Hypoglycemia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:07 am

Drg,
Hubby had MANY tests...CBC (complete blood count), CMP (complete metobolic profile), lipids, Clostridum Toxin test, Giardia Lamblia, Chemical Profile, TSHP/WBC and general health panel, urinalysis, 2 & 16 hydroxyesterone, Vitman D 25 hydroxy, ferritin, iron serum, Lactate dehydrogenase, phosphorus inorganic(phosphate), uric acid, total iron binding capacity, Insulin, Thyroid, Cortisol, DHEA serum, occult blood, metal toxicity and THAT is about it, thus far. He had this panel of stuff done in the begining of September and NOTHING. :( We hope this new diet from Dr. Mercola (mercola.com) will help this. The MD he/we see at Mercola's clinic seems to think it will, so we are extremely hopeful. I think you are right on with the blood sugar thing. My husband has a HUGE adversion to needles and would not do the blood draw throughout the day thing. Thank goodness some of the above tests were saliva, stool, urine samples. My husband changed his diet according to Mercola's suggestions and hubby said he ate lunch at 1pm and noticed a "dip" as he felt tired, so he grabbed a Lara bar and within a half hour, he was back to feeling awake again.

I hope your son will get answers. I know this is very frustrating to deal with. Please let me know. I will have him in my thoughts and prayers.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Schnauzermom--Wow! What a bunch of tests!! Most of them I've never heard of before. I sure wish that they had been able to come up with some answers for him out of them all. Very discouraging, I'm sure.

What I keep getting told, for now, and it seems to be working somewhat for William, is to follow a high-protein diet, avoid carbs and sugars and eat six times a day. Also, to keep a little sugar around in case the blood sugar drops too low. Biggest thing is to eat breakfast, even though most times you don't feel like it.

Good luck and more!

Debbie

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:13 pm

drg,

LOL! The tests I am not even sure what they all are for either!

YES! Today, my husband voiced his concerns again now with the dietician at Mercola's clinic. She told him his sugar level drops, so he needs a MASSIVE amount of protien for breakfast and for lunch, even fish and red meat (organic only) for breakfast. (I could NOT do that, too heavy!)Hubby can have carbs, but they need to be vegi or fruit only. He also is steering clear of grains and sugar that is not fruit sugar found naturally. We shall see how he fairs out. I hope this also works for William. :)

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Schnauzermom...I'm very confused now, too. I took my son to an endocrinologist this afternoon. Long visit. Lots of questions. They drew blood. Talked about all kinds of tests and different possible diagnoses. The doctor told us that William can't have hypoglycemia--that hypoglycemia isn't something you can have. It's a side-effect of something else. I really wonder if the root of his problem is anxiety. Anyway, the doctor was going to put him through a bunch of tests. So, we'll see what happens. I'll let you know when I find out anything. Take care.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 am

drg,

I know! My husband has been dealing with this since he was a kid. he is 45 now. Some of he MD's said it was stress, others were clueless, others said for him to come in when it happens but how can you? When it happens, he basically gets the head bobs and then he is out until I poke him one or he hears the gravel and feels the bumps. One MD thought he had that disorder (forgot the name) where people just "fall asleep" on the spot, but it does not happen all the time. What my husband has found a pattern of is...

1) If he is sitting for long periods of time, either at work or driving, it happens.
2) If he skips meals, it happens.

On Wednesday, my husband INCREASED his protien intake. He started to take skinless, boneless, no breading chicken tenders. (I season with garlic, olive oil.) When he starts to feel like he is going to "nod off", he eats 1-2 chicken tenders and he has noticed he is back to normal again within a half hour! He also started to include MORE protien in his breakfast (2 raw eggs in an egg nog shake which is rice milk, the egg, cinnamon, nutmeg blended, 2 eggs scrambled with veggies, 3-4 chicken or turkey sausage links or a slab of ham and a veggie juice) and lunch is a veggie juice, salad and chicken, turkey, or steak. Dinner is a veggie juice, salad, a fowl or fish protien with 1 veggie. He states he has noticed an improved difference. He says he feel more "with it" and is not getting foggy headed and wanting to nod off. The nutrition plan he is following is at <A HREF="http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index.htm</A> and it is the "Protien Type". Maybe a nutritionist that is familiar with the METOBOLIC PROFILING TYPE can help him divise a diet plan that may help him. He also has a book about this diet, maybe you can check it out from the library. I hope this helps. Please keep us updated how William is progessing.
Take care! Liz

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Originally posted by drg:
Well, it's been a few months since my son's diagnosis and I'm not sure what to think. For a little while he was doing better. But, the last week or so he's gone backwords. Even though he's trying to follow the high-protein diet and trying to cut down on sugars and carbs, he's back to feeling really bad. We went on a trip to Texas over the weekend to buy a car from his brother. We made it back to Missouri, but not home. My son passed out behind the wheel and totalled the Mustang that he had just gotten the evening before. Luckily, nobody else was involved in the wreck and he wasn't hurt. Both of my sons and I are very unhappy about the loss of the car. But, I'm thanking the Lord like crazy that my son is still alive. The wreck occurred on a very busy interstate at 10:45am on Monday. Lots of traffic. He hit the guardrail on the right side of the road and spun across two lanes of traffic and ended up sideways in the median. I saw it in my rearview mirror. Talk about a sickening sight! I was SO HAPPY to see him get out and walk around. Anyway, I have contacted an endocrinologist and am going to try and get him some help with his health.

Has anyone else had a problem with passing out from hypoglycemia?

Take care everybody!

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:05 pm

dear drg, yes I had blacked out back in 1998 thats when I found out when I had low sugar. It
bottomed right out. It was the most scariest experience that I had ever had other than my panic attacks. I was blacked out for so long, don't know how long I was out for. Was out while
waiting for ambuance to get me, the ride there was out. Woke up in hospital dont remember alot
keeped blacking in and out pretty much the whole time. Didn't think I was going to survive
that one. I thank my lucky Stars and God Im still here. It was too scarey. I've came close to passing out alot of times since but thank god I had taking measures and took control of the situations. I tell you its not fun having Hypoglycemia. I don't wish it on anyone. I've had it now for 9 years.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 am

DRG,

My husband has been onthis diet and he has had 2 episodes, one the week before and another this past week. (he did not tell me!) He is seeing the MD today, but not sure what wil happen. I think we will just have to invest in a glucose monitor, keep steady readings and also do a reading when he is in midst of a blackout episode. He is not keen on pricking himself, so I need to work on that with him. We shall see what happens. Hope you are faring better with your son.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:04 am

Schnauzermom - we have chatted before on here and I had a question for you. I started zoloft in June after being off of it for seeral months. It worked fine for me at 100 in years past but since June I've only been on 50. I know you said before yours fizzled out after several weeks months. I'm almost at 5 months and have some breakthrough anxiety. I was thinking about asking my doc to go up. But when I went up to 100 before it really thre me for a loop. I think you went to 75 for a while, right? How did that do for you? I wonder if he would let me do that. Hope you are doing well!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi, Schnauzermom! I'm so sorry that your husband is still having these problems. Not good.

William went for the glucose monitoring test yesterday morning. He had been through a bunch of blood tests and a hormone test that all came back normal. The test from yesterday shows that his blood sugar levels go high very quickly and then drop rapidly, too. They didn't give us a name for what causes this. They told me, though, to keep him off of high-carbohydrate foods and to eat lots of small meals. He has an appointment in December to visit with a dietition for further details.

In the meantime, he has changed his diet some and is feeling better in some ways.

I hope that your husband can get some answers and some relief for both of you. Take care.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”