Grandma just had a stroke/Grandma has mild dementia

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
mlrb

Post by mlrb » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted here. I've done the program twice, this time, I'm sooooooooo much better.I've been pretty positive, but now, my grandparents are sick. My grandfather was in the hospital last month, he's now home with my mom. My grandma, unfortunately, just had a stroke and is paralyzed on her right side of her body and can't talk. This happened last week. Yesterday, she did speak a little, but she is very weak. It's so hard to see her like this. I have been really stressed from all of this. How do I handle it? Do I keep going on and be happy? Or do I just sit and be miserable? Sometimes I feel like I have to just worry about her. I've been nervous, dizzy, very dizzy, feel like my blood pressure is higher, feel like I'm going to fall. I know this is OK, but is it OK to go on and exercise, take walks....etc? My mouth has also been very dry, and I'm getting stupid symptoms and once in a while a stupid thought.

To top it off, my family is fighting. Anyone ever been through this? Please respond.

Melanie

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Melanie:
Yes, it is perfectly all right for you to go on and be happy. You can't improve your grandmother's condition by being sad.
Also it will be very good if you go on and exercise. You will feel better and actually that will be better for your grandmother.

My dear, people do grow old and things happen to them as the body ages. But the youth always go on. They ahve to. That is just life.

I am older and I could have a stroke. If I should have that happen, I assure you that I'd want my grandchildren to go on and be happy. To get on with their lives.

You see, someday their time will come and they will slow down too. Everyone does. But right now, while they can, I want them to be happy and enjoy their life. I already had my youth.

As for your family fighting right now, well that sometimes happen in a crisis. That will pass. Everyone feels somewhat sad. And they , too, don't exactly know what the next step is.

These things are hard. I understand that. I know it is hard for you to see your grandparents failing.
I assure you that they want you to go with your life. They want you to be yourself and be happy.
Yes there is this kind of sadness. But you will get thru' it.
God bless you!
MJ

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”