Hypoglycemia

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
drg

Post by drg » Mon May 28, 2007 9:11 am

My son, who is 17, was just diagnosed as having hypoglycemia. The doctor said that he needs to eat 6 times a day--3 meals and 3 snacks. These should be heavy on protein. My son is having a hard time trying to adjust to this. Basically, food just doesn't sound good to him. Apparently he's had this for awhile and I didn't know it. Anyway, I'm not sure what types of foods to make available to him--you know, that would be attractive to a teenager. We found out, also, that he should avoid simple sugars and caffiene. So, I'm thinking, basically, that he needs a diet similar to what I've been on to help with my anxiety. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post by Guest » Mon May 28, 2007 9:49 am

Hi drg,
I am hypoglycemic and eat as often as possible. I always carry snacks with me when I leave the house. My favorites are mixed nuts with raisens, sliced apples with peanut butter, peanut butter crackers, granola bars... and yes, he should stay away from simple sugars because of the rebound effect. I would suggest getting him some glucose tablets (sold at your local drug store). I carry them in my purse just in case I start feeling weak and dizzy and I don't have access to food. I just eat a sugar tablet and it gives me enough energy just until I can get real food. But make sure he understands that he has to eat something with nutritional content soon after the sugar tablet because if not, his sugar will drop again and it will be worse. It might be hard at first, especially given his age but with practice, he'll do fine.

RRLY11

Post by RRLY11 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:02 pm

Thank you, Celeste. I'm glad that you've found foods and habits that work for you. Thank you for sharing them with me. My son is having a little bit of trouble adjusting, but he is trying to do what the doctor ordered. So, I have to give him credit for that. For him, the biggie seems to be Slim Jims and beef jerky. Peanut butter and crackers work for him, too. He's WILLING to snack on these things. He's starting to get the hang of eating breakfast, too. He was skipping it or having a piece of candy. Not a good way to start the day. But, he's doing better. Thanks, again, for your help.

Post by Guest » Thu May 31, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi DRG,
I have terrible Hypo-attacks. Once they start, I have minutes to get some peanut butter and orange juice and then lay down. He needs to have snacks with fiber. I thought if I had a huge glass of OJ in the morning I would not have an attack. To the contrary, OJ rises your glucose and then drops it super-fast - The same problem with candy. He needs to eat something that will stay in his stomach a while. Eight tp ten almonds are recommended as a snack by my dietician.

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:17 pm

HI DRG,
I was diagnosied with hypoglycemia when I was 17 so I can relate with what your son is going through.I too wasn't a breakfast eater, and it took me about 3 years of continous headaches, dizzy spells, fogginess and spending alot of time at the doctors, when the doctor finally told me I can continue to take your money but until you realize that you are what you eat and you need to exercise daily did I make a change. I started running,and went on a high protein, low carb, low fat diet and I started feeling better. Three pm is my worst time of the day so I will eat a hard boiled egg or pnut butter with apples, cheese stick and apples, or a protein drink(little to no sugars),nuts, or yogurt with nuts, meat and cheese rolled up. It may help him to stay off white bread and refined sugars as much as possible. Eating breakfast is my main meall By eating six small meals a day you will keep your sugar up and feel better. Add some exercise on a consisitent basis and things may come around for him.

Ihope this helps.
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Well, it's been a few months since my son's diagnosis and I'm not sure what to think. For a little while he was doing better. But, the last week or so he's gone backwords. Even though he's trying to follow the high-protein diet and trying to cut down on sugars and carbs, he's back to feeling really bad. We went on a trip to Texas over the weekend to buy a car from his brother. We made it back to Missouri, but not home. My son passed out behind the wheel and totalled the Mustang that he had just gotten the evening before. Luckily, nobody else was involved in the wreck and he wasn't hurt. Both of my sons and I are very unhappy about the loss of the car. But, I'm thanking the Lord like crazy that my son is still alive. The wreck occurred on a very busy interstate at 10:45am on Monday. Lots of traffic. He hit the guardrail on the right side of the road and spun across two lanes of traffic and ended up sideways in the median. I saw it in my rearview mirror. Talk about a sickening sight! I was SO HAPPY to see him get out and walk around. Anyway, I have contacted an endocrinologist and am going to try and get him some help with his health.

Has anyone else had a problem with passing out from hypoglycemia?

Take care everybody!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:47 pm

I can totally relate! I have severe hypoglycemia and have a hard time eating. It's to the point where nothing ever sounds good. People ask what my favorite food is and I have none because it seems like I just hate everything equally.

None the less, I have to eat. It's either that or have a seizure or pass out.
Here are some snacks that I try:

-cheddar rice cakes w/ turkey lunch meat (sounds gross, but it's really good)
-peanut butter crackers
-fruit smoothie w/ silken tofu (for the protein..you can't taste the tofu, but it keeps me from dropping low)
-cereal in the morning with protein powder in it.
-soy joy bars

those are just a few. I am still struggling myself to find things i like. I know that mixing it up is best. Eating 6 times a day is tough and you want to grab something quick, but then we get tired of the same things over and over.

Best of luck! I will definitely let you know when I find new things and ideas!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanx, Nikki! I'll suggest these ideas to him and see what he does with them. If you should come up with more, please let me know. I hope that you're doing okay.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:34 am

drg,

I am SO glad that your son walked out of that one.

My husband has been trying to get a DX on this SAME thing. It happened when I was with him, he was the driver. I was rading a magazine and I felt the bumpy roadside and heard the gravel tossing. :eek: I looked over and he was out! I backhanded his arm and yelled and he got back to it quick. He has explained this to about 5-6 MD's and no DX yet. All his blood tests are "normal". One doctor told him to come in when it happens, but HOW can you? It happens when it happens and has NO special time it does and it does not happen all the time, this is SO unpredictable and he has told the MD's this. It just hits him and he is down. Then after the close call he wakes right back up, so he may never get DX'd. He drove 8 hours alone to visit his daughter and ended up taking a jug of orange juice, a thermos of coffee and LOTS of rest stops to stretch. I hope you all can get to the bottom of this.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi, Schauzermom! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I'm glad that you were able to get him to come to at the time that he had passed out. But, it's bad that the doctors can't come up with anything to help him. Strange that his blood tests all come out normal, but yet he keeps having problems. I wonder if there's something else that could be causing the blackouts? I'm taking my son to an endocrinologist on Thursday. Hopefully we'll learn something there. If I get anything good to share, I'll let you know. By the way, what type of blood tests has your husband had done? For my son, they just did a simple blood draw. But, I've been told for a "proper diagnosis" it has be a blood draw every so x number of minutes apart over an extended period of time, such as 6 or 8 hours. If this was not done, you might check on it. It's supposed to follow the highs and lows of the blood sugar count related to what you've eaten or had to drink and some time involved to get it through your system to see how your body reacts to it. I hope you can come up with something helpful for him. Take care.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”