headaches

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Irish Lion

Post by Irish Lion » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:05 am

Hi, I had headaches for quite a while until I found out I was clenching my teeth all night and that was the cause of my headaches. Good luck in search of their cause.

irisheyes

Post by irisheyes » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Christine =

I hope your headaches have gone away by now, but if not you might consider trying Excedrin Migraine formula. I find that when I get horrible headaches (which are not unusual for me), I can take two tablets and the headache is completely gone in 20 minutes. A warning: they do contain caffeine, which is very effective for headaches. The downside is, of course, that we're all wanting to eliminate caffeine and other stimulants. Still, for me at least, it's worth an occasional small dose of caffeine to get relief and be able to function again. If you try it, you must not take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours or you could suffer rebound headaches - you definitely don't want that! Anyway, all the best to you and I hope your headaches go away soon.

fischee

Post by fischee » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi Christine,

As a chronic headache and migraine sufferer myself, I completley agree with Beverly; it does sound like a migraine (especially since it's lasted so long). I'm also surprised you GP didn't give you anything.

I use Rx meds for my migraines, but it also helps to lay in a cool, dark room with a VERY cold pack (I keep one in the freezer) right at the base of my head / very top of my neck. Since migraines are vascular, this has been proven to work because this is where all the "migraine transmitters" are.

I also know that some scents are helpful in lessening the effects of headaches / migraines- lavender is really good for relaxation and I've used a peppermint based ointment on my temples. You could probably search the web for aromatherapy to find more info.

I also get massages a couple times a month because my shoulders become so tense and this causes headaches for me. I know this is $$, but thankfully, my insurance covers it. However, there are some really great products by Homedics that work well, too.

Lastly, if you choose to look into the aromatherapy, you might also seach pressure points (acupuncture / acupressure). I know there is a pressure point in the fleshy area between your thumb and your pointer finger. If you squeeze firmly in this spot, it does lessen a headache.

Hope this helps a little. Keep searching, there is NO reason to suffer like this.

Blessings to you,
fischee

AnnieG

Post by AnnieG » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:10 pm

I never thought I'd see the day when I said that I wish I had a panic attack 24/7 than to have a migraine. But that day has come. I've had two migraines this week, and I'm now living in constant fear that I'll have another one.

My migraines used to be sporadic, but now I'm having them monthly, and this week I had two, so I'm really beside myself. I've kept a headache journal trying to pinpoint my triggers. So far, no luck. I'm going to the doctor on Monday for my yearly physical and I'm going to ask about a daily med for migraines. I hate living in fear of my next one. I can usually handle the headache - it's the aura beforehand that freaks me out. I teach, so I really need to get a handle on this.
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

bevhembree

Post by bevhembree » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 pm

I had migraines for years and they were stress related- I can see that now, but couldn't then.

They have really good triptans out there. I sill have Frova to take for my time of the month. Topamax helped, but hurt my overall cognitive ability and I had memory problems with it. My Brother in law took it once, went into Walmart and didn't know what to do. It's one of those where you weigh the consequences, but I was desparate for relief, living in pain more than not.
Let us know how the doc's appt goes.
P.S. I have Dolgic which relieves the stress portion of the migraine where the neck and shoulders tense up. It works wonders, but has caffeine, so I don't take it at night. Good luck!
"Here and happy because of my three little angels- Marie, Chad and Cady."

sessy1978

Post by sessy1978 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am

Originally posted by christinepsc:
I have had a headache for about 10 days now. It just won't go away. I am not one to get headaches. It is scaring me. My GP says it is stress. I feel like it is a tumor. I am scared :(
did you ever find out what was wrong? did they finally go away? i am having the same thing right now and i will tell you what .... i am hurting so bad but a ct scan 4 weeks ago said i am fine but i have been hurting for 4 days now.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:44 pm

I think fischee has great advice about migraines.

My migraines were absolutely stress related. I sat in the Emergency Room one day back in 2007 for 6 hours waiting for help. Since I was not dying or bleeding to death, I was low on the triage list. When I finally got to see a doctor I received a catscan and then I received a
variety of migraine headache drugs. Not too long after I received those liquid drugs, I was sent home.

Lynda

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”