Dealing with Chronic Disease

For discussion of Chronic Diseases such as Obesity, Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc.
HisGirl

Post by HisGirl » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:39 am

I am just 4 days out from having a thyroid nodule removed. The great news is that there was no cancer! I am feeling pretty lethargic - which is pretty normal after undergoing surgery, but I must admit it is harder to keep positive thoughts flowing right now. I am really trying hard not to be too hard on my expectations to bounce back to normal quickly. Any words of experience or encouragement?

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:35 am

his Girl,

i am sorry to hear about the operation, but glad to hear that everything seems to have gone good for you :)

question: what were your symptoms with the nodule? what identified the nodule?

HisGirl

Post by HisGirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I am feeling much better - I guess I didn't realize that anesthesia can cause you to feel a bit depressed after surgery.

I have had low thyroid for about 5 years and have been taking levothyroxine for it. About 7 months ago I started feeling very fatigued and was finding myself having "mini" anxiety attacks. (I had a round of anxiety and depression about ten years ago, but this time the symptoms were not as severe.) I thought it was due to working myself too hard and not resting enough....which is part of it I am sure.

Over the next few months I started having more anxiety and was feeling very moody, hormonal, etc. I work as a choral director and started noticing a very uncomfortable feeling in my throat. I started on Celexa (what I had taken 10 years ago), but had adverse reactions - even more anxiety and panic, accomapanied by some depression.

When I finally went to see the doctor, he immediately took me off the Celexa and put me on Lexapro, ordered blood tests and gave me a brief physical exam of the Thyroid area. He found a pretty good sized nodule - I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it!

Long story short, it was cold tumor - which can be cancerous, so the waiting period before the surgery was a bit stressful. But fortunately the procedure went well, there was no cancer, no damage to my vocal chords in the surgery and I already can sing with no pain.

Sometimes low thyroid can cause symptoms of fatigue, anxiety and depression. I recommend having your thyroid checked if any of this sounds familiar. These thyroid nodules are so common - in the last year four of my colleagues have had them.

Best -

Paul R.

Post by Paul R. » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:11 pm

hey hisgirl,

i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 3 years ago, was on levothyroxine for 2 of those years at 50 mcg, until i began to get panic attacks back in March of 2008.

i switched to synthroid, which did nothing to curb the tension and nervousness that i felt along with extreme anxiety.

an osteopath listened to me, and agreed to lower my dose to 25 mcg which brought some alleviation of the symptoms.

as of thanksgiving, i switched to armour thyroid 15 mg and have been feeling even better; though still not quite right yet.

i have been feeling odd sensations when swallowing with my head titled down or turned to the side. while on synthroid i would also occasionally feel brief, sharp jabs of pain to my thyroid area on the rt side. i saw my doctor today for a follow up on the armour, and we talked about it.

i had an ultrasound 2 months ago, and everything was clear. when my doctor feels my neck, there are no unusual feelings.

sometimes i wonder if it is just in my head and anxiety is creating the sensations, ya know...considering all of the testing that i have had.

HisGirl

Post by HisGirl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:06 am

I hear you on wondering if the sensation are in your head or not. I know as a person prone to anxiety, I tend to over-react to many sensations I feel. That is something I really have to work on.

As long as the tests are clear and your doctor doesn't feel anything abnormal, all you can do is trust in that. I would keep track of what you feel - but try not to let it cause you anxiety. (Easier said than done.)

Hope all continues well for you!

My cup is half full

Post by My cup is half full » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 am

I had my first symptoms of autoimmune disease 45 years ago; thank G-D it progressed slowly. Anxiety became the new addition about a year ago.

I'm new to the program, but will follow this post. I just try to take it slowly. Good luck to you :roll:

Return to “Chronic Disease Sufferers”