Hypomania??!?

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
Leda

Post by Leda » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Hello everyone. It's just recently occurred to me that my husband might be hypomanic. We have to schedule a doctor's visit to get more details but this has really thrown me for a loop. All this time we thought ADD/ADHD. But as I did some research it sounds so, scarily much like him. It upsets me because one of his uncles is bipolar and has been institutionalized for his entire adult life.

My husband has been flying high for the past few weeks and it scares me that he just keeps going. The more I read about hypomania the more scared I get (and I've suffered with anxiety my whole life, obviously)-what might he do? What could happen if this goes untreated? What is treatment, exactly? Does it have to be medication?

I'm angry at his parents for never doing anything to help him when it's been obvious, since he was a little boy, that something was not right. Thanks for reading, and for any insight. I'm feeling upset and kind of lost right now.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:54 pm

First remain calm until you are sure that your husband has the disorder. (harder than it sounds I know) If it is hypomania it is much less serious than Bi-polar disorder, but both of them are very treatable with medication. People with both disorders (two of whom I know) are able to live productive lives when on medication. It may take a little while to figure which medication works best for each person but there are meds now that work for almost everyone.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello,

I read your posting and can relate. I too have always thought my husband has ADD but now think it's hypomania. We are having major marital issues and I want to help him but don't know where to start. I have also had anxiety all my life and am trying to deal with it myself. A lot to deal with no doubt. Feel free to send an update if you want :) Take care.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 am

Hi, Leda,
I'm sorry about your husband's problems. While it's regrettable that his parents didn't get him the help he needed, please don't waste your energy being angry with them. Maybe THEY were too anxious or ashamed or in denial or ignorant to do what needed to be done. Try to let it go and put your energy and focus on what to do NOW. Remember, "You can't change the past."
Best wishes to both of you,
BW

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”