DOes anyone have restless leg syndrome, HELP

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:23 am

I have for about the past three months had Im pretty sure resless leg syndrome.
It feels like someone is pullling on my legs and if I dont move them they hurt. It keeps me up all night. Does anyone have a cure or over the counter med that they know of.
Thanks

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:51 am

Hey,

I don't know what happened over here. <machine crash> Yes, I have RLS. I heard that it is a vitamin B-1 deficiency. Yeah, thiamin. Walgreens- cheap. I take like 600mg a day. Look I still kick, but I am in no pain from that.

600mg? I could take 900mg. No, I am not going to OD, and it won't affect my behavior. My body will winkle out what I don't need. It won't interact with meds anymore than Centrum will, but check with your pharmacist, doctor or the web anyway. Actually, please do that.

Oh, and if you get really bad leg cramps like I did, you are probably potassium deficient as well.

I felt better in 2 weeks doing this. Think about how we eat. Think about where you are getting your potassium and B-complex if you eat at McDonalds every day. Get it??

Luly

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:00 am

Pooh Bear II, I too have RLS. Used to kick my (beloved!) husband in our sleep. :eek: ;)

My doc Rx'd Klonopin (generic=clonazepam), but it is a benzodiazepine, so I'd like to be able to wean off.

I am going to talk to him about B1 (thanks Luly!). I also take 3 mg of Melatonin (over-the-counter) at night to help me get sleepy. Klonopin works eventually, but you build tolerance to it, so you need more and more to make it work.

I think you should tell your primary doc how your legs are feeling to be sure it's RLS. JMO. :)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:26 am

my doc perscribed many different antidepressants. most of them worked for a while but i would soon build up a tolerance for them. i know use a natural supplement called valerian root. i've used it for about 4 months with decent results. the best price for good quality i have found was on the net at nutraceutical science institute (NRI)

Jody Lynn

Post by Jody Lynn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:51 am

thanks for the info guys.
I dont have a doc right now but I am looking for one so if I find one hopefully they can help.
Derf Clonazepam makes me really dizzy and tired does it you tooo?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:43 am

Hey poohbear,
I'm not 100% sure the definition of RLS, but I used to feel it before bed trying to sleep yrs ago and then it seemed to go away. I wouldnt kick in my sleep, I would just feel this annoying leg ache where I had to move my legs. Lately, I have found that when I'm up late say watching a movie and I'm fighting sleep b/c I want to stay awake, I start to get the same achy feeling in the same area of my legs. I was curious if the syndrome was sleep related? It happens too if I'm having trouble sleeping, weird. I dont know. I'm interested in the vitamin deficiency issue, that would be great to cure RLS for folks by just taking a supplement. I remember the first time I saw the commercial about it, I thought wow, there's a name for it and look a med you can take too! haha
good luck with things
jocelyn

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Hello there! I'm pretty sure that I have Restless Legs Syndrome, even though I haven't been diagnosed or whatever by a doctor. Especially after I saw that commercial about it, then I knew that I have it. It usually happens to me when it's around 10:00 or when it's time to go to bed. I get this weird feeling in my legs and I have to get up or just do something to move my legs, because it drives me crazy! So I know what you mean.
from, Tammy

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Oh, I have awful leg cramps and shakes at night. I suppose I should see a doctor. I agree, that it is usually vitamin defiancy. I will try the supplements to. I wake up screaming and I can't get up to walk around.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Old-fashioned Quinine tablets help! Just ask your pharmacist.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:13 am

Hi everyone,
I have rls and it was severe enough that I went on levocarb a drug for treating parkinsons disease.It generally helped but I couldn't live with the idea of taking a drug for parkinsons and so went off of it.It seems to hit me for a certain period of time then eases off and I have periods without it.I have connected it almost directly to my diet :) so the advise here for vitamins, eating well etc is well worth a try.I'm taking the good days vitamins associated with this program now and pretty much on a glycemic index diet which does wonders for mood swings and energy levels.
I think people who have never had rls just can't relate, so good luck to you.I know how frustrating it can be.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”