The Challenge...Lesson 14

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
NinjaFrodo

The Challenge...Lesson 14

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Almost there at the end of the challenge!

To start it off here is a video about stress. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5X8I_iClpk
This is the wrong way to handle stress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8KR8V1 ... re=related
Also the wrong way to handle stress

Here are the Action Assignments for lesson 14;
Well I guess they are more of action steps. So we can work on the action steps as well as the workbook info

#1 Stop and pay attention to the signals you have been recieving
#2 Breath use 2-4 for just one minute
#3 Observe - Is my body tense? Where are my shoulds? How does my stomach feel? Listen in on your thoughts. How long have I been thinking negatively, a few minutes, an hour?
#4 What is your plan for managing this stressor? Write it down, make a plan and work your plan
#5 Learn - Take your experience with every episode of stress and learn from it.

Mike

THH

Re: The Challenge...Lesson 14

Post by THH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Sorry for being behind....I'll start Wed. Thanks for understanding! Lesson 14 WOW!

OMG!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Those videos are GREAT! Both very funny. I think it is the technology lol.... I had visions of a semi running my computer over! LOL.... Thanks for sharing Mike.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

THH
You're kidding me right? Look at everything you have gone through and your appologizing for that? Why appologize on the behalf of life?

I really don't understand how the older generation doesn't understand technology, It baffels me...maybe its just your guys's belief that you won't understand it that makes it harder for you to understand it.

Whats been up with me
Well I made a rather dumb choice when I decided to eat cake (3 days in a row). I'm sure it had dairy in it and for sure it had sugar in it. It wasn't even a really good cake either but I think I got addicted to the sugar and well it did a number on my digestive system and my digestive system is already struggling as it is. So I have been feeling lethargic for the last week and had to flush out my system several times.

One of the issues i've found is that when I have digestive issues affecting me, It becomes alot harder to change my thoughts, alot easier to become lethargic and well to a degree I just give up on trying to work on my anxiety and just convince myself that it'll just make me more lethargic and not work at all. Its a really bad habit! I tell myself, "I'm too tired to replace my thoughts" or "It won't work because i'm too exhausted" or "I'm still going to be lethargic so whats the point?" I must say it becomes very difficult at that point but I probabbly need it the most at that point.

So i'm getting back into the swing of things and its just really funny how the universe sends me what I need to apply what I learn for each lesson. I have had several practice opportunities in order to change my response to stress, many of them having to do with my computer messing up and taking too long and then I start to think that the universe is doing this to me on purpose and then laughing at me. Its a rather funny visual if you think about it! So back to planning what I want to do during my days but not overplanning. Still taking it easy, still taking a break when I start to feel overwhelmed and still using guided meditations.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Mike,
I got my reading done!!! I didn't want to hold you all up. Thats all.
I'm getting sick! Geez... its like a head cold sinus thing. Oh well, I've had crap like this before. I exposed my self to alot of people the last few days so I picked up a virus. My husband as well. Oh boy both of us fighting for the couch, right! LOL... :mrgreen:

You have to keep in mind for us "older" ones, we lived almost 40 years without technology! We had rotary phones with cords longer than cell phone have been on the scene. We are able to learn, I think most of us waited awhile as we thought it was not here to stay! LOL... The hardest thing we did was answering machines! Our whole lives we all did things different. If our tires were low we would pull out our trusty gauge and check it and go to the gas station and put air in them. Now we have sensors that detect a low tire and you must hunt for air, and pay for it too! LOL....Just changes, and we all know how we hate that! :shock:

Week 14 ----How to keep stress from becoming anxiety
* You can stress yourself out just lying in bed. ----------------( I know this to be true!)
* I am worth taking care of.
* I don't have to do things to get love.
* I am a great prioritizer.
* I will under-react.
* There is always time for ME.
* One of the messages sent by depression is: Please change.

"I can't control the events in my life, but I can control my reaction.

Side 2:
My choices are:
1. Eliminate.
2. Modify.
3. Choose your attitude.

We are responsible for how we feel:
1. Stress is something we talk ourselves into.
2. Use your relaxation audio session.
3. Exercise.
4. Be reasonable.
5. Choose a different, less anxious, response. I will talk myself to "peaces"
Last edited by THH on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THH

Post by THH » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

I too feel bad when I eat lots of sweets. Esp cake, pie. Lots of times when I eat a good meal, I always want something a little sweet. Usually a cookie will do. For some reason cake lays heavy in my stomach. I cut them in very small pieces when I do eat a piece.
I think it is true when we have a physical thing it is much harder to focus!

Also I noticed when I posted it took a long time to get it done. I'm not so sure it is your computer, it maybe this site again? Does anyone know what is going on with the site? I heard a rumor that it sold? I'm not sure how that works as the mid west center designed this program, but who knows? I know it has been having its share of trouble.

I'm glad your getting back in the swing of things too! I'll read my book tonight on session 14. I think these last ones need talked about as it seams like not much posted in the later sessions.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:45 pm

I am starting to feel a bit sickish myself today. I do want to report that I've been outside and working in my garden. I really feel great and yet sometimes a little overwhelmed at the work that got neglected last summer due to my anxiety. Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Glad to see you THH and Mike, you have got to watch your eating. Remember the pumpkin pies incident? LOL! :)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I do have to report though, that this morning I wasn't feeling as perky and felt real sleepy, but wanted to take a bath and wash my hair. I finally got into the waiting bathtub, just to get out and start playing Lucindas CD on scary thoughts, because I was feeling scared and I was in my bathroom with that all white tile. I felt better when I could hear Lucinda talk about scary thoughts.
But later while working in my garden I wasn't feeling so good as well, so I can only surmise that I might have a bug that is disrupting my system. I didn't want to rest so I overworked myself because I knew rain was forecast. I only stopped when it actually started pouring rain.

cj20520

Post by cj20520 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello All:
I did the cake thing too. My husband brought it home, just a slice, but you know sizes have gotten out of control. I only ate a third, but one of the girls at work brought me some of her homemade truffles, and so I felt obligated to eat a couple right there. You would think that was enough, but oh no, my son decided to bring home a banana cream pie. Yep, but just a small piece. Lesson learned, ouch!!!!

Because mine was self inflicted I don't feel bad for me, but I do hope you all feel better soon. Just think, if the chat was working, we could all talk at the same time instead of like this.

CJ

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi CJ--Truffles and Banana Cream Pie, both my favorites! Sometimes we are our own worst enemy! :D Paislee :mrgreen:

THH

Post by THH » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I thought it was a good thing to point out in our book it talks about the 2 differences in stress. Environmental ---these are impossible to eliminate, we can never control. And Emotional stresses- being self- imposed.
On the behavior warning signs of problems with stress I had them all marked except 2! :o ( on my first run through)
This time I am down to 4! ( That is still high better than the first but still need to work on this harder! )
Practice coping techniques ( sessions 2,3,6,7,& 14 ) Back I go.... :mrgreen: Don't forget humor!

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”