Type 1 Diabetes and Emotional Eating -anxiete depression etc.

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Gracie Mae

Post by Gracie Mae » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:01 am

I have not seen an actual title for a eating disorder of this nature, but i certinally have it. the self abuse that i inflict on my body is just overwhelming. used to drink and smoke to try and cope, over 12 years have passed being free of those addictions. my old friend cake and cookies and so on have replaced them as a way to cope. clearly not working. anxiety adn depression are worse not better, diabetes is worse... like a self abusing cycle of pain. suggestions? this is helping some, i m only at the beginning.

Jedi Master Iris

Post by Jedi Master Iris » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi Gracie Mae~

I can't say that I have any suggestions. But if it helps to know that you are not alone, let me tell you that you are not. I have had anxiety and depression since I was a little girl. Each time I go through a big cycle, I eat. I went through a phase of drinking too.

I have been taking notes lately though and realize that when I find myself in an anxious or depressed position, I am usually tired and worn out. Well, since I still have a daughter at home and a home-based job, I reach for sugar and carbs. I have so got to stop that. That, I am hoping is the culprit, the culprit that I hope to stop one day soon.

I don't know if this helps or is even close to how you feel, but I hope you know that I care about what you are going through.

swillowness

Post by swillowness » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm

It really just sounds like you're wanting comfort, and what's more comforting than food? ;)

I know that my aunt, who had severe anxiety/depression, used to "self medicate" with alcohol. I would go through the program and maybe try healthy foods when you don't feel good. Try fruits, vegetables, and even rice if you like them. I know I feel a lot better after having some frozen blueberries. Eating healthy will also help your diabetes (trust me, I know! I've had it for 11 years!). Exercise and refocus. It's very very hard, but it's helpful.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody.
Help! I know I need someone. Heeeeelp!

sandrakay

Post by sandrakay » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm

This is why I signed up for this program. I have had diabetes type 1 since age 10 which was 44 years ago, depression since at least age 7, anxiety forever but just realize when watching Lucinda's tapes that was what it was and I eat, eat, eat which is terrible for everything I have. My therapist is working with me to do some mirror talk and tell myself that I love me and am going to take care of me and that I respect myself enough to make good food choices. Plus she said to check into adrenal fatigue which might explain the tiredness. There are so many things wrong it is hard to know where to start. So with this program I am hoping to at least get my mind and body to allow me to research the symptoms and I need a new doctor to check me out. Perhaps we can all keep each other going until we reach a place of healing and peace.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”