need encouragement basal cell carcinoma

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:22 am

I could use some encouragement right now. Last week I had a biopsy of a small spot on my nose that came back as a basal cell cancer. I am 41 and for a couple of years have seen a dermatologist for yearly skin checks (after a friend my age had a borderline melanoma). I realize that if you are going to get cancer, this is probably the best one to have. The surgery has nearly 100% cure rate and it doesn't metasticize. But I also realize that I have a 50% chance of another skin cancer cropping up within 5 years. Now I am very worried about "what if the next one is melanoma?" or "What if I have cancer somewhere else in my body because I've been a stress case most of my life?" There is also a very dark mole on my 8-year-old son's neck and I showed the Dr. a picture and she wants to look at it when I get my stitches out. So now I am worried about what if he needs a biopsy and what if he has cancer. And should I try to find a pediatric dermatologist or would my doctor be just as good?

I love the the program program, and have done really well with it and an SSRI. I am down to half my original dose of SSRI (I only make a step down every few months because the adjustments are hard for me, and wouldn't you know it I made a step down the week before my biopsy. Bad timing but I decided to stick with it and try to ride it out). I am very good at talking myself out of unfounded scary thoughts, but now I have a real issue, and am finding it more difficult to reassure myself. The surgery itself doesn't worry me much, and there will be a plastic surgeon to do the repair. I am sure that will be no fun, but I am more worried about labeling myself with this diagnosis now, and what it means for the future.

If anyone has some encouragement (and please keep horror stories to yourself!), I would really appreciate it.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 am

(((((sleeplessMom)))))

Please take heart in knowing that my sister has had 3 moles removed that were malenoma and is doing fine after 2 years and counting. My Mom had 1 mole that was also malenoma and that was 3 years ago. All is well. :)

If something is caught early enough the results are almost always good. :D

My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Best of luck,
God Bless.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 am

monty's mom:
Thanks for your prayers and encouragement. I will keep that in mind, especially as I await the results from the second biopsy. Even if that one comes back melanoma...I can be hopeful for the best outcome. With a yearly skin check which most people do not do, it has to be caught early!

Partly it was the way my dermatologist gave me the news: "Are you sitting down? Do you have someone with you?" My heart stopped; I thought this is it! I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I'm not sure why she did that...a couple of people have told me a basal cell is next to nothing! Maybe I'll listen to them instead :)

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm

(((Hug))) As someone who has cancer-phobia, I have done a lot of pointless research. Basal cell does sound like a much lesser evil. Not to diminish your diagnosis, but I am confident that you will be just fine, and so will your little boy. You are both in my prayers and thoughts. Good thoughts are being sent your way!!! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:20 pm

I can really relate to how you feel. I am 24 and when I was 20 I was having issues and was told to see a gastrologist for my colon. I was thinking no way I am only 20. Well I had to have a colonoscopy and they found a 2.5 cm polyp. It is the kind that will turn into cancer so I have to go back yearly to have colonoscopy and have them removed. 3 months after that they found cancer cells in my cervix and had surgery to remove them. I sometimes get down and wonder if it is inevitable for me to get cancer. But that is when I need to be thankful that everything was found so soon that we now know to be aware of the issue and take care of it. Be thankful it was something you can operate on and take care of. You will be fine and now you are aware to be careful and take care of it. Thank goodness they caught everything early.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:22 pm

hi,
being a cancer survivor since march 2004.I know how you feel.that word scares all of us.but if yo only have it on your nose and the dr checked and did not see any more.then if you are still wrried about later getting it some place else let him set you up for a its like an mri but they inject dye in your vein and it will show if there is any other place that needs attention.that did it forme and they found all on my face and over my left ear and inside my ear.I was very bessed to not have to hve rad or chemo.take care and hope that helps.know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and God Bless.
don

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks for all your support. I hoped I would have the results of my other biopsies today, but they didn't call.

BTTRFLY: Feel free to minimize my diagnosis!! Every time someone says "oh that's nothing", it makes me feel better!

Naustin: You are very strong to have gone through that at such a young age. Medicine can really do wonders, and you are right -- I suppose sometimes the best we can hope for is to catch it early. There is no way I can take back any of the sun exposure I have already suffered, so there are some things I will just have to accept and live with the risk.

*D*: I will ask my doctor about the dye thing. I feel lucky that I live within 15 miles of two major medical research institutions, so there is no lack of good care where I am. My dermatologist comes highly recommended, so I have to trust that she wouldn't miss anything.

I decided to call my pediatrician to see what she thought about my son. I am glad I did because she said they frequently refer to my own dermatologist, and just to let her look at his neck. She said melanoma is very, very rare in a child his age...that basically I should get it looked at but don't worry about it.

Thanks for your encouragement, thoughts, and prayers. I'll let you know when I hear about my other biopsy.

Boon

Post by Boon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:02 am

sleeplessmom,
sorry that I could not remember the word last night that I wanted to use.its called a scat scan.it does not take long for them to do and it was quite funny when the tech told me that when the dye gets to my lower part I would feel a warm feeling.lol.not to worry I did not wet yself. and when it got there I thought I ad hee hee hee.just trying to make a funny. :D there were some funny times that i had in the mist of all the surgery.some tim I will share it with all of you lol.it made me feelgood to be able to laugh when I should have cried. God is good.be blessed.
don
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

fischee

Post by fischee » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:06 am

Hi all,

I really appreciate the views and the concerns raised. I am wondering more about your mental state. I see a lot of what if thinking that only leads to more what if thinking that then churns up more fear.

I have a question for you: What if, all of these what ifs you are raising are all disproved. Wouldn't that be a great thing?

Your thought processes are all leading you down a negative path that only feeds more worry.

At the time of this writing, I have not seen you post that test results were this or that. Manage your worries and concerns by facts, not negative speculation, and you will better off.

The simple answer is to change your thoughts. Remind yourself that they are only thoughts, take hold of the program flash cards read and apply the strategies on the tools you have at your disposal. Review sessions 2 and 3 to help you reinforce the guidance you have and act accordingly.

I do empathize with your situation, but all the worrying in the world about stuff you do not know for sure is not going to help you get better. In fact, it will hurt you mentally. In fact, you have been expending a lot of mental energy on things you do not know for sure.

I will pray for good outcomes on your tests, and that this posts helps you to do the things you know or have learned to do. If you have not learned these tings, I gave you the direction or pointer/guidance to put you on the fast track.

May God bless you and relieve you of all the stress you are suffering, and that the tests prove that this is all needless worry. Barring a good test outcome, I pray for a complete healing and allaying of all thee fears.

TC

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Gman:
Good point. Just because I had one bad result from a biopsy, doesn't immediately give me permission to "what if" the rest of my fears. And it certainly doesn't mean that more bad things are on the way.

I heard late this afternoon reasonably good news - I guess - it's all relative. The mole on my arm was only slightly atypical and no further treatment is needed. So that is good. The spot on my nose (next to where they found the basal cell cancer) is precancerous, and they will treat this with chemotherapy cream once my surgery is done. If that had been the initial news, I probably would have been upset, but following a basal cell diagnosis, I guess it is a good thing! I have an appointment Monday morning for the dermatologist to look at my son.

Thank you for the reminders to use what I know and practice so frequently. I don't know what will happen Monday morning. I am glad we are checking it out, and I will do my best to imagine the best possible outcomes.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”