Epstein Barr Virus

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
JNB

Post by JNB » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 am

Sunnie,
I became sick in 2002 with symptoms of EBV and and a few other diseases. I went from one doc to another. One telling me it was EBV another saying it was CFS. I was scared and had no clue what it was, but felt like I was dying. I was extremely fatigued,terrible joint pain, low grade fever, headaches( not severe)and highly sensitive to sun and lights and a rash ( dry patch like) on my cheeks and bridge of nose. After worrying and settling to the fact that I had EBV I went to a infectious disease doc who told me it was an autoimmune disease. After two years of going to doc's I was finally diagnosed with LUPUS. It has a lot of the same symptoms so, please get tested for that if you haven't already. God bless and don't be scared it's just a change of life, not the end of it. You'll make it through either way, I did, it just takes time and adjustment.

Beth

SedonaSkies

Post by SedonaSkies » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with Chronic EBS after months of terrible fatigue, low grade fevers, joint pain, etc. I had mono as a child and things are starting to make sense now. I would also be interested in joining a support group, at least to find out what herbs/vitamins we can take to alleviate our symptoms!

Patti

Ms Ellie

Post by Ms Ellie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:36 am

I was diagnosed with EBV back in 1994. I went from doctor to doctor before one would actually say that I did have EBV. I went to a holistic doctor near my house and had IVs of vitamins and vitamin B12 shots. All the IV vitamins helped my immune system and eventually I felt better. But it still took six months before I really felt like myself. Hang in there and get lots of rest, too.

sunnie

Post by sunnie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi
Wondering if anyone experiences throat pain or gland pain on the neck. I do and I wonder if that is a symptom. Also, does anyone take meds for anxiety and find they make your symptoms worse? Like feeling more tired or weight gain.
Thanks, Sunnie

Turtleshoes

Post by Turtleshoes » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:25 pm

I have EBV and not sure where or when I got it. About 14 years ago I became very sick with it. I wasn't kissing anyone either! I remember swimming for physical therapy and accidentally swallowing some pool water. That could have done it, I guess. You do need lots of rest and you do recover. Sometimes you can recover quite quickly with plenty of nurturing and rest and sometimes it takes longer. It took me quite awhile but I've seen others recover within a few months. The key is a lot of rest and relaxation and lots of sleep. A lot of people feel like sleeping a lot when they have this type of mono but I couldn't sleep with it.

It just goes to show we are all different.

About 80% of the population has been infected with the virus so you are not alone.

Turtleshoes

Post by Turtleshoes » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:29 pm

I forgot to mention, yes, throat pain and gland pain is the most common symptom along with fatigue.

Most people don't even know that they have it because they got it when they were young. It stays with you forever, the virus, but not the symptoms. It's not like some severe incurable cancer. It's just a virus that will always show up in your system. You will produce antibodies for it and get well even if it still shows up. No worries. Just get lots of rest and eat right. :)

HonorInHonesty

Post by HonorInHonesty » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Most of the population will be infected with this virus statistically speaking, however, only some of that (far less) total come down with mononucleosis from it. Usually the course which happens is that at some point we all get infected with EBV, it's very common, in some people it will manifest as mono, and once it does that it is possible to actually replase even after the mono is gone which is when the EBV is considered active. Further there is a correlation between food poisoning and getting mono. later down the road which is what happened to me.

LeeAnn Sanzo

Post by LeeAnn Sanzo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Hello, I was told years ago that I came in contact with the Ebstein Barr virus and that I had chronic fatigue, then a different doctor in the same practice told me he didn't believe in any of that stuff..I still feel achy all the time and tired and also I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis..I'm so afraid of medications because I've had really bad side effects for anxiety medications..my doctor gave me a medication for the rheumatoid arthritis and the list of side effects scared me so much..I would rather try something natural..is there any natural topical gels that could help and does exercise help anyone ..because alot of time I'm too tired to even exercise..but if I knew it would help..I'd push myself.
marie123

gfe

Post by gfe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 am

My Mom is also diagnosed with this for over 15 years, and is also looking for a support group. She lives in Long Island, NY. Any suggestions on live support groups would be appreciated.

Loo Loo

Post by Loo Loo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 am

Has anybody else shared the experience of having a batch of blood tests done by the DR & everything has come back within normal limits EXCEPT a EPV blood result indicating a PAST infection with Epstein Barr, yet I currently have the symptoms of malaise, low grade body aches etc...where to go from here? As far as the Dr is concerned, my results are within normal limits. I don't know the exact levels of Epstein Barr, just that it indicated a previous infection??

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”