"skipped" heart beats

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 am

As a reply to the original post...

I, too, suffer from skipped or irregular heartbeats. They use to cause me a great deal of anxiety, but after many tests (24-hour Holter monitor, numerous EKGs, echocardiogram, stress test) which all came back normal and a cardiologist who told me that this happens to everybody, I have again just learned to live with them.

Mine will be so bad as to cause me to start to black out. I have to either cough to get the rhythm going again, or bend over or sit down and put my head between my legs. They happen randomly with no stress-related or physical activity. I occasionally have to excuse myself if during a conversation or meeting to deal with them.

So, that's my experience with them. Not fun, but I really feel there is nothing I can do about them at this point since anxiety doesn't seem to play a factor in when they happen.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 am

I too have experience these " shipping beats "
that seem to happen and then a big boom of a beat afterwards and i've had every test done known to man and they told me I had a healthy heart, not problems. One nurse told me that people with anxiety were so sensitive that we felt this happening and people that weren't sensitive never do feel it but it happens to them as well, they just dont feel it. It's what you think after it happens that's important. I'm accustomed to them now and i realize that they are harmless... Hope this helps.

derfy

Post by derfy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Tommyboy,
I haven't felt them in a few months, but you're right about what I think about them. The thoughts that I have about the skipped beats are scarier than the experience of feeling them. They don't hurt but my thoughts after the event are paralyzing sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm happy to hear that you've been told that you have a healthy heart!
-Bri
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves...
who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be? --Unknown
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/loveyouguysWave.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/ValHeartsSmiHug.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/SigTags/LynneCocoaMo-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Thank God I found people like me! I have been having a run of the PVCs for a few months now. I have learned to live with them, but thought that maybe I should get another EKG to make sure everything was still okay. Well THAT opened up a can of worms. Two cardiologists, an ER trip and 48 hour Holter monitor later, I am having panic attacks, on Xanax and afraid to move for fear of having a heart attack with panic attacks coming all the time. Somehow I've gotten it into my head that my heart isn't healthy. I went from walking 40-60 min. a day on a treadmill to no exercise at all. The doctor wants me to do a stress echo to make sure my heart is structurally okay and then put me on a beta blocker to help the PVCs. Here's the kicker: I am afraid of the treadmill test. I panic at the thought of even making the appointment. I picture myself on it and panicking and embarrassing myself or worse, passing out or having a heart attack. How do I get over it?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:38 am

Hi to everyone and to "writersblock",
I have them all the time! Want to know when I have the most of them? When I keep THINKING about them. So my best advice and it takes determination to do it, and that is to keep busy, exercise and don't worry about them. Mine got really bad over the past month during my daughter's bridal shower and wedding. My doctor chuckled about them and said I am fine. He said I have a minor heart murmur that is probably partly why I have the skippy beats, but that I am perfectly healthy. I do yoga once a week and exercise at least once a day, walking, stretching, breathing exercises. Writersblock, you need to exercise, you are fine, so stop worrying and start living again. Beleive me, I was where you are a year ago, afraid to even move for fear of having a heart attack. I can laugh at that now. I heard a quote yesterday on the radio, and that is to "live life as if it is a miracle". Too many people spend way too much time waiting for a bomb to drop, health, family or otherwise. I spend my days marveling at the amazing gift of life that I have been given. Hugs to all of you!
Trina

Brooke.T

Post by Brooke.T » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 am

I get the skipped beats/flutters all the time. Not constantly, but frequently. Some things I have learned about them are:

1) Sometimes it means you are dehydrated and you need to drink more water. Drinking plenty of water helps it go away and/or prevent it.

2) Certain hormone fluctuations can cause it. Higher levels of estrogen, specifically. I notice I get the flutters right before and during my period.

3) Every doctor and even an EMT I talked to has told me that flutters/skipping beats are not in the least bit dangerous. That many people can't be wrong.

4) You may not be getting enough B vitamins or Magnesium. Take a supplement.

5) I once read a post on here by a woman who was in her 60's and said she had experienced the heart flutters all her life, and never had a problem. She said unless you pass out while it's happening, there's nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps!

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi all - I have the same problem. But I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse which does cause that to happen. Alot of people with MVP have anxiety...not sure if there is a connection there. Please get these things checked out by a doctor. MVP is easly diagnosed so if your doctor has told you that nothing is wrong then you do not have it. But if you have not been checked by a doctor, please do so. If you do have MVP then there are precautions that you need to take and that you need to be aware of.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 am

i too get the pause then my heart beats hard. i would go on all day long. i went to a nature doctor and he told me to take taurine its an ammino acid. and it stopped the 99%. only time i get them is when i miss a dose.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing, that good to know. I am always looking for natural remedies. I am happy that it works for you.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:38 am

I have had this same problem for years. I just recently figured out that it is because my hormones are out of whack. I started a program called womentowomen (womentowomen.com). They have an herbal supplement that is supposed to help balance your hormones. Anyway, I was taking that plus DHEA & Pregnenalone Drops when I started having those symptoms again. I called in and they said to drop the drops and just take the herbal supplement. Since I have done that, I have not had the skipping heart beats. I do believe that it could also be caused by anxiety, too. Hope this helps

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”