environmental medicine

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
purpmartin

Post by purpmartin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:25 am

Hello,

Has anybody else out there been to an environmental medicine clinic? I went to one about two months ago, and the experience was positive all around. :)

For over twenty-one YEARS now I've been trying to find out why I'm always tired out, etc. :(Since Jan. 2007 I'd also been getting more and more sensitive to "fragrances", chemical fumes, and such. It was getting worse and worse, and I wasn't about to wait until I got to be the desperate sort of case who went into life-threatening reactions at the slightest hint of a chemical.

The doctor ran some tests on me that I don't remember ever having done before. It turns out that some of my neurotransmitters are out of balance. I had very low magnesium levels. My iodine excretion rate was also low, which the doctor says means I need iodine supplementation.

On an aside, a doctor I saw in 2006 thought I was hypothyroid because my temperature was running low. He tried me on Armour Thyroid, but all it did was to make my blood pressure go up, and make me feel tense and edgy. About a year later, I went to an endocrinologist who said he could find nothing wrong with my thyroid. Now is seems that something IS wrong, but I still am not sure just what it is :?.

I have higher levels than the doctor likes to see of aluminum (EEK!! :eek:Alzheimer's!), cadmium, and lead; plus, I tested high for seven chemicals that are components of benzene, paraben, styrene, and xylene.

So here I am taking a lot of supplements such as enzymes, magnesium, etc. For the sensitivities, I have some antigens (taken sublingually) to use, to try to reduce my reactions. It's expensive :eek:, and I doubt that health insurance will cover any of the cost of these things; but continuing to drag along is expensive in its own way.

I was given the antigens before I left the clinic (which is in another state), but the lab test results weren't in for about a month. I had a follow-up consultation by phone with the doctor, and he told me what I needed to take. Then I had to have the supplements shipped to me, and they arrived only yesterday.

Today I feel funny in the head, sort of dizzy and a bit dazed. It may be from all those new things in my system; or tag ends of a nasty cold I'm just getting over; or maybe my blood pressure has taken a nose dive again (which it sometimes does). But I decided this is worth a try. At least I do have some savings I can use for it :)

I could go on, but I have to get back to work.

purpmartin

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:35 am

I was reading this booklet today on Candida and yeast infections by Don Colbert, MD. It had a questionaire to see if this could be your problem. one of the questions had to do with sensitivities to perfumes, insecticides, fabric shop or other chemicals provoking symptoms in you. Other questions have to do with previous and long term antibiotic use, having consistant prostatitis or vaginites or other problems affecting reproductive organs. Also questions about pregnancies, use of birth control, prednisone or other cortisone type drugs. IF your symptoms are worse on damp muggy days or in moldy places. If you have had athletes foot , ringworm, jock itch or other chronic skin or nail infections. It asks "Do you crave breads, sugars, alcololic beverages?" It also asks about whether or not tobaco smoke bothers you. Any way if you score high it is likely that you have a problem with too much yeast in your body, and how to help it. Just a thought, you never know.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:28 am

Hi, Elizabeth J,

Thanks for the input. I don't seem to have a yeast problem, though. My score on the Roma II quiz was low.

I do notice things like "fragrances" and tobacco smoke more on very humid days (the climate in N.O. is humid, period), probably because the humidity keeps them from dissipating easily.

As to desire for sweets, I've always had that, big-time. It seems to be heriditary. My father had quite a sweet tooth, as did his mother.

Well, I'd better get back to work here.

purmartin

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:53 am

This was posted awhile back but, I, too, am going to an environmental center. I've had alot of the same testing & am currently on immunotherapy injections as well as many supplements, thyroid med & candida anti-fungals. It's been a long process for me but I do feel better than prior. I think it's the best way to get to the cause of the problem, whatever they may be. They uncovered things I never suspected. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 am

Hi, peggster58,

I hope the environmental clinic helps you. I do feel somewhat better now; I'm not as dragged down as I had been for years. An unexpected result of all this supplementation is that my noise sensitivity isn't nearly as horrible as it was. I also seem to be sleeping better.

I do hope, though, that all this stuff doesn't have to go on for too long. After all, it costs over $15 per day :eek:! I'd become interested in tightwaddery even before I went to the clinic, and $15-a-day treatment runs dead against being a tightwad. I'm trying to be a tightwad in other ways, e.g. making sandwich spread from dry beans (not difficult, really :)) instead of buying a pack of turkey bologna @$3.99.

puurpmartin

Herbalist Mom

Post by Herbalist Mom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm

how does one find an environmental clinic? and can it take care of most things wrong with us?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am

sandrakay,

I did a Google search for "environmental medicine". The one I wound up visiting is in Portland, OR. They did a physical exam and lab work, some of which nobody had done before.

I'm now on a detox program to rid my body of various environmental pollutants. Unfortunately it's very expensive (over $15 per DAY :eek:), and my health insurance doesn't cover it. I would be nice if the IRS gave me a tax break for it, but I can't count on that ;).

The minerals (e.g. magnesium) are to help get rid of heavy metals. The vitamins and enzymes are to boost my enzyme system and balance neurotransmitters. I began the treatment about two months ago, and I'm not as worn out as I was; I seem to sleep somewhat better; and my hyperacusis isn't nearly as bad now. What a relief that is :).

The reason I went to an "EM" clinic was, I was getting more and more sensitive to "fragrances", fumes from cleaning chemicals (which I don't use at home), etc. I knew something was wrong, and I wasn't about to wait until my case became desperate.

Good luck.

purpmartin

epa

Post by epa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 pm

I have this sensitivity..let me know how things work out for you!
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Celion

Post by Celion » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Thank you Purpmartin. I will see what I can find. It sounds much more hopeful than the average medical treatments which relies on putting more drugs in your system. However, I am in the Florida panhandle and do not think Portland, Oregon will be a place for me to visit-ha ha.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”