Laid off!! Hard not to be stressed out!

Stress can keep you down. Stress can also help you create. Learn to make stress a positive force in your life.
leajay983

Post by leajay983 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Just lost my job May 9th and I go from being okay with and am in the application process for going back to school~ yay! :D But I worry about $$ and it's hard not to stress about it. I try to just believe things will work out...I won't find out if I can collect unemployment until at least 5/27 and I should be able to but...what if I can't...then what?? I have applied for several jobs in the healthcare field (I graduated from a Medical Assistant Program several years ago), all at hospitals...2nd shift or nights so my days will be freed up for school.

I'm REALLY excited about school! I'm going back for Surgical Tech..I hope I get in (the Head of Allied Health thinks I should be able to get in) but again I worry about "what if I don't"? I'll go back anyway and take the "core" courses and reapply for the Surg Tech program...guess I just answered my own quesion/worry there!

Any advice? What would you do in my position? I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and hope for the best..what will be, will be...but sometimes it's not easy :(

Thank you in advance.. I'm so glad I found this program or I would be a basket case right now! :eek:

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 pm

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE STRESS . I LOST MY JOB THIS WEEK AFTER BEING WITH THE COMPANY FOR 8 YEARS I HAD INSURANCE AND EVERYTHIN NOW I HAVE NOTHING. I WAS TERMINATED BECAUSE I COULD NOT WORK MY FULL TIME POSITION .I WORK AT QVC THE SHOPPING CHANNEL I HAVE BEEN ON A MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE FOR TRIGIMINAL NEURALGIA IN MY FAC AFTER HAVING A SIMPLE TOOTH EXTRACTION WHICH THEN BROUGHT BACK MY PANICK AND ANXEITY ATTACKS AGAIN . QVC HAS A POLICY IF YOU ARE OUT 182 DAYS U MUST BE BACK WORKING ON THE 183 RD DAY IF YOU CANT U WILL BE TERMINATED .WELL I TRIED TO GO BACK AND COULDNT I LASTED MY WHOLE 8 HR SHIFT BUT HAD TOO MANY PANICK ATTACKS THAT DAY IT WAS UNREAL GOT REALLY SICK . THEN THEY ALSO TOLD ME I HAD TO WORK 14 CONSECUTIVE DAYS FULL 8 HR SHIFTS TO BE CONCIDERD ACTIVLY WORKING SO I ASKED THEM IF I COULD JUST GO PART TIME AND AT LEAST STILL STAY WITH THE COMPANY THEY SAID NO THEY COULD NOT LET ME DO THAT WITHOUT FIRST WORKING THE 14 CONSECUTIVE DAYS 8 HR DAYS . I HAD 150 HRS VACTION COMING TO ME 32 LEFT OVER FROM LAST YEAR AND 56 SICK HRS OF SICK TIME THAT THEY ALSO SAID I COULDNT USE EITHER UNTIL I PUT THE 14DAYS IN WELL THEY HAD ME THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD DO IT I WAS LIKE YOU KNOW ITS HARD ENOUGH WHEN U COME OFF VACATION AND TRY TO WORK YOUR FIVE DAYS LET ALONE COMING OFF A MEDICAL LEAVE .. BUT THEY SAID RULES ARE RULES SO TODAY IM TERMINATED CANT COLLECT UNEMPLOYEMNT BECAUSE I CANT WORK.SO ITS UNREALL

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

opps sorry everyone didnt know the caps lock was on im so sorry !!

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 1:56 am

:roll: :( ;) <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I'm so sorry!! At least I am able to work, although I was on medical leave for 3 months last fall due to anxiety and depression (and my husband..ugh...but that's another story! Did QVC at least reimburse you for your vacation and sick time that you didn't use? I hope so! Are you alone or do you have a spouse or someone else you can depend on? Although in my case, I have a spouse, but I can't depend on him..he's TERRIBLE with $$ and he makes alot more than me ...he spends it as fast as he makes it!! Argh!! So no help there! Maybe you can apply to your town for assistance or the state...I know this can be humiliating but you can'l live on no income. I will lose my health benefits as of Friday (they gave me 2 weeks severance) so I stocked up on my prescriptions for the next 4 months at least. Has the Program been helping you cope? It has for me but it's still scary and anxiety-producing in this situation so if you're experiencing anxiety or even depression give yourself a break..it's normal to feel this way under these circumstances (I'm telling MYSELF this as much as I am telling you!) Take care...let me/us know how you're doing, k? Things will get better...hang in there!</span>

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 5:10 am

It's always stressful when/if you lose a job. Sounds like you have already figured out what you will do in lieu of worrying - going back to school and even what you will do if you don't immediately get accepted to the program you want - Good for you!

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 5:44 pm

leajay983
Yes im married so i have my husband , but he sounds like yours !!! I been married for 32 years dont know how sometimes !! No QVC has not yet paid for my vacation pay or sick time that i have coming to me they said that would be my last check .Im still waiting for my short term disability claims appeal to either be aproved or denied. I was getting the short term at first then they stopped paying me in Feb because the doctor had wrote in his notes that i was having anxiety attacks with the neuralgia and they dont concider anxiety or panick attacks a disability .
so i shall see what happens .

I just cant belive QVC did that to me .What a stupid rule making someone work after a medical leave 14 consecutive days 8 hour shifts and then i asked to go part time and they said they couldnt do that. It would be more of a expense to keep me as a full timer than a part time person i would think..
Thanks

Post by Guest » Wed May 21, 2008 6:12 pm

I see the most positive thing being that you said you were EXCITED about going back to school for surgical tech training. Have any idea how many people work at jobs they hate or don't like (me, for instance)??

From my perspective, you are very fortunate you know what you want & it is a source of joy or at least good feelings. Knowing what one really wants is often the hardest thing. You got it. You'll get there.

You're worried about how, but you will get there. Keep focusing on where you want to be & the way will be shown to you. And do it one day at a time instead of peering out into the unknowable future & trying to figure it all out. Praying, journaling, talking to friends all help. Just do what you need to do today to get you there. Focus on the here & now as best you can. That's all you can control.

Blessings to you.

Return to “Session 14 - How to Keep Stress from Becoming Anxiety”