LASIK worries

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by 4202 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:27 am

Hi
Has anybody out there had LASIK? I am a worrier and even though my vision is 20/20 and my eyes healed great I am afraid someday I will go blind because of it. I was just wondering if anybody else worried about stupid things like that as much as I do! Which is ALL the time!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Lasik worries,
I am a certified paraoptometric for an optometric clinic and I do pre and post Lasik care all day long. I totally understand your worry about something going wrong down the road, I have a fear of that myself, so much so that I was all set up to do the surgery and backed out.

I see several patients a day who had lasik 10 or 15 years ago and the worst thing that has happened is that they may need some reading glasses for close up reading as they age. There are no studies that I know of that anything has gone wrong down the road because of Lasik. I hope this helps! Maybe I can talk myself into getting it done soon!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:35 am

Thank you so much, I'm glad you answered my post rather then somebody who doesn't know anything about the procedure. I am actualy glad I had it done, I wore glasses for distance (driving/TV) then my regular eye Dr. told me that I should start to wear them all the time and I was like NO WAY! I hated wearing them, my ears are off center so my glasses were always crooked and if I would sweat they would slide off my nose, plus when I walked around in them and looked down at my feet I would lose my balance. I also had astigmatism and asked about contacts (I HATE touching my eyes) and I figured I could get the really soft ones that you can barely feel. Of course not, my eye Dr. said I would need the more expensive hard contacts. that was when I really looked into LASIK. The only problem I still have is slight dry eye that sometimes effects my vision, that and my constant worry of someday going blind since there is no long term data on LASIK. But your post did help ease my fears. Thank you so much, and I would actually recommend having it done (if you won't worry about the future as much as I do)
My new quote to live by is "Don't worry until you have something to worry about"

keithjoy

Post by keithjoy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:33 am

I believed that your experiencing nearsightedtedness right now, well just a piece of advice try to go to a doctor for proper medication before it will develop uncomfty effects. Early last year I undergo Lasik surgery for my astigmatism, my friend recommend me for Lasik exam in <A HREF="http://www.my2020.com" TARGET=_blank>my2020</A> have you heard that? The exam includes a complete evaluation of the internal and external health of the eyes. They create a detailed map of the eyes and perform all of the visual tests necessary to prepare for LASIK. And the nice thing with Lasik-1 is they use the latest, most advanced technology to thoroughly determine your eligibility for LASIK. I don’t know if you already heard a Dr. Stephen B. Wiles, he is one of the surgeons and I can say one of the best in the world. Anyway just try to have a schedule exam for a FREE VIP LASIK your first step in achieving improved vision. Hope that one help you. Good luck…

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:28 pm

4202 - THANK YOU for posting this.

I wore glasses since the age of 7 and my parents always made it like I was handicapped. The kids at school picked on my glasses for a long time, until I beat them up and thus breaking my glasses and getting beat up by my Dad at home.

I had Lasik 10 years ago and freaked out after the procedure. In fact I CONTEMPLATED SUICIDE.

Here is what happened - The procedure hurt like hell. I was then blind for 6 hours. The next day, my eyesight cleared up and I could see without my glasses. The trouble was, I was corrected to 20/30. Then the panic took over. I obsessed about my night vision. I had daily regrets and I missed my glasses. I thought I ruined my life. Everyone, including my wife and parents, started saying I was nuts. I saw a psychiatrist and he told me I was obsessive compulsive and manic-depressive. I then had your worries about future blindness etc. I was at a low point in my life.

Then I was introduced to a new psychiatrist who has been giving me levelheaded advice since. He realized the problems went beyond my Lasik worries and put my on a mild drug regimen. In months I made a comeback. I wore glasses at night but was finally pissed enough to confront the head of Ophthalmology at Northwestern University. I was brought in and another surgery corrected me to 20/15. I still worried about halos and night vision though. Then, I realized, I had no idea what I as seeing when I wore the contacts and glasses. I finally was fine with my decision after almost 2 years.

Recently, I started to worry my eyes were going. I had them checked and I am 20/20. I get dry eye but it goes away. My anxiety and obsession started coming back, thus I am here.

The bottom line is. My eyes are fine after 10 years and some struggles. My problems come from my anxiety.

You will be fine. Especially after managing the anxiety.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:11 am

I had Lasik in Aug 07. It was one of the best things I have ever done!! I love it!! I have worn contacts/glasses for 20 years and now I am seeing 20/20.

Don't worry, it's a painfree, easy procedure.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”