Chiropractors..More harm then help?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
spedteacher

Post by spedteacher » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:25 am

Hi all! I hurt my back in August (bent over wrong and herniated a disk) and went to see a chiropractor. Well, I feel like he did more harm than good with all his popping and cracking.
I stopped going in the beginning of October just to see how I felt without his help and guess what? I actually feel better. I still have pain but I also have a mild case of fibromyalgia. I also know that I have pinched nerve that manifests its pain in the top of my left thigh but he never helped with that so I just deal with it.
"Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way, no day but today!"~Jonathan Larson
www.myspace.com/erinberens

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:45 am

I've heard stories from both sides... some people swear by chiropractors and others claim they have done more harm than good. I guess it works for some but not others... just like with medication.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:48 pm

I think it is a matter of getting the right chiropractor. Some of them are great and some are just bone crackers. I have fibromyagia and bad osteoarthritis and I get adjusted regularly and sure do suffer much when I miss or skip a treatment. I think it is like anything else, what works for some, doesn't work for others. A herniated disc is something that won't be fixed with adjustments. That requires special treatment.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I have gone to chiroprsctors since 1976. MOST ARE BAD!! A very few won't hurt you more. They kept telling me they could help, popping and pushing. Well , now I have 2 titanium rods in my back, and still in pain , so I guess there are no good answers.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am

I got thrown off a horse June 30th 2007 and landed on my back, I went to a chiro and he took X-rays then proceded to tell me that my back was a mess (not just from the fall) and that I had all these old injuries! Which I had never had back problems before. I went a few times (he wanted me to go 2 times a week for 8-12 weeks!) I stopped going and now I am going to have a radiologist read my X-ray and tell me the truth!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 am

I had the same thing happen to me. Got thrown and landed kind of upside down on my shoulders. Jammed my back and had a compression fracture to my 1st lumbar vertebra. I went to a chiropractor. He did help, but only temporary.

Had x-rays done. The doctor said there was nothing seriously wrong, just some arthritis and that I needed to strengthen my back and abs for better support. (I had upper back pain before the fall).

He said to start exercising and lift weights until I could military press 50 lbs. I worked with a trainer for 5 years - never got even close to the 50 lbs. Felt better at times but still had
chronic back pain most of the time. Decided to quit lifting weights last summer when my left shoulder started bothering me.

So here I am. This is my 1st week in the program. I'm hoping to try to control my stress and anxiety. I think this is linked to my back pain and muscle tightness.

Anyway, hope you're doing better. Did you ever find out the truth?

QueenEsther

Post by QueenEsther » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:46 pm

lisar,
This post is for you and anyone else who suffers from chronic back pain. I have been suffering from back pain since jan. 2005 I already had back surgury and now it looks as if i need another one. Possibly neck surgery too. Anyway my point here is yes that is definitly adding to your anxiety especially if your obsessing over it. What you need to do is go and see a neurologist tell him or her what is going on and where you are feeling pain next he will administer a nerve test if you are having any radiating pain. Then he will send you for and MRI depending where your pain is located. Eg. lower back-midback-neck. Depending on his findings he may recommend physical therapy combined with some type of medication. Or if in his opinion surgery is an option he will recommend you to go see a neurosurgeon. By doing this you will find out what is wrong with you and what your options are. I am in week 10 of the program and learned you dont have to deal with anything make a plan for your self and take care of business. Your not going to find your answer saying i'll live with it. In fact living with pain in my opinion will lead you to become more depressed and anxious so start now and follow the steps to feeling physically better give the program your all and just know that you deserve and owe it to yourself to be happy.
Good Luck

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:17 pm

hi yall when i was little i had bad headachs the kind that put in bead. i mom took me to all kinds of drs. thay told her all kinds of reasens. it was my eyes, i was just saying i was having i had 1, ect. when i was 12 my mom took me to a chiropractor as a last resort. and it worked my headachs stoped. well am 42 now and still go to one every time i start getting headachs . the first chiropractor told me that thay can only help some problems. there some chiropractors that arent worth spit. but the good ones can help. if its a problme they can fix. sorry it didnt work for you.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”