Headaches

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Holly J

Post by Holly J » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am

The past 5 days i have had headaches that dont seem to really go away. When i touch my head it feels sore and it hurts. my head feels so tense along with my chest and upper back. the headaches and pressure are usually the back of my head and sides. .. not so much the temples. . sometimes underneath my eyes. . this is really freaking me out. I made a dr app but its not till next week and i am worried i have a brain tumor. . i did have a flu last week so i dont know if its still lingering or the stress of me being sick is still lingering but i dont want to have to take tylenol all day. I remember a few months back i was getting headaches but they went away and than had new wonderful anxiety symptoms. . but now these headaches are here. . and it scares me more than it did last time. . i wake up in the morning with these head pains too. as if i woke uo with a head injury. The thing is the only thing that is causing my anxiety right now are my headaches. if they were gone i'd feel way better. anyone have this kind of head soreness, pressure headaches that lasted for days?? I do take ativan at night to help sleep and with my pain. . i dont know if the ativan is contributing too the headache? i dont know, doubt it.
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

getting thru this

Post by getting thru this » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:56 am

holly i use to have them for days and now it is off and on but one side of my head felt numb it is tension and stress the more you worry and get upset the worse it seem to get good luck dont worry (i know easier said than done )

sunbound

Post by sunbound » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:01 am

Have you been listening to the Relaxation session? I find that helps me reduce the stress. I also find that trying to massage my head and neck definitely help as well. If you don't know how to do that, perhaps getting a professional massage (preferrably by someone recommended from a trusted source) may help!

Best wishes!

DebbieW

Post by DebbieW » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 am

Hi Holly,

You might be having tension headaches, you can have them for months, especily if you have muscle tension in you neck and shoulders. I went through a battery of test last year, I thought it was my sinus, but after doing the CAT scan he determind that is was realted to my anxiety. I also clench my teeth at night which puts alot of tension on my neck,I were a night gaurd and it does help.

My headache's feel like someone is squeezing my head in a vice, I have alot of facial pressuer, which is why I thought it was my sinus. I also have alot of pain in my neck, that is were I hold all my tension.

He also said I am getting rebound headaches, which are from taking all the sinus meds.

I am sure you do not have a brain tumor but it is good idear to get it checked. It will put you mind at ease.

Feel better,

Debbie

fischee

Post by fischee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 am

Hi Holly,
I've had headaches my entire life (even as a little girl), but as I've gotten older they've progressively gotten worse- now I have the pleasure of migraines, too. From what it sounds like, you're experiencing tension headaches brought on by stress. My guess is that you're holding a lot of tension in your neck and sholders, and this can contribute to headaches (at least for me).

The reason why I don't believe you're haveing migraines is because there is an entire realm of symptoms that accompany them that you have not expressed.

I know you want to take tylenol to allieviate the pain, but beware as relying on it too frequently can cause "rebound" headaches (just make sure not to exceed the recommende dosage). You might also want to consider buying some Excederine Tension Headache- everyone I know who's tried it feels it works wonders. Even ibuprophian (sp) works weel and is less (supposidly) harsh on the stomach. Make sure you ALWAYS eat SOMETHING before taking either.

In addition to the OTC meds, what else can you do to relax and let the tension out of your muscles? What gives you a sense of peacefulness and brings you well-being? Maybe try soaking in a bath with relaxing music? Personally, I try to have a massage every other week (thankfully my insurance pays- though not for long). I know this can be $$$, but do you have a massage therapy school in your area? The schools around here charge about a 1/3 the price of a reg. massage- $25 and these "students" are graduating soon, so it's not as if they haven't properly learned the techniques.

Also, do you like to drink tea (chamamille- sp- is especially calming). I also drink a hot beverage right before bed called NaturalCalm; you can buy it at your local healthfood stores.

Lastly, one of the simplist solutions is drinking LOTS of water (min. of 80 oz. for 120 lbs. and an additional 16 oz. for every 20 lbs. over). When our muscles are tight, they contain lactic acid and staying hydarated helps keep our muscles more flexible and less likely to "hold" the lactic acid.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon!
fischee

Oh, how about using the Relaxation CD? I also like aromatherapy- lavender is good for stress relief. The essential oils are best (sometimes I rub a little on my temples), but you can also use candles, too. *I've also read the scent of MacIntosh Apples helps (sister-in-law swears by the Yankee Candle plug ins).

melshrooms

Post by melshrooms » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

I had unexplained headaches for years. They started after I returned from a deployment to Iraq. I swore I had a tumor in my head or neck. I even thought I found a lump in my neck (which the drs said was part of my spine and was completely normal-what do they know?!) I was constantly at the dr. All they wanted to do was give me different meds. I tried a variety: tylenol 3, vikaden, topamax, flexerol, ultram, and everything over the counter. None of it would touch my headache. I would sit with a belt around my head to help relieve the pressure. I may have looked like a fool, but it made it not hurt so much. The drs had me keep track of my headaches, activities, and what I ate/drank trying to find a connection. I kept track of this for a year. At one point I had a headache that lasted 16 days. I finally just learned to live with the pain and accepted it as being 'normal'. Whenever I would go to a new dr or dentist, the questionaire always asked if I had frequent headaches, to which I would mark YES! Finally, years after thinking there was no hope for me, a new dentist I went to actually read the questionaire and was spot-on for all my headache symptoms. Turns out, I was clenching my teeth/jaw ALL THE TIME!. He fitted me with an NTI to help stop the clenching. He said the headaches were caused by the clenching because the tight jaw muscles were sending tension into my head. He said the clenching was because my teeth weren't aligned and by clenching I would press the uneven teeth into my jaw. One my jaw muscles were able to be relaxed with the aid of the NTI, I would see him weekly to have him file away at my teeth a little bit at a time until they were all in alignment. This is supposed to stop the clenching, and stop the headaches. It stopped the headaches temporarily (because in my head it all seemed to make sense so I believed it). But the headaches have returned, the clenching has returned, and my teeth continue to move around and are never in alignment. I went from having straight teeth to possibly needing braces. But why would I spend the money on braces if I'm going to keep clenching and moving my teeth around?! On top of all of this, I have back and neck pains. I have been to the drs numerous times and they swear I'm as healthy as a horse. If that's the case, then why do I have all these problems?! The say 'oh, it's caused by stress.' Like that's something I can just throw out with the weekly trash. I wish it were that easy!

happy faces

Post by happy faces » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:53 am

I would suggest that you see an oral surgeon I have virtually the same thing that you do...clenching of the teeth ....pain in jaw that causes headaches although mine is not as severe as yours. I have made an appt with an oral surgeon and they are discussing surgery for TMJ TO REPAIR a disk problem I have in my jaw

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 am

I've had every kind of headache in the book but I won't try to diagnos yours. I'll just say that tylenol causes rebound headaches so you might want to try some Alleve or aspirin.
I am doing better now and take a triptan from the neurologist called Relpax. I had had success with another called Maxalt. I take a muscle relaxer at night and also get botox injections in the shoulders, neck, back of the head and scalp and around my temples over the top of my eyebrows to the middle of my head.
I used to have headches that lasted days at a time and went to an urgent care facility when necessary to get a shot- don't know what they were called because I haven't needed one in 4 years now, but you do have to have someone with you to drive you home. Thought that might give you relief immediately instead of keeping the headache til your appt. Good luck!
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”