Not sure what to do about Adrenal Fatigue

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
cole2458

Post by cole2458 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:10 pm

I recently started seeing a holistic/alternative doctor because convential pschyatrict (spelling?) medications have not worked for me. My doctor said that she thinks I have adrenal fatigue and possibly an auto-immune disorder. I had vaguely heard about adrenal fatigue, and was wondering a few things. First, how do you get conventionally tested for it? Is there a blood test? Second what do you do to make it better/go away? Is there medication or therapy? My doctor wants to go with a mixture of energy medicine and vitamins, but I am just curious about what other people have found to be helpful.
...and right when she thought the world was ending, the catepillar became a beautiful butterfly...

LaRubia

Post by LaRubia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 am

I'll tell what I know - I am currently under a wonderful treatment plan for chronic adrenal fatigue & thyroid disorder - Check out the website: <A HREF="http://www.fibroandfatigue.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fibroandfatigue.com</A>
The website is LOADED with information to help understand what is going on in your body, and they have treatment centers all over the country. The blood tests they do are BEYOND thorough! Finally, someone was able to actually, SCIENTIFICALLY, without a DOUBT, tell me what is really wrong, and how to fix it! I'm having a VERY hard time today as I literally got NO SLEEP last night, and am waiting to hear from my pharmacy regarding the refill for my ambien (only thing that helps me sleep) - please pray for me for strength to get thru this workday. Keep me posted on your treatment, OK?

- Dawn

~*schnauzermom*~

Post by ~*schnauzermom*~ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi Cole!

I have adrenal fatigue and two auto immune disease. Here is how my doctors went about diagnosing me.

Sarcoidosis was found about a month after I was told I just had pneumonia. I had a follow up chest x-ray 5 weeks later which showed no change from the x-ray 5 weeks before. Then I had a CT scan then many blood tests, pulmonary function tests and a lung biopsy to confirm it. I was on prednisone for 7 months and November 11th is my 1 year off predinsone. It has been in something my doctor calls "clinical remission" because I have not shown any symptoms of the disease.

The Hashimoto's Thyroiditis was diagnosed from a blood test, I have too many Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (>1000 when normal range is <35). I take thyroid medication Armour Thyroid, but I needed to back down as I was having too much and got anxiety symptoms. It is a delicate balance with thyroid meds and blood test, but I am feeling better than without the thyroid medicine. Without this thyroid medicine I would have been bed ridden because I was SO very tired and weak. So thyroid meds have helped.

Auto immune diseases do not go away. Some can remiss for a week, month, year or indefinatley, but there is no way of telling or testing how long a remission period may last or if the disease may progess. Other auto immune diseases are en every day issue for a lifetime, but can be managed with various therapies. Some are rare like Sarcoidosis and Churgg Strauss but others are common like diabetes and arthritis. Diffrent diseases have different tests.

Adrenal fatigue was a simple saliva test. 4 containters filled up with my saliva at 4 different times of day. I was on DHEA and pregnenolone drops, but I had a reaction, so that stopped. I am seeing a endocrinologist for the first time on Thursday, so we shall see how he will manage my adrenal fatigue and Hasimoto's. I had a natural/alternative MD handling it, but since this is really seems more than an MD can handle (at least he comes off to me this way because he upped my meds without a blood test and it was too much thyroid med) I feel comfortable with the expert. That is like taking a transmission issue to Jiffy Lube; they can change oil, but that is about it.

Good luck in your therapy. If you are even in doubt question it. If you are not comfortable in the treatment or with the doctor, go elsewhere!
"Afterall, everybody only hears what he understands." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Missouri gal

Post by Missouri gal » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Adrenal fatigue can result from chronic anxiety. We are always flushing adrenalin into our system with rushes of anxiety, and this wears out the organs that regulate adrenalin. That's adrenal fatigue.

It's important to treat it as a medical condition because it is very real.

It may also be helpful to understand its emotional roots, as this can help in the long run keeping it from recurring.

Tap your body's wisdom. What is it trying to tell you? In a magazine article, I read a series of questions you can ask yourself, which I've found very helpful. Find a quiet time when you're alone, and spend some leisurely time dropping down into your body, and asking your body:

1. The symptoms or trouble you're having -- does it have a meaning?
2. How have you treated it?
3. Have you suffered because your reaction?
4. Is it asking you to let go of something?
5. Where is this heading?

Good luck. With elaborate rest -- with reworking your way of relating to yourself, your body, your work -- and with medical help, you can get better. It's important to be kind to yourself, in a way you don't have to deserve or earn. You deserve to rest, to be refreshed, to have the support you need. You deserve to feel better.

Missouri Gal

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”