Hypochondria or not?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Kimmygirl

Post by Kimmygirl » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:02 am

Hi fellow hypochondriacs! My name is Kim, and I just started the program this month. I am so releived to find this message board about this stuff cause Im going through it big time. I find it comforting that many of us have chest pains and think we're having heart attacks, and have been to the ER a few times!

Over the past 2 months I've been to the ER twice thinking I was having heart trouble or gallstone trouble. WEll as it turns out the first time was a panic attack, but I just had to make sure I was ok. The second time was one heck of an Acid Reflux attack causing esohpagitis, though they did a thorough cardiac eval on me and EKG and labs were normal. My doc says that perhaps gallstones was giving me GERD, yet I've never heard of that happening before. I do have stones, but they've only bothered me 2 times. One time was 8 years ago and the other 5 years ago. They're floating around in there, but not blocking anything and my gallbladder, spleen, liver, kidneys and aorta all look fine after an ultrasound 2 weeks ago. That was a relief, yet my analytical mind worries something could be missed. Being a hypochondriac is exhausting!

So Im taking Nexium for the acid reflux and irritation and Lexapro for the anxiety. I have to admit, getting that anxiety under control helps the hypochondria quite a bit! My anxiety and depression is lifting quite quickly only being on it 1 week.

Im having alot of pain in my shoulder joints, under my arms, elbows, ribs, and breasts and sometimes my breast bone. Scared me yesterday, but it goes away with advil,rest, and getting warm if it's cold! And baby it's cold outside! So of course what do I do? comb WEbmd too much!! Ha Ha Ha. Gosh it's so nice to know Im not the only one that does this. My mom was a nurse, and I too have an interest in the medical field and have too many medical books to read!!

I do believe in my rational mind I possibly could have Fibromyalgia. I've had signs of it for years, and been reading lately and have alot of the signs too. Does anyone else here have Fibrymyalgia? Would like to compare notes if so.

cojo

Post by cojo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:16 am

This is great to hear these stories!!!

I've had every disease twice in the past five years, and thought I was pregnant once. (i'm a guy)

WEB MD is the devil!

MaryfromLINY

Post by MaryfromLINY » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Oh how I had t0o laugh - especially at Lilly Light's post re: being a young child looking at the family medical books - I did the SAME thing!!!!!!!!! My mother evens tells the story about how I was young and found a disease in those books and swore up and down to her that I had "prostate" problems (I am a female.)

I, too, find everything wrong - and what I don't find on the internet, I can really work up the ol' imagination!

It doesn't help to have genuine medical issues. You are always waiting for the other "shoe to drop."
Mary (Long Island, New York)

BW

Post by BW » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 am

Hi, Kimmygirl,
I had GERD when my gallstones were giving me trouble. I recently read that people with gallstones do better to get the gallbladder removed sooner rather than later. I had a lot less trouble with reflux after having mine removed. Those stones won't go away, and if you get the surgery that'll be one less thing to worry about. What does your doctor say?

MaxCat

Post by MaxCat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:03 pm

I, too, enjoyed this thread, especially since you're all still alive!

And here I thought I was alone searching all these symptoms on google... being very careful NOT to clear the history incase I died... then people would have a clue as to what killed me.

Geeze, I feel better already!

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:07 am

argh!

I still do this too much!

I actually DO have a chronic illness (hypothyroidism) that is normally well controlled with a pill every day.

but boy, not only am I having a hard time still accepting my diagnosis (i was diagnosed 2 years ago), I am still subconciously (I think) attaching anxiety to having this condition.

i am beginning to believe that the 2- anxiety and hypothyroidism (for me) are not related (since I had anxiety before being diagnosed and have lowered my medication and feel slightly worse- fatigued, etc).

But boy, do I surf the web like everyone here with these aches, heart flutters, pains, etc.

As a matter of fact, I went with my wife to the pharmacist yesterday to renew her RX, and I began asking the pharmacist about my medication. It was a totally normal, 'peaceful'/ non-anxiety producing deal, but afterwards my heart palpatations returned throughout the night and I couldn't help but keep thinking on some level about this stuff.

And I had not had any of those problems for 2 days straight!

And I love these forums, because, I have frequent flyer miles on WebMD.

I Love you guys :)

Thanks for making this easier

CarolM

Post by CarolM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:30 am

I have wondered the same thing about myself. I was told by a doctor that stress is a great mimicer, it can take may forms and mimic physical problems. if your worried you can always start by talking to your family doc and they should be able to help you figure out your symptoms.

thirtysomething

Post by thirtysomething » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:12 pm

I can relate to all this too. Although I was never a hypochondriac that I can remember, I have always had anxiety / depression. And have gone through different degrees of this through the years. Over the last year I have been having physical symptoms related to anxiety although I am not sure. I have obsessesed and gone to the doctor. It is hard because if you don't feel well and it is something you have never had before it is scary. And you are supposed to get things checked out. I have been dianosed with IBS and GERD. Sometimes I have stomach pains and really wonder if something more could be wrong. And my chest pains don't feel like heartburn but apparently they are (according to my doctor)I had two spells a few weeks apart for about 4 days when I was tingly and slightly numb. This was very scary so told the doctor. She said since it was reaccuring to get a brain MRI. I have already reschedualed this once since I was going out of town. And I am supposed to go this Sat. I am just not sure what to do. This hasn't happen in about a month. But I do have slight pins and needles feeling that last for short amounts of time ( 5 min. to an hour) I am starting to think it may be related to anxiety plus I am nervous to get the MRI. I have already had blood and other tests for this. Should I get the MRI? How has anyone that had this test handled it? I was thinking about emailing the doctor and seeing what she said. Or just going . Like someone eles posted at least you would know nothing was wrong and not be scared in the future. Any advice?

JonesyAZ

Post by JonesyAZ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 am

This is a wonderful thread to read, because I have been told many times that I am a hypochondriac...lol.

I've already posted about this on another forum, but have any of y'all had burning arms, shoulders, but with little pain? Can stress cause that? It seems to get worse at night, or when I obsess about the symptoms. I've had it now for almost 2 months, and i'm just getting tired of dealing with it! I do a lot of computer work during the day, and I self-tested myself one day about "repetative strain injury", and it seems like I might have this, but my doctor has already diagnosed me with anxiety and has told me my symptoms are "somatic." Granted, my BP is normal, LDL is low, HDL is higher, and my pulse is usually between 65-72. Just need some additional advice, I guess. Thank y'all :)

newpint

Post by newpint » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 am

Well I believe I am a hypochondriac and going on the internet to look up symptoms and illness only fed my anxiety. (Made it worse) Yet I could not stop going online. It seems like everytime I would goggle something the first thing that would pop up is something related to cancer. Which is my fear of getting. I have tried to stop goggleing illness and symptoms and my anxiety has improved a little.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”