem like that at night when im trying to go to sleep may be there is some kind of sleep proplem going on that you do not know about look in to just idea mine is do to a sleep proplem good luck god bless

MIC

Post by MIC » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:44 am

all that are suffering from this hyperventilation syndrome go and have a sleep study done it can not hurt mine is all sleep disoder :?any one want to write back im in chat

Bri

Post by Bri » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:13 am

I am so glad I saw your post! The first time I experienced the feeling of being smothered and that I couldn't get a full breathe for the life of me started when I was 3 months pregnant. I was sooo scared that I was going to die because I couldn't catch my breathe and worried my baby wasn't getting enough oxygen that I went on zoloft for about a week, but that just made me feel worse! The worst was when I had to call my mom to come over and help me with the baby because my hands started tingling and curling up. We were both so scared that she called 911 and the paramedics came just to tell me it was anxiety. Talk about an embarrassing and expensive lesson. It lasted from the moment I woke up to the moment I actually fell asleep! It comes and goes now lasting for maybe a few days to many months. I never knew what it was. The dr.'s just said it was anxiety but I got out of breath just walking to my car! I couldn't walk around the block or upstairs without gasping for air. All the dr.'s were telling me I was healthy and fine, but I thought I had to have something wrong with my heart or some other kind of disease. Then it would go away as mysteriously as it came and so I thought If I did have some kind of disease it wouldn't disappear like that? I am SOOOO thankfull I read all of your comments! Thank you for sharing. I now carry a paper bag in my car and my purse and all around the house!

magicfox

Post by magicfox » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:59 am

Hello everyone, I am 26 years old and i have had chronic hyperventilation syndrome now for about 5 years. I found out this is what i had after already having it for 2yrs. Doctor's could never figure out what was wrong with me, I was misdiagnosed with all kinds of things until this 'real' diagnosis came. This is definately a horrible condition and it is sometime hard to do anything with this condition. I am glad to see that there are others that experience this horrible thing. Has anyone ever been pregnant with this syndrome. I am currently pregnant with my second child and my first pregnancy was so incredible horrible. I literally felt like I was going to die. I could barely move out of bed and now that I already have a child that is just not an option that my body has. Does anyone have any advice on how I can make this pregnancy smoother?

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”