How to figure what is bothering you?

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
mtassinari

How to figure what is bothering you?

Post by mtassinari » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello everyone,

So I have been moving through the program slowly and I am now on session 14. The skills taught in the program have definitely helped me, although I certainly feel I have a long way to go. Recently what has been giving me the most trouble is identifying my feelings and why I am having them.

Recently I felt very depressed and took me days of feeling this way to realize that it was being caused by my stressful response to my job. I somehow worked myself into feeling this way over a period of a couple of weeks without even realizing it!

Does anyone else have problems recognizing their feelings for what they are? I feel like I don't even realize the depressive/fearful direction I am taking myself until I get to a point where I feel very bad, and at this point it is a struggle to figure out why I feel that way. It feels ridiculous to be 23 years old and not know why I am feeling sad or afraid.

Ninjafrodo2

Re: How to figure what is bothering you?

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Yep I've had that myself for a long time, past the age of 23 (so no worries about judgement there). There is nothing wrong or silly with this picture at all, this is just how it is right now and there is always a reason for these things.

Let me ask you a question....Growing up for you, how were emotions dealt with? How did your family process them? How did they respond to you when you expressed your emotions?

Mike

mtassinari

Post by mtassinari » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks for the response Mike, sorry this is coming so late!

It makes me feel better that someone else deals with this as well.
I have struggled to express and process my emotions for as long as I can remember. To be honest, I don't remember anything unusual about the way my family responded to or processed my emotions as I expressed them. I do remember a couple instances of a family member snapping at me or losing their temper, but overall this was not the case.

Of course, I am certain I focused a lot on these few negative instances.

I do remember being extremely uncomfortable with confrontation and with telling people how I felt. I believed I developed a habit of avoiding emotional expression to avoid this discomfort.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:51 pm

hey now its my turn to respond late.

I actually went through an improv class for anxiety (still am going through these classes actually) and I must say, taking acting type courses are great for reconnecting with emotions and understanding them...I was fortunate enough to have one geared towards anxiety and I know those aren't as common as normal improv classes so I decided to share my information via video format........if it helps then check out this video of mine;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7hdLuZ ... P6&index=9

Mike

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”