Anyone take Metformin?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
stephyannette

Post by stephyannette » Tue May 06, 2008 12:55 pm

I was just curious if anyone here takes metformin (glucophage) for diabetes/other reasons? If so, does the weird head feelings and nausea ever go away? My ears feel weird, like they are plugged up, my head feels kind of fuzzy, and my stomach just doesn't feel right. It makes me REALLY tired too. I could seriously go lay down right now and go to sleep. I am only taking 500mgs of it, and I figured these feelings would stop after a couple days.

GAVINSMOM

Post by GAVINSMOM » Tue May 06, 2008 1:38 pm

I took metformin for infertility a few yrs ago and I hated it. I just felt weird while I was on it I don't know how to describe it just strange! I also had a lot of stomach upset with it. I was so glad when the dr took me off of it!Is it necessary that you are on it? Maybe you could try something else!

StevenFarrisOhio

Post by StevenFarrisOhio » Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Stephy -
I take Metformin as well for my type ii diabetes.
Many people warned me about the stomach distress but I did not have that problem. I did have hearing issues but they seem to have resolved themselves. I noticed my appetite peaked - didn't need that. I still take it after one year...
Steven Farris

Believer08

Post by Believer08 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 pm

I took metaformin for a short period of time. Yes it did aggrevate my stomache. But after changing my diet, excercising, and loosing my weight I didn't have to take it anymore....

Nikki Jo

Post by Nikki Jo » Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 pm

I am also on Metformin. I have been on it about 2 years for Polycystic ovary syndrome. When I started taking it I didn't notice any side effects whatsoever. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I can't help you much but know you aren't alone in taking it. I can vouch for the fact that weight gain is an issue for me because of it. Since starting on it and due to the PCOS, I have gained alot of weight and I'm not proud of it but I have to take it. I guess after awhile we just learn to adjust to what is going to help us treat our ailments.
Best of luck to you. I know when we make changes in what we are used to, it can really mix us up. I'm with ya.

stephyannette

Post by stephyannette » Tue May 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Gavinsmom - My doctor thinks it's necessary for me to take it. My gyno put me on it for elevated blood sugar levels associated with polycystic ovaries. I had some troubles with the side effects when I increased to two pills a day, and stopped taking them. She actually wanted me to work up to 4 pills a day (2000 mgs). My regular physican reviewed my lab work and said I should try them again, but only take one pill a day because of the side effect trouble.

Steven - Your hearing issues came on when you started taking the metformin? The feelings in my ears drive me nuts! It's like they are clogged, or need to pop.

Believer - I hope the stomach issues go away. I have been trying to eat better, and trying to cut back on a lot of carbs and sugars. It's just always been really hard for me to actually lose weight. I seem to gain it easier!

Nikki - I hope I don't gain any more weight while taking this. My weight seems to be the reason for this whole mess in the first place!

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2008 3:25 am

Hello all!
I take 2000 mlg. a day of Metformin for Type 2
diabetes. I have been taking it for a long time. 5 or 6 years.
It still will give me diahrea at times. But it is effective for the diabetes. I take another medicine with it, glimerpiride.
Yes, I do have problems with weight control.

Sometimes I think you just can't win for losing.
(not losing weight, however) LOL
I just accept it and go on.
MJ

stephyannette

Post by stephyannette » Wed May 07, 2008 4:11 am

Originally posted by Cornflower:
Hello all!
I take 2000 mlg. a day of Metformin for Type 2
diabetes.
Hello. I am so confused because I don't have diabetes, and my gynocologist wanted me on 2000 mgs of metformin, which seems to be what everyone with type 2 has been taking. All she said was my blood sugar was elevated. Is that the general dosage for the pill itself? Or is there some way of distinguishing how much different people should be on?

Nikki Jo

Post by Nikki Jo » Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 am

Steph,

I take 1000 mg of Metformin, and I have for quite awhile. When I started taking it, I started at 500 mg, then started working my way up. The doctor checked some levels in my blood to see where they were after I started on it. If it was still not where it was supposed to be, she upped it until it was where she wanted it. It just took some time to get it regulated. I hate taking any meds and I continue on a bunch of them, because I don't have much other choice at this point in my life. I'm hopeful that I can break the chain and just get my life in order without the help of the meds in combination with the side effects.

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2008 5:08 am

Stephi:
My doctor does an A-1C check on my blood every 3 months.
How much or how little medicine I take is based on my blood glucose levels. (sugar in the blood).
The medicine is to control the amount of the blood sugar.
My neices take only 500 mlg. per day.
It depends on the person and the condition and on how well one manages his/her diet.
Diet is the most important factor in managing diabetes.
MJ

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”