Moving backwards?

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
gidge980

Post by gidge980 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I am on week 14 of the program. I started back in April and felt really good throughout the summer. Now work has started again (I am a teacher) and this year's class is quite challening. I am feeling very anxious, starting from when my eyes open every morning. I try the positive dialogue, I listen to the relaxation tape, I try using the strategies that I've learned throughout the program. But my body symptoms have all been coming back, full force! One symptom was heartburn, and I've been on Nexium for it. I was able to ween back to one every other day over the summer, but now the burning is very strong even with the meds. My throat tightens also as a symptom. I guess my questions are these:
Is it normal to be experiencing this?
Why am I unable to use the strategies to combat these feelings?
Shouldn't I be getting better, not worse?

My doctor has prescribed Zanax as a helper on days that I am feeling really bad, but I haven't used it yet. I just need to know what's going on.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Being a teacher myself, I totally understand except for the fact that I just started the program so I'm hoping this will relieve my anxiety and stress. My doctor prescribed me the same thing, Zanax, and I haven't dared take it yet. Maybe go through some of the cd's you found most helpful..session 2?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Gidge and Aimee:

I too am in the school system and had the entire summer off, also started in May, 08. I had a great summer, it was amazing and such a growing experience for me. I was calm, healthy, and more importantly, learning and applying all the skills I learned from the Program. I finished the program in August and started school in September. I was OK for the first two months back, but since last week, the stress of the school year has gotten to me. I think it is the stress of everyday battles with kids and lots of noise and being "on" constantly at work. I also have two kids of my own which their schedules and schoolwork is so demanding. I am experiencing obessions, and anxiety symptoms first thing in the morning too. I hate it,,,but I'm looking at this setback as a learning tool. This is the time to apply all of what I learned to this episode. I don't know how long it will last, I do know it's time for me to back off and re-evaluate and take care of me. I've started listening to the program again...I'm on session 4 and doing all the homework over. I've started to re-read some of the books that were helpful to me the first time I went through the program. I'm sorry for your pain...but hearing that you are in the exact same boat as me, and started the program around the same time as well, is helping me to understand this setback better. I wish you all the luck and peace with these feelings. I think being a teacher and giving so much of yourself every day is very stressful....take time for yourself and listen to the cd's again. Aimee, hang in there, keep up with the program and you'll see great results. These setbacks are just as important to recovery as the peaceful periods are. They teach us just a little bit more and we come out with that much more understanding.

Take Care,
Lynn

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:54 am

I once heard that we have to back through the same doors we went through. So, look at it as a good sign, that you are coming back out the same way you went in, and as you use your skills on each issue you get closer and closer to the top.

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”