Chronic Throat Pain

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Marcie_K

Post by Marcie_K » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:13 am

I woke up 7 years ago experiencing a fullness or blockage in my throat. I've been to over 30 doctors for some kind of answer or at least relief from what has been now chronic pain. The ENTs treated me for reflux for 2 years without relief from symptoms. A 24 hour ph probe proved that it was not reflux. I've been scoped many times and my throat appears dry, and irritated. My thyroid has been checked and is functioning normally. I do have positive thyroid antibodies. Neurologists are not sure. My visit to the Mayo clinic proved also fruitless. Perhaps some type of neuralgia. Spray lidocaine only works for short periods. I am hanging on by a thread!!!
Doctors don't know what to do anymore or where to look and I am still in agony!!
Any other chronic pain sufferers out there?
Needless to say, I have lost my hope and my world had become very small. The anxiety and depression that have set in are as bad as the pain. I quit seeing my friends because I'm tired of explaining this nightmare.I guess I really need a miracle.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'm still open to new ideas.
Not Coping Well,
Marcie

Bill67

Post by Bill67 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Marcie K i read your post and feel sorry for you. i have the same feelings in my throat and a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck. I believe i have been exposed to a high risk hpv 2 years ago, I've been to many doctors and been on depression medicines which didn't help. I smoke and believe i will die soon.

nunu89

Post by nunu89 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:38 am

I have similar "Lump in my throat " feeling for the last few months. I was tellinga neighbor of mine & she said that she has experienced the same thing. we have both been for thryoid testing & everything was normal. She went to see an alternative Dr. & he said it had to do w/ stress. Those w/ anxiety/ depression usually are more Stressful.
When she told me this I started to realize at the times I CONCENTRATED on the " the lump" OR was Stress I would notcie it more & IT would bother me more.
SO not sure if this has something to do w/ it OR coincidental.
But makes some sense @ least for me. Maybe something U can pay attention too and see if the same for you!
Hope this helps! Feel better!

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 am

Unfortunately the western world does not have all the answers...so what's next? Alternative medicine, Chinese medicine, Naturopathic medicine and diet.

I cannot say for sure what the issue is. I can however tell you what i may be. In chinese medicine one of the possibilities in this situation is that of excess mucus or i should say phlegm. We get this when we consume dairy and when the body is too dry (meaning you aren't getting enough water from actual water and fruits and vegies). The body cannot get rid of this mucus and so it just sits there and obstructs.

What i'd be intrested in is what your diet consists of. I'd also be intrested in the consistency of your bowel movements as well as the quality...how many times are you having a bowel movement in a week? is it pebbly or log like?
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:56 am

Bill67

first of all what is HPV? and what is this with saying you think you're going to die soon? There are other people that can help you besides doctors. If you can get at the root of the problem then you could take care of the issue. Try looking into Naturopathic medicine, they can help you out a tremendous ammount. Actually so can cleanses like the Master Cleanse.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 am

I have been a sufferer of chronic throat pain for about two years, also. I was probably on my way to depression or some other way of coping with my pain. However, I was fortunate enough to find, at least for now, a solution to my problem that enabled me to live a largely normal life. After much experimentation with different types of medication, I have found a treatment strategy that works very well for me.
My throat symptoms likely stem from two or three original causes: 1) acid reflux and 2) post-nasal drip and maybe 3) stress. Somehow having these things occur over a long period of time, mostly without my really feeling them, caused the nerve (the glossopharyngeal nerve) in my throat to become very sensitive to almost any irritant. So, now this nerve is extra-sensitive. This is how other types of chronic pain work, also. So, even with good control of acid reflux and post-nasal drip, I still had a great deal of throat pain.
There are medications I take now which treat the nerve sensitivity and really give me great relief. I also continue to take something for acid reflux and post-nasal drip.
I highly recommend speaking with your doctor (my doctor is a gastroenterologist) about these medications. I personally take gabapentin (a.k.a neurontin) and a low dose of clonazepam (a.k.a. klonopin).
If your doctor does not know about or is not comfortable treating chronic "neuropathic" pain, then find one who is comfortable.
This pain is treatable and surgery is typically not required. I happen to be a physician myself (though admittedly I do not specialize in this area) and did a great amount of research in order to figure this out. I shuffled from doctor to doctor, at first, until I luckily found one who was willing to work with me to find the right treatment for my pain. I will also add that narcotic medications only make this type of pain worse in the long run. Things like percocet or Tylenol #3, or vicodin may help for short periods of time, but will only mask the underlying problem. These medications taken over a long period of time will lead to a need for higher dosing as tolerance builds, and a dependency on them. Good luck.

girlpowermom

Post by girlpowermom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 am

Wow Dr. J that fits my 13 year old daughter to a "T". And thanks Marcie for starting this good topic. I hope things got better since June.

I am only a psychologist - but did realize the nerve involvement needed neurontin or something. I requested something for "neuro pain" but only got prozac which helped a little bit with anxiety, but the pain persists.

I got her in a biofeedback program - which is good - but any thoughts on how to approach to ask again for meds for neuro pain?

Marcie_K

Post by Marcie_K » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Thank you to all of you who have shared your information. My thyroid and stomach have been ruled out. Most of the other body systems were ruled out at the Mayo clinic. I believe I suffer with some kind of rare neuralgia. In the last few months I have found a pain management expert who is going to see me through this. I have tried so many meds up to now and I am hoping for a direct injection to alleviate my unbearable pain.
Most neuro meds have not helped. Pain meds and muscle relaxers put me in a stupor. This has been a long journey but I have learned to listen to my body. If you don't find a doctor to address your concerns, move on. I will not waste another visit to someone who thinks that I am just stressed out!!!
I want my life back and I deserve to feel better. We all do! Thanks for listening.

monty'smom

Post by monty'smom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:09 am

Hi All,

I bagan having throat pain and sore lymphnodes after taking Gabapentan and Trazodone about 2 weeks ago and believe one of those drugs says it may cause sore lymphnodes and sore throat. If you are taking a med be sure to check it's side effects just to be sure this pain isn't caused by a med.

Best of luck to everyone!
BELIEVE YOU CAN CONQUER ANYTHING~ AND YOU WILL !! I DID IT, YES !!!!!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”