The Challenge...Lesson 14

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
Paisleegreen

Re: The Challenge...Lesson 14

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

THH-Thanks for posting the card concepts. I have the cards now, but have I looked at them since my trip to my sister's, No. Ugh. But I have listened to the Session CD many, many times. I am amazed that I don't have the anxiety symptoms as much as they use to be. I can actually sleep on my stomach and lay my hands on my abdomen without feeling any discomfort from the pressure. It really is a miracle! I also ate a concoction that DH fixed, clam chowder w/ potatoes from a can with some corn from a can. I actually could eat it and feel no ill effects from it. Plus for me to eat clam chowder is a miracle. Growing up I never liked anything that was rubbery feeling. So I've come a long way, i still won't eat Escargot, thought! :lol: Paislee :mrgreen:

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:36 pm

THH
I know I didn't spend as long as you did with those things but I was alive before the internet came out. I was born around the time of the 8 tracks, the videogame era was just beginning and yes we had those long cord phones as well, even the phones that you had to put your fingers in those little holes and turn that plastic wheel many times to call people. You could fill up a tank of gas with $20 and I don't even think we had cassett players for a short while either. So I know what you're talking about.

Yeah well I usually don't eat white sugary things, I get my sugar from fruit and usually that is good enough but when someone brings cake and pie I feel that I need to eat it. Its like I feel left out and like I'm giving up the opportunity to feel those good feelings from the good taste but I totally disregard the bad things I get from eatting it. It really does make us feel heavy and then for me it just extra long for it to pass through my system and then it just gets stuck and interferes.

Don't know about posting taking awhile...are you talking about the words typing out slowly or you talking about taking awhile after you hit the submit button?

As for the site being sold, I have no evidence to support that but I do know that they are using diffrent software now and it has glitches and bugs and stuff that are being worked out.

I agree we need more focus on this. I think what happens is either people give up before getting here, they feel better before reaching this point or they lose the need to post because they are confident that they can do the rest on their own.

Good idea to point those 2 things out. It is very similar to lesson 2 in the way that it talks about external and internal stressors. The environmental is the external and the emotional is the internal. I also marked all of them except 2 so you are not alone in this one. I did that on my first run through as well as all my others and this one too! You are down to 4 so that is an awesome sign of accomplishment and success.

Paisleegreen
You remember the pumpkin pie thing eh? Yeah that was horrible! and I keep blocking out those situations in the past and only focusing on how awesome it'll taste and then I suffer. Definately something I need to work on. Maybe I could just make my own pies and cakes instead that aren't as addictive and bad for me.

I'm glad you have something that you enjoy. Follow your bliss but don't pull a me and push yourself to the point where you become overwhelmed and resent yourself. It really doesn't feel very good now, does it?

cj20520
Wow that is some pressure there! I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle those situations, just so tempting!!!

I actually prefer chatting on the forums, I get really overwhelmed in chat because there is so much going on and the talks are mostly about problems and such. I try to avoid that as much as I can.

Mike
Last edited by NinjaFrodo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Ooooops!
Ok so I made a booboo! I just went through lesson 14 in the book today and realized there actually were action assignments. I'm not sure how I missed them but because of this I'm extending lesson 14 till Wednesday so we can do the action assignments and share in our experiences or ask questions on how to do them.

Action Assignments
1)Do the basics everyday

2)Make a list of every stressor that you can remember fromt he last four weeks. If your psider plants aren't having babies and you've given this more than 2 minutes of thought time, list that also. Could you have avoided any of these? How many of them did you create? Which stressors were worth the time you gave them?

3)List the positive changes you make this week as you manage your stress better

4)Ask 2 people in your life to remind you to stop, breath 2-4, and ask if this stressor is an important as my initial response. Construct a diffrent plan of action

5)Practice your humor skills every day

6)Smile at least 5 X a day with 3 diffrent people

7)Spend at least 10 minutes picking out a humourous card for a friend

8)Share something positive with your significant other or a good frind(s) each day.

9)Make a date with friends to go to a comedy club or funny movie

10)This week look for and write down 3 of the small things you find still cause stress for you. (These are usually things youa re still over-reacting to. Practice under-reacting)

11)Don't miss the benefits of exercise as a stress reliever. According to research, stress reduction can last 2 to 4 hours after aerobic activity. Maybe we can run away from our troubles?

12)Hang out with positive, optimistic and humorous people this week

13)Pursuing a healthy lifestyle is an ongoing process. Order a self-improvement book that StressCenter recommends.

14)At the end of each day this week review your day: What new or good thing happened to you today? Did you see the sun rise? Set? Did you smell the particular season you are in? Did you receive a compliment today? Did you give a compliment today?

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

All
So I've been working with the law of attraction for about a week now as well as this one guided meditation where it says to breath in the feelings and experiences I want and breath out what I don't want and I think it has helped me remember an insight I had forgotten about awhile ago that had helped me out. I have also added a bit to it as well.

A friend of mine a year or 2 ago got me this really awesome looking book full of blank pages. It is red and black material and has a japanese character on the front of it and I had no idea what to do with the book because it was just very special. I finally realized I can put quotes and insights in it and so I made it my "Book of Wisdom" and I wrote out the insight I was just talking about which is;

I have already overcome the anxiety many times but it keeps coming back and isn't satisfactory and not my true goal. My goal is to enjoy life, experience deeper levels of positive feelings and increase my physical well being so thats what I'll focus on.

Another insight to add to this;

While a positive goal is positive and productive, so are the feelings it creates when thinking of it and acting on it. Negative goals are negative and destructive so are the feelings it creates when thinking and acting on it. Positive focused goals are limitless, negative focused goals are limited.

(In other words by focusing on overcoming the anxiety we are just focused on it not bothering us and everytime it does bother us we get to feel like crap, worthless, inferior, hopeless and even more anxious. If we focus on enhancing our feelings of love, excitement, compassion, happiness, joy, passion, courageousness, determination...ect, then we can feel good everytime we do something that creates those feelings and if we are thinking about this as our goal then we are already starting to experience the feelings...unless you are telling yourself it is impossible and then you aren't feeling them. You can always increase positive emotions, you are in control of that but you cannot make less anxiety by focusing on it. You can make less anxiety by focusing on what you do want, the accomplishments you do make and working on bringing more of the emotions into your life that you want.)

I'm thinking I could put this insight together with my new values list and my to-do list and come up with goals to increase those emotions and my to-do list will be my daily goal list and will give options of what I can do to achieve those emotion goals instead of what I have to do to overcome the anxiety and depression and overcome all these other problems I have.

What is easier?;
Overcoming anxiety and depression or increasing the time spent feeling good?
Overcoming the stiffness in my hips or increasing my flexibility of my hips?
Stopping negative and irrational thoughts or increasing positive and rational thoughts?
Stopping eatting bad foods or increasing eatting good foods?
Cleaning my room or making it more comfortable to be in?
Increasing my skills from the program to avoid anxiety or increasing my skills to enhance my life?
Getting to sleep every night at 11am or increasing the quality of my sleep?
Fixing problems or finding solutions?
[The comparing by the way is not the law of attraction or at least not just the law of attraction but the law of relativity as well. Things are only harder/easier, good/bad, better/worse when you compare them to something or someone else]

Mike

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Hello everybody,

WOW lesson 14. It seems to be the perfect subject. Stress, lately it seems that we can't llive without it. Did you know that a question that I was asked in almost every job interview is "How do you handle stress?"... It seems like every employer is aware that working for them is going to be stressful.
It seems like life has become a running and rushing... Well, I try not to get into the rush, I used to work 12 hours a day, trying to show that I was a hard working woman, and at the end life kept going and I missed a lot.
It is not easy to separate one thing from another. I like working with my husband, however the house needs the extra income that comes when I work somewhere else. And working usually means stress.
Now I am taking my time to seach for a job. If it is going to be stressful, at least I have to be well paid for it. There are still too many things that I would like to do here at home and at the print shop, my only concern is the economic situation.

THH and Paislee,
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling good. I am convinced that getting sick is a way that our bodies tell us that we need to slow down and take time for ourselves. So, listen to your body and take it easy. Nothing more important than taking care of yourself.

Mike,
Since you mention about how your digestive system affects other areas in your life, I have been more careful to pay attention to my digestive system. I have made a few changes in my diet, I have reduced the amount of animal product in my meals and that has helped. I have added physillum husk to my daily routine and I avoid dairy products too. I have been feeling better and my system seems to be regulating itself.
I still struggle with desserts, well if there is anything at home I have to eat it. It is like "this is the last piece of pie that I will ever have in my life, so I have to eat as much as I can"... which is not true, there will be other pies or cakes in my life, I don't have to finish it. In trying to understand this, I think that it has to do with my brother being born 9 months after I was born. I guess I didn't have enough attention from my mom, can you imagine?... I wasn't even 1 month old when my mom was pregnant again.
I like the idea of your "Book of Wisdom"... I probably will steal the idea from you. ;)
Also the "What is easier?" questions, they are great.

Paislee,
Something that I learned from the Flylady is to not think about all the things that I haven't done, but instead focus on doing a little every day. I enjoy working on the garden too, however sometimes it becomes overwhelming. I just remind myself to take it easy, it is a work in progress.
I also think that a year ago I was almost home bound due to the anxiety, I am doing much better, but I still have some work ahead of me.

Thank you all for being here
Hope

THH

Post by THH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Hope,
So good to hear from you!
That is interesting that your job interviews ask about how people handle stress! It proves to me our society is not compatible with living a good life! With that being said, I do understand the economic need. Be proud how far you have come, and I like the idea your thinking about what you might be well suited to do. You will find something....

I'm still not feeling well, it is a loooong one! It has to pass soon!

We are here for each other... ;)

Mike,
I like your book of wisdom! ;)
I think for me, I always will have anxiety. ( Stress = anxiety ) It is up to me how I handle the stress, by working on the things this program teaches us, it gives us things to learn about ourselves. We choose our reaction/ it takes alot to incorporate all these things into my life and rely on it as second nature. Some things seam sorta easy, others are more difficult. I am happy with my progress. I am not free of it. ( anxiety )
I get knocked down, but I get up again! (Remember that tune!) :D

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e07mN7NrcWEPaul Lowe on living in the moment

mcshope
Hi mcshope
Good observation. I believe I've heard that question in my interviews as well but with diffrent words like "how would you be able to handle a difficult situation?" I can imagine that working 12 hour days would do that, I mean we have 24 hours a day and we are suppose to sleep 8 hours and if you are working for 12 hours then you only have 4 hours left and you still need to make food, eat, shower, run errands. That would be very sad for me too. That in itself would make me depressed.

Well stress can certainly be apart of work but so can satsifaction and fulfillment. It really depends on your perception as there is so much going on in any situation but our perception or lense can only take in a small percentage of that whole thing. Perhaps you focus on doing something that creates a feeling of satsifaction, joy and excitement...how stressed would you feel if your job was like that?

Here is a video I think you might benefit from. Its from Ester Hicks (a lady from the secret) who I'd say is probabbly one of the main people of that video. Her video is really interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdjFYo4clI

Thats really awesome, it does feel alot lighter on the system as well doesn't it? What has improved from making those changes?

I hear you with the desserts. Usually I do not even have them in my house but I live with a few other people and they offer it to me and it is so hard to pass up especially with thoughts like the one you mention. Also good replacement for it!

Wow she didn't wait then did she? I'm not quite sure how the cake thing and the not enough attention thing connect, maybe you could go into some more detail?

The book of wisdom is a great thing and actually I stole it from Xena Warrior Princess. I have wanted to create a book like that for a long time and I hadn't even realized it until now that I wanted to do that. It was really cool in the show and just seemed so special so whenever i look at the book or write in it, I get that same feeling! I like to put things that remind me to stay on track with my path and bring me back if I slip into old habits. My favorate quote in there is "End the war between the mind and the heart and anything is possible"

Those were some really awesome questions weren't they? I got inspired or maybe in-spirit and they just came out of me.

In your situation with work maybe these could help;
Which is easier?
Getting a job or getting an interview?
Having an interview or having a conversation?
Winning someone over or building rapport with someone?
Looking for a job or attracting a job?

THH
The book of wisdom is awesome! I could share some of what I put in there if you are interested.

That was very beautiful. I too make that stress = anxiety, connection. You have accepted that you will have anxiety but also are confident that you can handle it, that is a very big sign of growth :). You are also happy even if you have anxiety, thats awesome! I definately need to dowload that song now or even the video and put it on my iphone. I never thought of it in the regards to anxiety, at least not like this. Its like anxiety knocks us down but we get back up and never stay down! Great message!

MIke

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Action Assignments
#3- List all the changes I've made this week as I manage my stress better

-Focused on how I left the painful situation of my past a long time ago and am separating who I was then from who I am now
-Slowing down with my actions and thoughts
-Stopped forcing myself to listen to music while going to the gym
-Look at pictures of things that make me happy and I smile whole heartedly
-Underloading my day
-Starting to allow for negative thoughts to come up instead of fighting them and resisting them and telling myself I shouldn't think them
-Visualizing having what I want and spending less time focusing on what I don't want and what's wrong with my life
-Watching more shows online whereas before I didn't leave myself enough time and then felt bad for not giving me the opportunity to do fun things
-Started thought replacement again and reminded myself to catch the lie in the thought instead of try to push myself to feel better
-Not putting as much emphasis on being tired or exhausted due to anxiety
-Allowing myself to sing music which I really enjoy but didn't give myself enough time for
-Got back into journaling
-Started to read "The power of now"
-Reducing the time spent on anticipating anxiety and the exhaustion I get from it
-Reduced the sizes of my meals
-Reduced natural sugar intake
-Added lentils, chickpeas and beans to my diet
-Added more vegetables to my diet
-Started making smoothes with vegetables
-Changed my focus from overcoming my anxiety to increasing my positive feelings and enhancing the quality of life
-created my book of wisdom
-started to accept negative thoughts when they arise
-Evaluate progress based on comparisson between similar situations in the past. ie past up day with current up day, past down energy day with current down energy day
-Focusing on things to climb up the emotional ladder and make myself a little better when I'm feeling really down or in a really strong negative state.
-Created a book for the changes I make while improving my life

Action Assignment #14 Review and journal what new or good thing happened.

Well it definately felt better to focus on the positives and the accomplishments. I must say that I liked writing that stuff down alot more than my problems. I did however write out about some struggles that I had and how I would handle the situation next time and that felt pretty good instead of going into great detail with all the negative stuff.

Mike

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

I love all of your replies, THH, NInja, Hope, I agree that I must not overdo the gardening and wear myself out. And definitely with Flylady to not look at all that needs to get done, but what I accomplished for the day.

One thing that I learned after listening to Lucinda's CD that was in my van, was about Excitement. A lightbulb moment, so to speak, was that the Excitement feelings that I might be feeling could also be for "fun" anticipation, not always for panicky feelings. So that is my Goal is to look at the Excitement "gut" feelings as a response to the anticipation of a good upcoming event that I'm preparing for that is a good thing and will be a fun thing once I'm in that environment. My thoughts about it are causing anticipatory anxiety, but I need to look at it as good feelings, not bad as in the past. Does this make sense, since I'm tired? :P

Ninja, I like your Book of Wisdom and I'm going to start looking forward to doing more fun things and I have a play date with a friend to see a movie or do something fun. :D Tonight I did record a PBS special on Johnny Mathis and I relaxed and enjoyed watching and listening to him sing such Wonderful and Happy songs. :D Paisleegreen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm

THH,
Yes, I agree, our society is not compatible with living a good life. Now everybody wants to be able to “multitask”. The reality is that multitasking is not real or healthy. And we wonder why there are so many kids with ADHD.
To give the best of us we need to focus on one thing at a time. To try to focus on 2 or more is simply a sure way to do both half way. However now days we believe that multitasking is a quality.
Did you know that there are other countries where doing things in a slow way is actually what is expected. Projects take more than a year to be created and planned. I have found some interesting websites about the “slow movement”.

http://www.theworldinstituteofslowness.com/home

http://www.slowfood.com/international/1/about-us

http://slowdownnow.org/
THE PARADOX OF OUR TIME

We have bigger houses but smaller families;
more conveniences, but less time;
We have more degrees, but less sense;
more knowledge, but less judgement;
more experts, but more problems;
more medicines, but less healthiness;
We've been all the way to the moon and back,
but have trouble crossing the street to meet
the new neighbor.
We build more computers to hold more
information to produce more copies then ever,
but have less communication;
We have become long on quantity,
but short on quality.
These are times of fast foods
but slow digestion;
Tall men but short character;
Steep profits but shallow relationships.
It's a time when there is much in the window,
but nothing in the room.

The 14th Dalai Lama
Hope

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”