Empowering Group Program Run-through - Lesson 14

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
Ninjafrodo2

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through - Lesson 14

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 am

Good luck with the appointment THH I like your self encouraging, "I can do it" talk...thats great positive talk.... and also its hard to tell for sure but I do feel more calm with the herbs.

ForeverYoung;
It definately sounds like you are having a hard time right now...and my suggestion is to really look at what you are saying to yourself right now. Right now there doesn't seem to be a very serious emergency going on in your life right now and instead you are scaring yourself. You are having alot of upper back pain and neck pain you said and i'm really not suprised, I've noticed you have felt more stressed and pressured since the part in the program about facing limitations and those areas you feel pain are the main place that stress manifests itself in the body and it can continue to build up if it isn't addressed so of course you're going to have those pains....and if you're adding additional physical tension on your muscles from lifting or holding your grandchildren well that could also influence the issue.

So what if you haven't finished lesson 13 yet....big deal! Its really not the end of the world and you can do that after we finish this lesson. There are a few things I didn't accomplish on a couple of lessons myself which i'm planning to go back and work on afterwards. But if it bothers you that much then spend 30 minutes here and there or an hour...it doesn't have to be all at once.

Mike

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I am feeling better since I last posted. I was getting myself worked up over physical symptoms. I was thinking the worst. I finally with lots of prayer and studying scriptures which helps me a lot brought me back down. I read lesson 13 and will listen to lesson 14 today and maybe read the workbook.

THH you are right I am going to finish this and I need to keep working on this till I get it right. rome was not built in a day so I need to keep going forward. I have got to find out what I want to do with the rest of my life and work toward that. I need to face my fears but I don't have to do that all at once. hope you have a good day.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

ForeverYoung;
There you go see, there is no danger and you can still catch up and do what you haven't done yet...theres no emergency or anything seriously at risk by doing it that way. :D

THH

Post by THH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Today was a good day. I drove my mom to her eye appt. and all went well. I am proud of myself for the success I had. I did get a little up tight this morning getting ready. It was the anticipation of all the timers and the wondering if I will have a panic attack. I picked a less traveled road and it was easy for me. I reminded myself I had lots of time and even if I am a little late the doctors always run late.
It reminded me of my first driving panic attack. something's I do not remember but I happened to identify with a flash back so to speak. My mom was in the hospital in a far away town taken in as a emergency and they wanted to do some surgery on her. I was in a panic state and had to drive on unfamiliar roads. It was a big city with tons of traffic and bridges & pouring down rain ect... I had the classic freak out. I actually went 2 MPH as I was looking for a place to pull over to get out of traffic. I did not know it was a panic attack. Later I was able to label it and since then I have picked and chosen my roads. That came into my mind today. After going though this program so many times, I realize I had set up my perfect storm so to speak. I reminded my self that I am rested, good roads, no emergency's, good weather - I'm good. It is not going to happen. And it didn't! :)
I did not have to go on any really scary roads, but I did have to go someplace I never have been.
Another big deal was Forever Young, the elevator!!! Going in... I drug my mom up 2 flights of steps as I always use them. She was winded and when we left she wanted to take the easy way. I climbed in - only one floor but no real worries. So I do feel like it was a good day.

Thanks to you both for the encouragement! Forever Young so glad you feel better. That is great.
Mike, how are you doing? You have not posted much about how things are going for you? The positive self talk was very helpful and I had time to prepare my mind for the day. All this helped me keep control of my thoughts and put things in a positive way. ;)

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:25 pm

you are doing so good. It is funny how our minds remember that first attack. Did you ever get to where you couldn't drive? I was feeling the anxiety with you. I can tell I want to feel anxious I tell my self it is only anxiety. The elevator oh my but you did it. you are really do good I am so proud of you. How far was this drive? I am into distance.

THH

Post by THH » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I drove 27 miles each way! I have always been able to drive, at times I would get major anxiety depending on where I had to drive to. I also pick my times and pick my roads that I have to drive on. If I have to go to an appt. I will pick the better time slots with min. traffic. If I have to take what ever they have, I choose my roads differently.
I have never gotten to where I was simply afraid to drive. Thankfully! My grandmother never drove a car. It was hard for me to believe esp. now days, but even back then, I wanted to get out and did not want to walk or depend on someone else. I like to drive so I can go if I want to, it does give one a lot of control.

I was listening to session 15 I remember something and I also think Mike mentioned this. Try to feel the fear. I have been doing this and it seams to work well thus far. Rather than be afraid of what your fearing, feel that feeling of fear, let it go. Breathe through it, assure your self that this is anxiety, your memory, your thoughts, nothing else. It will leave you or lesson and go on. If I do this it seams to help and it is just a blip in the day rather than my whole day.

Forever Young, do you drive at all? Have you gone places by yourself? Just wondering...
I too like to get some strength from bible verses. I also think of my posture. When I get in those places, my posture seams sloppy and I look down a lot. I then focus on standing straight and make myself put my shoulders back and even look up some. I think good posture helps in breathing, I seam to breathe deeper this way. Just thoughts on what I have been paying attention to.

Hope you guys are having a good day. :D

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:51 am

THH I drive to my small town which is 7 miles and to my daughters which is 10 miles. I got to where I couldn't drive at all and was almost house bound for a year. I have trouble going places with someone driving me even. I had my first panic attack in the mts of tenn. I feel that is why I hate isolated places and like the interstate. It amazes me you had the worst pain attack on the road and never fear them now unless you never quit going. This condition is weird how it effects people differently. but we are so different in our likes and dislikes. I wish I could do better this is the worst for me and now my HA has raised its ugly head. I need to start working on these areas.

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”