Hypochondriac

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Amy1277

Post by Amy1277 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 pm

I was wondering if anybody deals with being a hypochondriac? I find even if I don't have a symptom a can make myself sick. I worry mainly about cancer. My panic and depression is fine until I start thinking " maybe I have this illness" I have had multiple tests done and nothing ever is wrong...which is a huge relief until something else pops up. My question is, does anybody else deal with this and what do you do to cope? Thank you!!

dansing

Post by dansing » Sun May 31, 2009 5:33 am

dancer:- you bet I have - i have gone through this program about 2 yrs ago & I am having a growth spurt- I was sick with a cold for 2 wks & thought I would never get well - I mean i thought I would be sick forever - the old anx has come back - live alone - & i find it difficult to sleep - lots of obsessive thoughts - even went on net for throat/chest diseases- well I know there is comfort out there with Lesson 10 - which i might add is totally falling out of this workbook !!!-

tvgirl

Post by tvgirl » Sun May 31, 2009 8:30 am

This is my main problem. I am CONSTANTLY worried about my health. I panic every time I have a doctor's appt, because I fear that something will be wrong. I feel like if I can overcome this, my anxiety woud probaby go away.

Amy1277

Post by Amy1277 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:44 am

I feel the same way. I feel that if I didn't have to worry SO much I would not have panic attacks. I am fine until a health concern pops up. I have thought that I have had so many different things wrong with me...I am trying to start the program over and see if it will help...

BTTRFLY

Post by BTTRFLY » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:19 am

Count me in, and cancer is my top worry as well. Every twinge, bump, ache, cough, whatever is cancer. I've probably kept my doctor's office in business, and have had so many tests that were fine it is ridiculous. Thing is, once I'm about 1 year out I figure whatever test was normal probably isn't anymore, and insurance companies do not want to pay for the same test every year, lol.

I completely agree with everyone on here's thought that if we could let go of the health anxiety we would be doing really well. I am fine between "health issues" as well. Please feel free to pm me, any of you, as this is such a lousy form of anxiety and it is good to have support by folks who know how you feel. I'm 33 and am convinced I am terminal at least once a week...

Tara
"If nothing ever changed...there would be no Butterflies." Author unknown

cosmogirl

Post by cosmogirl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I am sooooooooooo with all of you guys on this one. I don't know why we feel like we have to do this to ourselves. I think that I do it as kind of an insurance policy as stupid as that sounds. I figure that if I worry enough about it it will make it not be true or it will keep me from actually having the problem, crazy huh?

2letgo

Post by 2letgo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:47 pm

I am new on this site. This is my main problem!!! I start my day with thinking I have one type of cancer and end it by going through four different types of cancer. I am soooo afraid of dieing. I have a daughter and I'm afraid that I won't see her grow up or that she will see her mom suffer from cancer. I just want to go through the day and feel no physical pain so I can stop thinking about cancer for a moment. Today alone I thought I had skin cancer, brain tumor, kidney failure, and throat cancer. Will I ever be able to live a normal life??? I often look at others and tell myself that I bet they don't think they are dieing. I just want to be like those "normal" people. I feel dizzy everyday now because my anxiety gets worse by the day. I hope this program and talking with you all I can find relief.

labourg

Post by labourg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 am

Had to reply-just caught this thread!! Health anxiety is my biggest issue--and I work in healthcare!!! I always think I have something wrong with me from cancer, to stroke, to heart attack, to MS, to you name it, I have it! I am hoping as the panic attacks and unreality go away that the health "issues" will die down too. Hypochondriasis is the worst!!! And I'm too afraid to go to the doctor to find out if there really is anything wrong with me!! I'm only 33 and I can't live like this forever

cosmogirl

Post by cosmogirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:07 pm

This is so hard to deal with but I realize the more stress that I am under the more the health anxiety emerges so if I can keep my stress in check the anxiety about my health with be under control to. I am trying to figure out how to keep my stress in check when I don't even know it is there sometimes until it has totally taken hold of me. I am not saying my life is the most stressful of anyone but I have a pretty stressful life like a lot of people. Some of it I feel like I have no control and other parts I do. I guess my hard part is just keeping it from becoming anxiety like the tape says but some of the suggestions they give are unrealistic for me right now so I struggle. Any ideas that have work for managing stress that you can't just get rid of?

giga247

Post by giga247 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:41 am

i was told i was a hypo at 11 yrs old. I watched a movie called lorenzos oil and swore i was going to die( im a girl and only males get it! lol) but for a year i made myself so sick i couldnt be left alone always at drs therepist you name it i was looked at for it! I still suffer from it though not as much its always a constant worry. I do have a certain illness so sometimes i say that its just that, but cant help but to wonder if there is something else wrong. this dose cause alot of anxiety and fear but i hope one day to overcome it. i guess whats going to be is going to be i try hard not to worry but well its not always easy and i say i know where im going if i should die so in a way the worry will eat you alive and take the one life were ment to live away!

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”