Reflux & Anxiety

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
AdeleS

Post by AdeleS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 am

Has anyone experienced what I call the vicious cycle. Some of my anxiety is centered around how my stomach feels. I get terrible reflux, which starts my anxiety going. Then I think my anxiety further upsets my stomach, to the point where I can't tell if my upset stomach is reflux or anxiety. I have a terrible fear of nausea & vomiting, so I fear getting sick when my stomach is upset. So when I try to calm myself down using my comforting thoughts and statements, I'm not sure what to say. I tell myself I am healthy and that I just have reflux & and it's just anxiety. Any thoughts?

lugnut

Post by lugnut » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:34 pm

I have GERD. My anxiety is what sets it off. On the days when I am more anxious it is horrible, I get bad chest pain. When I panic about the acid symptoms it will get worse. So I try to recognize it when it starts to come on and then calm my stess reaction. I was on medication for a year but it didn't make it better. Gastro Dr. said I needed to get my anxiety under control to get the GERD under control. At first I didn't believe him, but in the end he was right. I'm doing alot better now that I eliminated a very stressful situation in my life. Anxiety can cause lots of body reactions.

Celion

Post by Celion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 am

i have the same problem with gerd and anxiety. it always seems like the gerd problem gets me anxious but reading what Rose wrote makes sense. maybe it is the otherway around...

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I was glad to see I wasn't the only person that had this ordeal, though it does make perfect sense. Stress, anxiety = GERD, GERD= stress and anxiety! I developed some nasty GERD last winter. I was under extreme stress, and suffered a breakdown. I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER. It was GERD. Got some Nexium. It's expensive but excellent stuff. I also started on Lexapro as well, which got the anxiety down, and helped the GERD. When im under extra stress, my stomach acid starts flaring up. It also seems to start up during PMS or my period. There are also some other factors that make it worse too. For some reason drinking alot of water and when Im really hungry and gone too long without food the GERD acts up as well.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”