Hypochondriac

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
samcat

Post by samcat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:14 am

Hey Guys,

I think that unfortunately, hypocondriasis is just part and parcel of anxiety/depression. We probably all have this to one degree or another. Remember how Lucinda says we have over-active imaginations, are creative and are apt to turn things into disasters? Bingo, any strange body feeling and we kick into that mode and off we go. Hopefully, just realizing what we are doing will help us stop it in its tracks.

BethDyess

Post by BethDyess » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:53 am

I know what you mean. My symptoms started with feeling like I was choking to heart then brain. I think when we think of certain things our bodies can somehow make some of it happen.

That or we are very sensitive.

m2spoild

Post by m2spoild » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Guilty here... whether it be heart attack, stroke, death, cancer, diabetes, lack of oxygen, brain tumor, etc. I am constantly worried about what every single little feeling is and I stress about it in MAJOR ways... which of course brings on the anxiety attacks.
* Michelle *

Amy1277

Post by Amy1277 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies...I am glad to know I am not alone with this!! Please if anybody would like to PM me that would be great! Sometimes we do need to talk about these things!!

despina

Post by despina » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:15 pm

OMG..I also have all of these symptoms. All week I have been having tingling up my left arm and I always think I am going to have a heart heart attack. Even when I read about a certain illness I think I have the condition. I am 39/yrs old , a mother of 3 and worry that I will not be around. I can't stand this feeling. I keep hearing about people dying in their 30's/40's and think I will be the next one gone..leaving my kids motherless. I had a physical in Sept and everything was fine..but my heart was never checked and I think that maybe I have an underlying condition. Are my feeling psycho-somatic..am I creating them?
despina

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:28 am

Hello,
I read this and HAD to reply as well. I too, deal with the same things! I find myself worrying about health issues. Whenever I get a simple cold, or sinus infection, stomach virus etc, I just worry that I will never get better, and that I will be sick forever! It is ridiculous. If I hear of someone with diabetes, or cancer, heart issue, stroke, or whatever disease...I just start wondering what if that happens to me, and it is almost as if I start 'thinking' that I feel those symptoms! It is all anxiety, and it is amazing how anxiety affects us and where our minds can go and how much we really think we are feeling a certain way and we are not. I am learning to deal with things much better. I have recently had a headcold and I am happy that the anxiety did not take over as it has done in the past.
Hopefully we will all be able to not think that bad things will happen to us, because we have all been checked out numerous amounts of times (well, I know I have), and we are healthy! :)
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

despina

Post by despina » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:22 am

I hope we can some day overcome these feelings. Just yesterday I was watching a program about sick kids and I found myself scanning my children for symptoms. I hate this..but then I bring myself back into reality by self-talk. I know my anxiety regarding health started when my mother passed away over 10/yrs ago from cancer. Prior to this, I never really worried about health but remember my mother worried about health a lot.
despina

gstroop28

Post by gstroop28 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:18 am

Hallelujah! I knew I wasn't alone!!!

I'm a 36 year old mom of 2 girls and I too am a Hypochondriac - and I know - as does everyone around me.... whenever I have chest pains, it's a heart attack - I just KNOW it! When I can't breath or my arms are tingling - it's a stroke (of course, I am hyperventilating... duh - my arms are numb).

I have had my panic/anxiety/depression fairly under control for 8 years with help of Prozac, but had a bout of sickness (mono and urinary issues) last year where I had a bad reaction to the antibiotics and was in the hospital twice. Of course, my anxiety and depression were unbearable. I started the program and as I got better (physically) - I was able to get better mentally.

Now, out of the blue (actually driving to work) - had a full blown massive panic attack. Really proud of myself since I was driving BY the hospital... went INTO the parking deck - took 1/2 a Xanax (which is almost 2 years old, but boy do I keep it with me...just in case).... almost passed out from sleep since my body was not used to it. Calmed down - went on to work (of course I was exhausted since that adreneline coursed through me).

Last Monday, coming back from lunch with co-worker, I almost passed out (sinus infection) and couldn't breathe. Had to have an ambulance come... talk about EMBARASSING!!

Depression/anxiety has been through the roof, but i've started the program again and while today was a "bad" day... yesterday was good... I hope tomorrow will be better.

Question: anyone who has gone through the program before, do you work through it on a weekly basis again - or all at once (as I WANT to..)

Anyone feel free to PM me and I'd love to talk... it truly helps talking to people who are going through the same thing as me.
Thanks!

Angie

ShellNeedsHelp!

Post by ShellNeedsHelp! » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:54 am

I could not be more like you. My mother died of breast cancer at age 51 and my sister-in-law at age 56 just 3 days after diagnosis. Cancer and death IS my fear!!! I believe my constant fear is now actually causing me to have IBS and so many other low immune system problems. I need help!!! I am only 38 with two small children and so much life to live! How can I turn the worry and what if obsessive thinking off??? My family thinks I'm crazy and every test I have usually comes back fine, but recently a pap test came back bad and I am getting a recheck in Jan. Over the summer I had extreme high blood pressure problems which is now under control, but I can't seem to stay healthy there is always something that helps to keep this anxiety going. Can anyone help me?

tvgirl

Re: Hypochondriac

Post by tvgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi all, just restarting this forum because this is my biggest issue! It's been years, & not gotten any better. It's time for my annual physical, & I have just downspiralled into anxiety. I need help.

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”